Author Topic: The Vouched Recipes Thread  (Read 25571 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
The Vouched Recipes Thread
« on: December 26, 2017, 11:32:18 PM »
Please post your vetted recipes here. (eventually the 1st post will be a list of the recipes listed)

Ideal would be for member that tried out a recipe posted by another member and it was a hit.

This eventually will be a table of contents post.

Please don't comment on posts in this topic, recipes only. Okay to put helpful hints or taste discription with the recipe.

Please post the recipe as text and include a url in the end of there is one. Do not just post a url since links do change or expire.

Thanks!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: The Vouched Recipes Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 11:58:10 PM »
Here's a canning and preserving recipe.  It's by far the best picante sauce recipe that I've found, and it does not require a pressure canner.

Chile Salsa
(from USDA bulletin 539)  yield: 6 to 8 pints

5 pounds tomatoes
2 pounds chile peppers
1 pound onions, chopped
1 cup vinegar (5%)
3 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper

Roast and peel peppers if they have tough skins (not necessary for jalapeño or Serrano), remove seeds and stems, chop.  Scald and peel tomatoes; chop.  Combine all ingredients in large saucepan.  Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes.  Ladle into pint jars, leave ½ inch headspace.  Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Notes: I generally use all jalapeños and don't remove the seeds.  You can safely substitute bottled reconstituted lemon juice for vinegar in canning recipes, and I find that ½ cup bottled lemon juice plus ½ cup white vinegar tastes better than using all vinegar (or all lemon juice.)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 07:28:58 AM »
INSTANT POTATO GNOCCHI

Millcreek originally posted this gnocchi recipe that uses instant potato flakes. Recipe with pictures, videos, and sauce recipes is here: https://skillet.lifehacker.com/instant-potatoes-are-the-key-to-quick-delicious-gnocch-1797566583

It's absolutely fantastic.

1 ½ cups of plain instant mashed potato flakes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
¾ cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting

Add the milk and butter to a small saucepan over low heat. When the butter has melted, add the potato flakes and stir to combine. You should have a dry, crumbly lump of mashed potatoes in your pan. Let it cool to room temperature.

Turn it out on a silicone baking mat or wherever you like to knead dough. Yes, you’ll need to knead here, but only in the slightest. Combine the potato and butter mixture with the egg and flour, and knead it until fully combined. If it’s sticky, dust it with a bit more flour.

Divide the dough into 4 equal sized portions, and get rolling. We’re after something resembling a rope, about ¾ inch thick.

Cut the ropes into ¾ inch thick pieces and set them aside for now, because you need to grab a fork.

The signature look of gnocchi can be obtained with an inexpensive unitasker— the gnocchi board — but the tines of the common dinner fork work equally well. Press one of the dumplings with the side of your thumb and press it into the tines. The gnocchi will flatten out a bit, so you’ll need to roll it back into a sort of half moon shape.

To cook, drop in boiling, salted water. Once they begin to float, boil for 30 more seconds and then drain. Serve with your favorite sauce.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 07:36:57 AM »
CRANBERRY PECAN PIE

One of the best pie recipes I've ever had. The tartness of the cranberries cuts the heavy sweetness of the other ingredients.

Pie Crust:
6 tablespoons shortening
1-1/2 teaspoons buttermilk
2 tablespoons hot water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Filling:
3 large eggs
1 cup light or dark corn syrup
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
1 cup chopped pecans

Beat shortening and buttermilk until blended. Gradually add water, beating until light and fluffy. Beat in flour and salt. Shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 425°.

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edge.

In a large bowl, whisk first five filling ingredients until blended. Stir in cranberries and pecans. Pour into crust.

Bake on a lower oven rack 10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake until filling is almost set, 35-40 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate, covered, overnight before serving.

If desired, serve with whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 02:14:38 PM »
BUTTERMILK CORNBREAD

1-1/2 c. yellow cornmeal
1/2 c. flour
2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1-1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. oil (anything clear and relatively tasteless) or bacon drippings (pork fat rules!)

Preheat oven to 450.

Combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Pour into a greased baking dish. Bake for 20-25 min or until GB&D. Let stand 10 min to cool before serving. Preferably with butter. Lots and lots of butter.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 02:39:49 PM »
ZUCCHINI BAKE

1 can crescent rolls
1/3 stick salted butter
4 c chopped or sliced zucchini (3-4 zucchini)
1 c chopped onion
3 eggs
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp mustard powder or 2 tsp prepared yellow or dijon mustard
1/2 lb shredded mozzeralla
large pinch pepper
1/2 tsp salt

Saute onion and zucchini in the butter until just beginning to get tender. Set aside to cool.

Press crescent roll dough into a greased 8x8 pan, enough to completely cover the bottom and sides.

Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the mozzarella. Add the cooled zucchini/onion mix and combine well. Pour into the baking dish and bake for 20-25 min or until crust browns. Placed under a broiler to brown the cheese, if desired.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 02:59:30 PM »
Lawdog's Texas Chicken Stew/Soup.

1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 medium yellow onion
olive oil
1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth (optional)
1 (14 ounce) can chili beans, don't drain
1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, don't drain
1 (14 ounce) can black beans, don't drain
1 (14 ounce) fire-roasted tomatoes
1 (10 ounce) can of mild Rotel tomatoes & chilies or 1 (10 ounce) can green chili peppers (if using fire roasted tomatoes), don't drain
2 (15 ounce) cans corn, (Drain them if making stew, don't drain if making soup)  Or a bag of frozen corn if you want to avoid the extra sodium.
1 (1 1/2 ounce) package of mild taco seasoning
1 (1 ounce) package ranch dressing mix

Directions:

1 Either in a Crockpot on High or a large stock pot on medium heat, empty the canned stuff and mix in the two packets of seasoning.
2 For best results use the "Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix.". (You can add Chili Powder to taste.)
3 Chop the onion and chop the chicken breast, then put both into a skillet with a bit of olive oil over medium heat until the chicken is cooked.
4 Once the meat is browned, drain and add the chicken and onion to the stock pot.
5 Cover and simmer for one hour.
6 Sprinkle shredded cheese over each bowl and serve with torilla chips.

If you want more of a stew, skip the Chicken Broth.  I also use a bag of frozen corn instead of cans to cut down on the salt, and I add some chili powder to give it a little more kick. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 03:06:05 PM »
Jiffy Scalloped Corn

This is a favorite in Iowa for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners

2  eggs
1 (14 ounce) can creamed corn
1 (14 ounce) can whole kernel corn (undrained)
1 cup sour cream
1 (8 ounce) package Jiffy cornbread mix
1⁄2 cup melted butter
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Beat eggs slightly.
Add sour cream, butter and corn.
Fold in dry Jiffy corn mix.
Fold in 1/2 the cheese
Put in baking disk (I used a 9 x 7).
Sprinkle remainder cheese on top.
Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes cover with foil for all but last 15 minutes, pull foil to brown the top.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 03:24:45 PM »
ONION BREAD (breach machine recipe)

Makes a 2 lb loaf.

1-2/3 c +1 T water
1/4 c dried onions
1 pkg onion soup mix (I used Liptons)
4 c sifted bread flour
2 T toasted sesame oil (butter can be substituted but it will not be as flavorful)
2 T sugar
2 t active dry yeast

Add onions and soup mix to water.  Microwave on high for 3 minutes and let stand for 5.  Pour into bread machine pan.  Add remaining ingredients in order.  Use the White Bread / Light Loaf setting (the default on most models).

Brad
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 06:33:51 PM »
Wildgame Rumaki, Charby's recipe

•1/2 lb wild game muscle meat, trimmed and cut into 1" wide by 2" long by 1/4" strips
•1/2 cup soy sauce
•1 tablespoon ground ginger
•4 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
•1 teaspoon cumin
•24 canned water chestnuts
•8 bacon slices (1/2 pound), cut crosswise into thirds

mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and cumin together, place water chesnuts and meat into the mix, thoroughly coat everything and let marinate for 24 hrs.

Soak 24 round toothpicks for at least 1 hour in water before assembly.

When marinated, preheat broiler (500 degrees F) wrap meat strip around water chesnut, then wrap with bacon, skewer with soaked toothpick.

Broil rumaki on rack of a broiler pan 2 inches from heat, turning once, until bacon is crisp and meat are cooked but still slightly pink inside (unwrap 1 to check for doneness), 5 to 6 minutes. Serve immediately.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 11:10:03 PM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »
CHICKEN TAMALE CASSEROLE

Very good stuff. Word to the wise, look for a recipe for making your own enchilada sauce. It's ridiculously easy and FAR cheaper than the canned stuff, not to mention a ton tastier.

