Author Topic: Airlines Removing Entertainment Systems  (Read 1169 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Airlines Removing Entertainment Systems
« on: January 04, 2018, 10:18:47 AM »
No link, just now heard it on the newz. Apparently many airlines are going to start removing seatback monitors and other entertainment hardware. It's actually a smart move to save mony and weight, given probably 90% of passengers bring their own entertainment with them nowadays.

I mostly found it interesting because the airlines, in some ways, got hosed by "leapfrog technology". By the time "individual" entertainment became ubiquitous in newer aircraft, personal electronics had already surpassed what the on-board systems could do.

Not that I fly much anymore, but my preference as a customer would be to wipe out all the entertainment systems on aircraft and just have them provide free or low cost Internet. Even slower internet. If I want movies, I can bring them with me on my device, and for stuff like browsing APS or checking email, I could live with 256K in the air.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Airlines Removing Entertainment Systems
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 10:25:45 AM »
I'm torn on it.  When I fly to the UK, I really like the selection of newish movies and not dealing with battery life issues.  Sure, I can bring and watch my own movies, but normally I've seen the ones I have on my devices.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 10:35:12 AM »
I'm torn on it.  When I fly to the UK, I really like the selection of newish movies and not dealing with battery life issues.  Sure, I can bring and watch my own movies, but normally I've seen the ones I have on my devices.

Chris

At least for battery life, it doesn't seem like it would be too much trouble to stick a USB port in place of the entertainment system - wiring would already be there. I wonder if there's a way to keep the onboard movies and push them to individual devices at no or a reasonable cost?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 10:39:22 AM »
At least for battery life, it doesn't seem like it would be too much trouble to stick a USB port in place of the entertainment system - wiring would already be there. I wonder if there's a way to keep the onboard movies and push them to individual devices at no or a reasonable cost?

A simple system of independent password-protected wifi channel or onboard-only entertainment app should do the trick.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 10:46:07 AM »

When I flew I think Southwest back in October I was able to login to a website with my phone and stream some movies or TV shows. This was without paying for actual internet and not using any built in media center.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 10:53:09 AM »
I'd happily trade the entertainment to get back to not having to pay for even the first checked suitcase.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 10:58:19 AM »
When I flew I think Southwest back in October I was able to login to a website with my phone and stream some movies or TV shows. This was without paying for actual internet and not using any built in media center.

I had the same experience on United going over the atlantic in the fall.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 11:03:57 AM »

Same when I flew United back in April.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 11:24:23 AM »
Not surprising and a good move.  Most airlines have inflight wifi available and it's cheap especially if you're on a multi-leg day (pay once works for the day). 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 11:51:23 AM »

That would probably trade one problem for another.  The hardware in the seats would be gone, but the hardware in the belly of the plane would remain and you'd add the networking component, as well as support issues.  Imagine some 50-something housewife unable to stream a movie to her 3rd Tier Android tablet...

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 12:44:58 PM »
That would probably trade one problem for another.  The hardware in the seats would be gone, but the hardware in the belly of the plane would remain and you'd add the networking component, as well as support issues.  Imagine some 50-something housewife unable to stream a movie to her 3rd Tier Android tablet...

Chris

I was thinking as a charge port only,  perhaps in the seat arm. I don't know if that makes a difference

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 12:46:50 PM »
I was thinking as a charge port only,  perhaps in the seat arm. I don't know if that makes a difference

Don't most planes currently have plugs under or between the seats for powering portable dec=vices?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 02:11:41 PM »
The hardware in the seats would be gone, but the hardware in the belly of the plane would remain

One file server with 4-8TB of disk space is easily less weight and bulk than anyone's carry on.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 02:26:17 PM »
One file server with 4-8TB of disk space is easily less weight and bulk than anyone's carry on.

I don't know how they set this kind of stuff up on commercial aircraft, but if you were going to provide everyone on board with both wireless and streaming movies, etc., doesn't that require a good bit of hardware besides server storage?

If everyone needs at least 5mbps* to stream, I reckon you need network switches and then I actually don't know how you create discrete wireless bandwidth for the passenger capacity of the larger aircraft. A bunch of independent wireless nodes, or what?

*Estimating, as that's around what I need for consistent HD with Netflix. If I'm running anything else that's bandwidth heavy at the same time, I can watch my Roku pixelating me down to SD or less.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 03:05:26 PM »
Of course the next move will be for the FAA to disallow use of personal electronics while in flight.
Because terrorists and all.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 06:59:14 PM »
If everyone needs at least 5mbps* to stream, I reckon you need network switches and then I actually don't know how you create discrete wireless bandwidth for the passenger capacity of the larger aircraft.

First off, they're not likely to assume that everybody's bringing a 36" or larger HDTV on the flight.  More likely, streaming bandwidth would be geared for a 7-10" tablet.  Then in terms of file server capability, the easy out is to stream it "live" in the sense that the server is only having to put out a single stream of each movie; it means everybody's got to watch it more like a regular in-flight movie, all at the same time, but the file server itself isn't putting out a separate stream for each of x passengers, all at different points in each movie. 

I'm not sure what the overall theoretical capability of a wireless AP is, but I'd guess it's possible to make one with quite a bit, or ISPs wouldn't be able to provide the service using relatively standard equipment.  In the case of the plane, power is a non issue, since your entire market is sitting within a couple thousand square foot rectangle and inside a handy waveguide.  As for interference due to so many clients in close proximity, I don't know how much of an issue that would be, but of course, using multiple APs on channels separated as widely as possible is also an option.  I do know I've seen pretty dense offices running dozens of PCs on a single AP without any problems, and usually (depending on IT's whim-of-the-week) when there are separate networks by department, it's due to distance issues (and/or departments being territorial) rather than overloading an AP.

IMO, it should still be doable with less weight and bulk than an extra drink cart, I'm just not sure how much less.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 10:15:11 PM »

I took a USB battery in my carry-on to keep my phone charged up.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 12:44:24 AM »
ive been on airlines with wifi accessible entertainment and no screens in seats. It was great. Had a charging plug for my ipad, logged into the wifi. paid 5 bucks , and streamed movies via my ipad.

was great. Good idea.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog