Author Topic: USPS and Amazon  (Read 689 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
USPS and Amazon
« on: January 03, 2018, 09:47:20 AM »
Geez. I kinda agree with something at The Hill.

I had been hearing a bit about this on the news. I saw I that I had been getting more Amazon packages from USPS, and just before Christmas, almost all my Amazon packages came via the mailman. However, it appears the deal Amazon and USPS made means that USPS is apparently losing around a buck fifty per delivered package (average).

http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/367031-usps-cronyism-is-unaffordable-for-shippers-and-customers?amp
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: USPS and Amazon
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 09:52:52 AM »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 10:23:31 AM »
I guess Prime will be going up again.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 10:25:31 AM »
I guess Prime will be going up again.

Part of it may depend on what Amazon is doing as far as becoming its own delivery service. Hard to say from what I've read, if that will lower or raise costs. They've mostly been talking about efficiency and speed rather than cost on that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 11:57:56 AM »
Part of it may depend on what Amazon is doing as far as becoming its own delivery service. Hard to say from what I've read, if that will lower or raise costs. They've mostly been talking about efficiency and speed rather than cost on that.

Hell they are working on that here in Cincinnati.  I would say 75% of my packages have an Amazon waybill number and are dropped off by a person in their own vehicle.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 12:02:26 PM »
I've definitely noticed that the packages that were once delivered by UPS or FedEx are now almost exclusively USPS.

With an accompanying decrease in quality. (Yes, I can tell a difference in the quality of delivery.)

I hope the USPS starts raising their prices. Maybe I'll get the good service from FedEx and UPS on my Prime packages.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 12:27:29 PM »
Probably about half of my Amazon packages are coming via the USPS, and the other half via UPS or the new Amazon Flex, which is people delivering packages in their own cars.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 01:50:17 PM »
Probably about half of my Amazon packages are coming via the USPS, and the other half via UPS or the new Amazon Flex, which is people delivering packages in their own cars.

I'm sure Jeff is ensuring that each of those Amazon Flex employees (wait -- they ARE employees, aren't they? cough, cough) is being paid a decent, living wage.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design