1 (14 3/4-oz) can creamed corn
1 (8.5-oz) box corn muffin mix
1 (4.5-oz) can Old El Pasoâ„¢ chopped green chiles
1/4 cup sour cream
1 egg
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 (10-oz) can Old El Pasoâ„¢ red enchilada sauce

Toppings: sour cream, diced avocado, diced tomatoes, cilantro

Preheat oven to 400° F and spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the creamed corn, muffin mix, chiles, sour cream, egg, cumin, and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown and the middle is set.

Use the back of a wooden spoon (or any other utensil) to make dents in the top of the surface.

In a medium bowl, combine the chicken and the enchilada sauce and pour over the top of the baked corn mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese.

Bake for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Slice into squares and top with sour cream, diced avocado, diced tomatoes, and cilantro if desired.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 02:11:42 PM »
This goes together really fast with stuff you probably already have in your pantry, and it doesn't require a mixer.  So it's a good recipe to have for short notice.

Swedish Pineapple Cake (a.k.a. Mexican Wedding Cake)

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
2 eggs
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, with juice

Grease a 13x9x2” baking dish.  In large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.  Add nuts, eggs, and pineapple, and mix well by hand. Pour into prepared pan.  Bake 35 minutes at 350°, or until toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean. Cool, then frost with cream cheese frosting.  For Mexican Wedding Cake, add 1 cup chopped pecans to cake batter, and 1/2 cup each chopped pecans and flaked coconut to frosting.  

I have no idea what's Swedish or Mexican about it; I didn't name it. ;)  It's also good at brunch, served warm without the frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting:  8 ounces cream cheese,  2 tsp vanilla,  1/4 cup butter or margarine (1/2 stick),  1 pound powdered sugar  (note: this makes too much frosting)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 08:50:03 AM »
ENCHILADA SAUCE

Make your own, especially for the Tamale Casserole. It's ridiculously easy, far tastier, and is about 1/10th the cost of a can of store bought.

This recipe uses a bit of cinnamon, which is a nice touch. This recipe comes from https://cookieandkate.com/2016/enchilada-sauce-recipe/

3 tablespoons olive oil

3 tablespoons flour (whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and gluten-free flour blends all work!)

1 tablespoon ground chili powder (scale back if you’re sensitive to spice or using particularly spicy chili powder)

1 teaspoon ground cumin

½ teaspoon garlic powder

¼ teaspoon dried oregano

¼ teaspoon salt, to taste

Pinch of cinnamon (optional but recommended)

2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 cups vegetable broth

1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar

Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

This sauce comes together quickly once you get started, so measure the dry ingredients (the flour, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, salt and optional cinnamon) into a small bowl and place it near the stove. Place the tomato paste and broth near the stove as well.

In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, warm the oil until it’s it’s hot enough that a light sprinkle of the flour/spice mixture sizzles on contact. This might take a couple of minutes, so be patient and don’t step away from the stove!

Once it’s ready, pour in the flour and spice mixture. While whisking constantly, cook until fragrant and slightly deepened in color, about 1 minute. Whisk the tomato paste into the mixture, then slowly pour in the broth while whisking constantly to remove any lumps.

Raise heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, whisking often, for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the sauce has thickened a bit and a spoon encounters some resistance as you stir it. (The sauce will thicken some more as it cools.)

Remove from heat, then whisk in the vinegar and season to taste with a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper. Add more salt, if necessary
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:55:31 AM by Mike Irwin »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 07:10:07 PM »
Easy Taco Cheese Dip

1 lb of cooked ground meat (I use turkey) cooked with a diced onion.
28 ounce can of Rotel
2 lb block of Velveeta
2 packages of taco seasoning.

Chunk up the cheese an toss all the ingredients into a crock pot. Keep on high until the cheese is melted, stir occasionally to prevent burning. Set temp to warm when cheese is melted. Serve with round tortilla chips.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 04:06:39 PM »
EASY CRAB DIP

1 stick unsalted butter
1 block cream cheese
1 lb (can or bag) crab or imitation crab meat, minced coarse
Old Bay or Emeril's Essence to taste

Combine in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Do not bring to a boil or the butter will separate. Serve warm with crackers or chips.

