Author Topic: Camp/Backpacking Blades...  (Read 2823 times)

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Camp/Backpacking Blades...
« on: January 14, 2007, 11:09:59 AM »
Howdy folks!

I've recently been on the hunt for a 'do-all' backpacking knife. I've had something of limited budget so most of the knives that would realistically fill this role are a good bit out of the price range. After chatting/searching a bit over at bladeforums, I learned about the existence of the moras.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

I've found more than a few that I like and plan to order soon. They are, of course, pretty light and wouldn't fare as well on the sort of light chopping/heavy tasks that I need to get done. I decided that instead of trying to make one knife to everything at a mediocre level, I'd just get a good fixed blade like the mora (hopefully) and then a hatchet to round out my needs.

I've looked at those too and have found the Wetterlings to be highly regarded, and inside the price range. I really like the looks of them, too.

http://www.knifecentre.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=SAW16H

I've used several hatchets before and never learned to love them. I'm thinking it's because they were hugely cheap and usually heavy. Basically I'm hoping the quality of this one will win me over. I'm a bit torn over the size, however.

Anyone have thoughts on a 12.5" versus a 15" hatchet? It's a small difference, but I don't have any of different lengths to play with.  Also, anyone have experience with the Wetterlings in general?

I'd also love to hear what other blades you folks like to take with you into the woods, both on quick camping trips or deeper trecks.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Re: Camp/Backpacking Blades...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 12:30:11 PM »
Nice links!

I wonder if Ragnar would be the right guy to ask to do the work on my hip bone knife/revo handle/cane/whatever I decide to do with it...

If not, I'd lay you good odds he'd know somebody who WILL.  laugh

Ron

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 12:53:44 PM »
I've used several hatchets before and never learned to love them.

If it is for firewood on a backpacking trip I would rather have a lightweight "Sven Saw". They come in 15 and 21".

Lighter and I would think faster than a hatchet. Not nearly as cool though, lol.

Link

TMM

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 01:10:07 PM »
instead of a hatchet, why not a small/medium machete? you can use it for camp chores like chopping small wood, bushwhacking, cutting up game, etc. cuts like a hatchet mostly, but more usefull, and might be a little lighter.

~tmm

take my advice with a grain of salt, as i've neven been backpacking...

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 01:29:42 PM »
I've got a couple of the lightweight folding saws, and they have their nitch. I haven't found them to be a good replacement for a chopping blade overall, though.

The machete type blade is OK so long as the wood is very light. Past that the blade can't handle the work, unless you beef up the steel. And then you're talking about weight in the hatchet range, which will do the job better anyway.

This combination is meant to be a more practical substitute to a larger blade that does a mediocre job at all these tasks.

One of the main reasons I like the hatchet is the ease with which I can gather wood and brush, or clean up wood for use in small shelter building. It will usually do the job quicker and with less effort than a similar knife would require.

My backpacking gear is otherwise very minimalist, so weight is not a huge factor right now.

So many choices!
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 02:37:18 PM »
I really cannot see why folks spend so much money on knives for doing this sort of thing.  Buy a Ka-Bar for ~$60 and be done with it.  If you break it, so what...buy another one.

I have a D2 steel 7" Ka-Bar that hasn't seen a lot of use and I'm sure it'll be here after I am gone.

Greg

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 04:31:37 AM »
I think you're on the right track, Spooky, although I would look a little harder for something the same size and shape as the Mora, but with a better sheath.  Unless you plan on finding a replacement sheath.  I would also avoid the simple, wooden handles.  The plastic handles are pretty tough, and have a finger guard.  The Scandinavians seem to think the guard is for kiddies, but I'll keep one on my knife, thank you. 

If you go with something other than Mora, look out for the 3/16" blades that are too thick.  Then again, some Moras strike me as a bit thin.  I find 1/8" to be a good compromise. 

There's no way a K-Bar can replace a hatchet.  And it doesn't do a good impersonation of a Mora, either.  Not just because I hate K-Bars, but because it's TRUE.   cool

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 07:22:45 AM »
I have the Ka-Bar, several actually. It will usually do, but it's pretty unwieldy at fine work and it's not built to do any form of chopping/hacking. It's good at several things, not so good at several more. I've been through many knives looking for one that will do the things I want. (Incidentally, I can buy three moras and a Wetterling hatchet for the price of one Ka-Bar.)

At any rate, I enjoy blades in much the same way I enjoy guns (though it's a much different level), so there's pleasure in the hunt and in the variety.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 07:36:47 AM »
Hey, well said.  I've edited my above comment to actually give you some advice. 

Oh, yeah.  I have the type with the black plastic handle.  Although it's thinner than 1/8" it's not fragile.  I have used it to baton some small logs (cut them across the grain by laying the knife on the wood and pounding on the spine with another stick). 

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 07:48:37 AM »
Glad to hear that the one with the black handle is pretty sturdy, it's one of three that I ordered yesterday! I'm pretty excited about playing with them on the next hike.

I know what you mean about the wood handled ones, they look a little smooth to be lacking a guard. The last thing I want when camping is a slice down the middle of my hand.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the sheaths, so I'm not expecting much when the arive. I found a guy at bladeforums, whose website I cant find, that  makes lots of custom kydex blade sheaths for around $30. They look great and are well regarded. If any of the moras suit me I'll be ordering one or two. I'll try and find that address, if you're interested...

