Author Topic: Proven Recipes  (Read 2341 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Proven Recipes
« on: December 23, 2017, 12:01:54 AM »
This thread is for recipes that you have made at least twice.  Don't post interesting recipes here that you found on the Internet or in an old cookbook that look really good and you hope to try someday.  :laugh:  Those are fine; just post them in a different thread.

I'll start out with an easy one.  This is great for when I have to make something for an office "Goody Day" or a church potluck and have no time.  And if you serve it warm you don't even have to frost it, but the texture is a little weird w/o the frosting.  (no fat and no dairy)

Swedish Pineapple Cake (a.k.a. Mexican Wedding Cake)

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
2 eggs
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, with juice

Grease a 13x9x2” baking dish.  In large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.  Add nuts, eggs, and pineapple, and mix well by hand. Pour into prepared pan.  Bake 35 minutes at 350°, or until toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean. Cool, then frost with cream cheese frosting.  For Mexican Wedding Cake, add 1 cup chopped pecans to cake batter, and 1/2 cup each chopped pecans and flaked coconut to frosting.  

I have no idea what's Swedish or Mexican about it; I didn't name it ;)

Cream Cheese Frosting:  8 ounces cream cheese,  2 tsp vanilla,  1/4 cup butter or margarine (1/2 stick),  1 pound powdered sugar  (note: this makes too much frosting)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 12:19:00 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
Pecan Pie
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 12:10:08 AM »
Bob's Pecan Pie
(This is a big recipe -- a 10" or deep dish 9 1/2" pie.  It will not fit in a 9" pan.)

4 eggs
13 Tbsp sugar (slightly rounded 3/4 cup measure)
1 1/3 cup dark Karo syrup
7 Tbsp salted butter
1 1/2 cup pecan halves

[notes: I usually use 1 cup of pecan halves and 1 cup of chopped walnuts instead of 1 1/2 cup pecans.  If I have light corn syrup instead of dark, I substitute brown sugar (packed) for the granulated sugar.]

Prepare the pastry shell and half-bake it while mixing the filling.

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Mix in the syrup and sugar, then the eggs. You can turn up the heat a little at this point if you want to. Mix continuously with a wire whisk until it is hot and starting to change color, but still thin. I've never measured it with a candy thermometer, but I guess it's about 150 to 160 degrees. You should be able to *uncomfortably* stick your finger in the filling without getting burned. Be careful not to scramble the eggs. If you don't mix the filling well enough, most of the butter floats to the top with the nuts when you bake it and the texture is not as good.

Add the nuts and mix them in well so they get thoroughly coated with the filling mixture. Pour the hot filling into the pie shell and bake at 375 until it just starts to puff up. By partially cooking the filling, the whole filling gets done at about the same time (about 30 minutes) and you don't have to mess with putting aluminum foil around the edge of the crust to prevent it from scorching or worry about whether the pie is done in the middle. Don't try to arrange pecan halves on top -- all the nuts need to be mixed in the filling so they float to the top and get candied. Start watching the pie at about 20 minutes so you don't overbake it.

It's a lot easier than it sounds.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Tested recipes
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 09:54:12 AM »
I'll move the recipe I put in the pancake topic on over here. Tested and delicious.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon white sugar

1 1/4 cups milk
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.
    Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/21014/good-old-fashioned-pancakes/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 07:16:25 AM »
INSTANT POTATO GNOCCHI

Millcreek originally posted this gnocchi recipe that uses instant potato flakes.

It's absolutely fantastic.

http://skillet.lifehacker.com/instant-potatoes-are-the-key-to-quick-delicious-gnocch-1797566583
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 07:18:12 AM »
CRANBERRY PECAN PIE

My mother first made this Cranberry Pecan Pie for the holidays some years ago, then forgot about it.

I rediscovered it a couple of years ago. It's absolutely fantastic. Regular pecan pie is WAY too sweet for me, but the tartness of the cranberries offsets the overwhelming sweetness of the base and the richness of the pecans.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cranberry-pecan-pie
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Proven Recipes
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 11:35:11 PM »
Please cut and paste your recipes to the Vetted recipes sticky.

BEN DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536