Salted butter can be used if you don't use Old Bay or Emeril's. Sub in a dash of red pepper, a shot of mustard, and a few dashes of garlic powder. It's pretty flexible and most any seasoning that would go with fish or something in a cream sauce will work.

Brad
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 07:40:58 AM »
Crockpot Potatoes Au Gratin

(Hands down the best au gratin recipe I've come across)

From this site: https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/crockpot-potatoes-au-gratin/

INGREDIENTS:

4 cups (~5 potatoes) very large Yukon Gold or Russet Potatoes peeled and sliced

Lots of seasoned salt and fresh cracked pepper

4 tablespoons butter

4 tablespoons white flour

1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1 and 1/2 cups milk I used 1%

1/2 cup sour cream I used low-fat

1 and 1/2 cups sharp freshly grated cheddar cheese*

Fresh parsley or chives

STEPS:

VERY generously spray your slow cooker with nonstick spray. I used a 6-quart slow cooker for the recipe. Note that smaller crockpots may not be able to cook through all the potatoes evenly so you will have to halve (or cut in thirds) this recipe.

Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut into medium thick slices (see picture for general width). Measure the potatoes -- you should have about 5 cups total.
Place a layer of potatoes at the bottom of the crockpot. Generously (or to your preference, but don't skimp on the salt or it will be more bland) sprinkle on seasoned salt and pepper. Layer another layer of potatoes and sprinkle on salt and pepper. Repeat this process until all the potatoes are layered in the crockpot.

In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, add in the butter. Melt completely and then vigorously whisk in the flour until a thick dough forms. Whisk constantly for 1 minute. Add in the garlic and onion powder and continue to whisk.

Very slowly add in the milk whisking as you add it. In between milk additions whisk the mixture and allow it to thicken.

Once all the milk is added in and the mixture is completely smooth and thick, add in the sour cream. Whisk to add. Add in the freshly grated cheddar cheese and whisk until completely melted and the mixture is smooth.

Add some more salt and pepper here if desired.

Pour this cheese sauce evenly over the potatoes. Shake the slow cooker to get the creamy cheese sauce evenly throughout the crockpot. Do not stir it in.

Place 3 paper towels on top of the crockpot (this will absorb lots of moisture and keep the potatoes crispier) and then place on the lid.

Place on high (my experimentation with low heats were unsuccessful.) for 3-5 hours depending on the heat of your slow cooker. Slow cookers cook at different temperatures and speeds! Mine took just under 3 hours -- check frequently to avoid burning the edges or over cooking the potatoes so they are mushy.

Halfway through the cooking time, change out the paper towels for fresh ones.

Once the potatoes are tender and cooked through, remove the lid and garnish with fresh parsley or chives and additional seasoned salt and pepper. Allow to cook without the lid for 15-20 minutes to get a bit crisper on top if desired.

This recipe is for classic au gratin potatoes -- feel free to add more toppings or seasonings as you enjoy your au gratin potatoes. Some ideas are to chop up an onion and add that in (I would sauté it in olive oil first), add some red pepper flakes for heat, some cooked and chopped bacon, paprika, more or different flavors of cheeses...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 10:06:20 AM »
SOURDOUGH BISCUITS:

½ cup sourdough starter
1 cup milk
2 ½ cups unsifted flour
1 Tbs. sugar
¾ tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. soda
Bacon fat or melted butter

Mix starter, milk and 1 cup of the flour in a large bowl (the night before if biscuits are for breakfast; if for dinner, then in the morning).  Cover the bowl and keep at room temperature to rise.

Turn this very soft dough out onto 1 cup of flour on a bread board. Combine sugar, salt, baking powder and soda with remaining ½ cup flour and sift over the top.  With your hands, mix dry ingredients into the soft dough, kneading lightly to get the correct consistency. Roll out to a 1/2 –inch thickness. Cut out biscuits with a cutter, and dip each in either warm bacon fat or melted butter.

Place close together in a 9-inch square pan and set in a warm place to let rise for about ½ hour. Bake in a moderately hot oven (375 degrees) for 30 to 35 minutes. Makes about 14 biscuits (2 ½ inch).

Alternate method (and the one I prefer): pinch off balls of dough about the size of an unshelled walnut. Dip in melted butter and place close together in a 10” to 12” cast iron frying pan. Allow to rise and bake as directed.