Edit: This isn't the same sheath maker I was speaking of above, but I this design is pretty neat:
http://www.sheathmechanic.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=158
Those flint tools are handy to have around.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 09:35:54 AM »
Ya know, you could probably find a better knife with a better sheath without spending much more.  Then again, if you're convinced you're going to break or lose the knife, and you have one sheath to fit all three, that could be alright.

I don't think I would spend even that much just to sheath my Frost's, but then I've become a complete stickler for the flat-ground blade, so I'll likely not carry that knife anymore. 

What I've found to be much more practical than a belt knife is a four-inch knife, with a flattish handle, that fits in the front pocket.  The very top of the handle sticks out of my pocket, and I use a bit of nylon cord and a small snap-link to connect the pouch-sheath belt loop to the belt loop of my jeans.  I wear it everywhere, and it doesn't hang up on things or get in the way of back-packs, pistol belts, vests, or other web gear.

Something like this, although mine is slightly longer and much pertier.  This one's mighty pricey, though.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 09:43:42 AM »
My camp axe is a plastic handled fiskars, I picked up at Target for around $16. This is the same one that Gerber sells as their own.

My fixed blade knife is a SOG ranger. I think they run about $90. 

I am happy with both.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Preacherman

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 09:49:41 AM »
John Shirley recommended this knife in a thread on THR as a good general-purpose blade.  From my limited experience, it looks very suitable.

http://newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=5279

Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

theCZ

• friend
    • http://www.hunewill.com
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 03:15:01 PM »
Where are you going to be backpacking?  I only carry a pocketknife and a canopener, I do all my food chopping beforehand and oftentimes my camps are above treeline so gathering wood isn't much of an issue.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 05:10:34 AM »
John Shirley knows his stuff, but that is one thick blade, with a very chunky handle.  It might fit your hands.  It might not be so convenient to carry.  Better than a K-Bar.  Smiley

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 08:48:27 AM »
Ka-Bar? Bah. Buy quality! Busse! Tongue  grin  (or so the guys in the Busse form at BF would tell ya... Wink)
Andy

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 09:12:05 AM »
Leatherman multi-tool and a back-packing hatchet. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 09:22:48 AM »
If you want a Leatherman tool now would be a good time to check Target, if you have any in your area. They're doing their clearance thing again. I saw a Core at a Target the other day for $26, and last year I picked up a Supertool 200 for $12.50. 
Andy

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 04:33:32 PM »
Thanks for the extra thoughts!

I like that model, Preacherman, and looked a lot at it. It was on the 'potentials' list up until I chose to try the moras. I like the size and style.

Thanks, too, for the tip to check out Target's sale on leathermans! I need one instead of the very cheap, generic one I have. Anyone have tips on a specific model? I don't know much specifics on those.

Oh, two more things! I've run out of my own websites for military surplus/cheap camping equipment. Does anyone know a few good ones?!   

I'm also specifically looking for a british military SA80 bayonet sheath, if anyone has a good lead.

Gracias amigos!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 04:41:47 PM »
Thanks, too, for the tip to check out Target's sale on leathermans! I need one instead of the very cheap, generic one I have. Anyone have tips on a specific model? I don't know much specifics on those.

Just a notice, it's not all their Leatherman tools. You might have to shuffle through the racks to find the couple that have clearance tags on them. In my experience, most of them will still be full price but there will be a couple, seemingly picked at random, which have a clearance tag on the package of about half off the regular price. (And if you wait, and those randomly picked Leatherman's don't move, I have seen Target lower the price all the way to about a quarter of the regular price.)
Andy

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 05:26:17 PM »
I'm partial to this here style. I have a lockblade one with rubber grips made by Klein in my pocket right now. Cost like $21. So far it's been indestructible. I like the hook blade because it's good for reaming the burr out of copper pipe after you cut it with a pipe cutter. Good for opening boxes too.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611581192

Here is a Klein example that is similar to but not the same as mine. My handle is soft black rubber with not hook at the end. Ther one shown here is probaly a decent knife though.

http://www.tools-plus.com/kle1550-24.html
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007, 06:17:07 PM »
That first one is what my Dad carries.  Looks like there's two of you odd-balls now.   smiley

280plus

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 01:34:19 AM »
Nah, your dad just knows a good knife when he sees it.  cheesy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 03:00:20 AM »
I found some more of you wierdos.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=246830

My Dad used to carry junky old things he bought from "the Snap-On man."  He liked the blades, but I didn't like that the springs gave out so quickly.  As a knife snob, I couldn't let him go on carrying that no-name junk.  So far, I've given him a Case (the handle is too flat), a Boker (just right) and a "Sheffield" I found at Home Depot.  It's pretty, and the blade locks.  I confiscated his junk knife for my personal collection.  Sentimental value.   smiley

280plus

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 04:06:06 AM »
Again I defer to my habit of losing tools. As much as I'd appreciate an nice expensive knife the happier I am when I lose a cheap one. That's why I haven't bought a surfire yet.  grin