---------------------------------

I used the "alternate method with the cast iron. I also made my "pinch off" balls about twice the recipe's recommended size, then squished them down a little. I used butter, but bacon fat sounds good, and if I'd had some laying around, I would have likely used it instead.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 12:53:58 PM »
Sausage stuffed zucchini boats.

Given I'm neck deep in zucchinis from the garden right now, I thought I would post my favorite way of using them up. I stay pretty close to this recipe except that I just use regular Jimmy Dean sausage and I use one kind of cheese. I forget the name but it's the big hunk of parmesan-like fancy cheese that Costco sells for cheap.

Also, because I like the "boats" softer, I actually stick them in the oven during the pre-heat cycle to give them an additional 10 or so minutes cooking time unstuffed, then pull them out, stuff them, and bake as directed.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nancy-fuller/sausage-stuffed-zucchini-boats-2765700

Total: 1 hr
Active: 40 min

Yield: 8 zucchini boats

Level: Intermediate

4 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    8 ounces sweet loose Italian sausage
    8 ounces hot loose Italian sausage
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup Parmesan, finely grated
    1/2 cup mozzarella, shaved
    1/4 cup breadcrumbs
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

With a teaspoon, scoop out the flesh from the interior of the zucchini, so they resemble boats. Place the zucchini boats in a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish. Chop the zucchini flesh and set aside.

In a medium saute pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and let heat through. Add the sweet and the hot Italian sausage, and cook for 4 minutes. Add the garlic, onion, chopped zucchini flesh, tomatoes and some salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 4 minutes.

In a medium bowl, add the Parmesan, mozzarella, breadcrumbs and parsley; mix to combine.

Spoon in and mound the sausage mixture into the zucchini boats. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over top. Place in oven and bake until golden on top, 20 minutes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 11:39:23 AM »
OK, this one is all me. I came up with it over the weekend based on a number of different recipes that I reviewed. I was looking for a relatively healthy salad to take to friends' for dinner.

Given everyone's reaction, I think this one was a winner. I know I really enjoyed it.

Farro Fruit Salad with Yogurt Dressing

2 to 3 C cooked farro
1 pint blueberries
2 C seedless grapes, halved
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
1/2 C dried cranberries

(fruit can really be whatever you want. I was going to use strawberries, but they looked really sketchy. I also wanted to put a pear in, but none of mine had softened).

Combine all in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, mix:

6 ounces non-fat Greek yogurt (I used vanilla)
2 tablespoons lemon juice (keeps the apple from turning brown)
2 tablespoons honey

Whisk to combine, pour over the fruit and farro, mix well, and chill.

If the dressing is too stiff, you can thin it with some apple juice.

It's better if it sits and chills for a couple of hours, as the farro picks up the yogurt and fruit flavors, and the colder it is the more refreshing it is, as well.

The next day I took some of the left overs, chopped up 4 ounces of poached chicken breast, and mixed it together. It was a complete and total winner.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 03:58:56 PM »
Ham and apple quesadilla. I actually saw this recipe in the Costco magazine and it also included pear, which I didn't have at home. I had everything else, so I made it today. Yum. The apple really adds to the flavor over a normal quesadilla.

Spread some grated cheese over a tortilla (I used Mexican blend).
Lay thinly sliced apple over that.
Add ham.  I got thin sliced Black Forest ham and diced it so it would be easier to distribute.
Another layer of grated cheese, then top with second tortilla.
Put in pan on med-low heat for ~3min a side (or however long to get the cheese melted).
I added a little guac to the top after it came out of the pan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 09:17:20 PM »
I started a separate thread for this chili recipe. I've made it twice, and a couple of my coworkers have also made it, and we all agree that it's absolutely incredible.

It's well worthy of a place in our vouched recipes thread.

This recipe is adapted from a recipe I saw on You Tube. I changed it a bit to adapt it to my chili style. This Is for the crock pot but can be made on the stove top.

It's long, but the results were nothing short of absolutely incredible. The flavor is head and shoulders above anything I've either made or had before.

Prior to starting, fill the bowl of your crock pot with hot water and set it to high to preheat.

Step 1

2 pounds ground turkey
2 packs regular chili seasoning mix (McCormick’s or WalMart) This is in addition to the extra spice added later
2 cans petite diced tomatoes with oregano and garlic
1 can tomato sauce
1 large onion, medium dice
2 to 3 tablespoons minced garlic
2 medium jalapeno peppers, diced

Brown the turkey in oil in a hot pan.
When turkey is mostly browned, move it to the side of the pan, turn the heat down, and add the onion along with a large pinch of salt.
Sweat the onion until it turns translucent.
Add the garlic and cook a few more minutes, being careful not to burn it.
Add the jalapeno peppers
When the peppers have softened, add the chili spice packets and the tomatoes and tomato sauce.
Stir to combine well.
Turn the heat up and bring to a boil.
Turn the heat down and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.

Step 2.

Drain and rinse 3 cans of beans. I prefer a combination of black and white navy.
Empty the crock pot and add the chili base, leaving the heat on high.
Add the beans.
Cover and cook on high for about 2 hours.

Step 3.

3 T Chili powder
3 T Onion power
1 T Garlic powder
1 T dried oregano
1 T dried basil
Rosemary (optional)
1 t cayenne pepper
1 t Cumin
2 packets Sazon Goya
Juice and zest of 1 lime
Juice and zest of 1 lemon

Add all juice, zest, and spices, mix well, turn heat back to low, and cook for an additional 4 to 6 hours, stirring occasionally.

Note: If at this point your chili is too watery, leave the heat on high and take the lid off for about an hour.

Step 4.

About an hour before serving, chop a large handful of cilantro, including stems. Mix into the chili.

Serve with additional cilantro, onions, sharp cheddar cheese, or sour cream.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2019, 11:30:57 AM »
Spit Pea & Ham Soup

I've loved split pea & ham soup since I was a little kid. Loved it when my Mom would make it during the winter. It pairs great with grilled cheese sandwiches, too.

I've made some changes to my recipe over the years. I've dropped the carrots & celery (not a big fan) and have started adding a bag of frozen green peas near the end of cooking. Got that idea from a can of Trader Joe's soup years ago. Works nicely.

I made a batch over the weekend. Came out fantastic, except it's a tad bit sweeter than I like because I grabbed a chunk of sugar cured ham instead of salt cured and smoked. A dollop of sour cream helped mitigate that, though.

Ingredients

Pork neck bones or ham hocks
2 medium or 1 large onion (more is better)
Minced garlic (again, more is better)
2 quarts of low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 pound of salt cured smoked ham (you can use sugar cured, but it will be sweeter)
1 pound split green peas
2 bay leaves
Oregano
Basil
1 pound bag of frozen green peas

Instructions

Cover 1 to 2 pounds of smoked cured pork neck bones with water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for about 2 hours. You can use ham hocks but you’ll need to simmer for at least 3 to 4 hours to get the same level of flavor. Remove the neck bones and discard.

Dice the onion and sweat in a pan over low heat with vegetable oil and a heavy pinch of kosher salt. Sweat until onion becomes soft and translucent, about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add the garlic and continue to sweat for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add the onions, garlic, split peas, and a quart of broth to the neck bone broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a medium simmer.

Add the bay leaves.

Cook for 1 to 2 hours (or until green peas are soft), adding more broth as necessary. The split peas will soak up quite a bit of broth.

When the peas have reached the desired softness, remove the bay leaves and use a vegetable masher or stick blender to thicken the soup.

Add oregano, basil, additional powdered garlic and salt (if necessary).

Add the diced ham and frozen peas. Cook for another 10 to 15 minutes.

Serve with a crusty bread, sour cream, or an olive oil and lemon juice emulsion as a drizzle

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 12:58:45 AM »
Ritz Crackers, peanut butter, Tabasco Spicy Honey Sauce
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 01:42:36 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2019, 09:01:40 AM »
Quiche:

Mix 3 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1 tsp ground mustard, salt and pepper to taste.

Take any combination of cooked potatoes, ham, bacon, peppers, onions, spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, etc... and some cheese and put into a pie crust. (Last night it was ham, potatoes, peppers, onions, and swiss cheese, for example.)

Pour the egg mixture over the top.

Bake at 425 for 55-60 minutes.

Enjoy.

The ground mustard is the important part, it really makes the taste.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2022, 01:49:50 PM »
Crockpot Potatoes Au Gratin

(Hands down the best au gratin recipe I've come across)
Agreed. Making it again today.
7-11 was a part time job.