Author Topic: RIP Winchester  (Read 8511 times)

griz

• friend
RIP Winchester
« on: March 06, 2018, 07:41:09 AM »
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/david-ogden-stiers-charles-emerson-winchester-mash-dead-at-75/

Didn't see this posted but David Ogden Stiers passed a couple days ago.  I put Winchester in the title because I recently saw a MASH rerun where Hawkeye pretends to forget Charles Emerson Winchester's name and says "is it Remington?"  Not sure if such a joke would even be noticed today.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: RIP Winchester
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 08:39:31 AM »
Yeah, I posted that to my faceplace page yesterday.

I liked the interplay between the cast with the Frank Burns character, but there was no growth or subtlety to it. It was all hard punch slapstick. When they did try to expand Frank's character in conjunction with the expansion of the show's focus to be more introspective and dramatic than strict comedy, it just didn't work.

That's where the Charles Emerson Winchester character, and Stiers, were perfect for the show. The character is far more empathetic than the Frank Burns character, and instead of always being the underdog and whipping boy for Hawkeye and BJ, was a very worthy adversary.

The episodes that focused on Winchester's humanity were exceptionally well acted. I'm thinking of two specifically: the episode where Charles suffers a near death experience and tries to find out what, if anything, is beyond life, and the Christmas one where he buys candy for the orphans and later finds out that the director of the orphanage sold the candy on the black market to buy basic necessities that would serve the orphans for months.

They never could have done those kinds of episodes with Frank Burns.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 09:35:53 AM »
It was a tribute to Stier's acting chops that someone about as eruditely mid-Atlantic in real life as my mother's cat could pull off the C. E. Winchester, III, character so deftly.

Most people don't realize he was also an accomplished voice actor. His most notable role was that of Cogsworth in Disney's Beauty and the Beast. Double points if you remember him as Lane and Badger's father.

RIP.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 10:17:09 AM »
He was the father in Better Off Dead.  First think that came to mind after MASH. 

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001773/
Long, long list of movie and TV roles. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 11:02:24 AM »
I liked that Christmas episode as well.  No way the Frank Burns character was deep enough to pull that off.  Hadn't seen him in too many other roles, although an appearance in Star Trek TNG comes to mind.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »
The Christmas episode is one of the best.

Burns and Trapper John being replaced by Winchester and BJ was (IMO)  the point where that show really developed it's chemistry.

RIP, Mr. Stiers.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 09:43:12 PM »
The Christmas episode is one of the best.

Burns and Trapper John being replaced by Winchester and BJ was (IMO)  the point where that show really developed it's chemistry.

RIP, Mr. Stiers.

Let us not forget that the original commanding officer, Lt. Colonel Henry Blake (played by McLean Stevenson), was replaced by Colonel Potter (played by Harry Morgan) after three seasons. Another improvement, IMHO.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 09:46:38 PM »
Let us not forget that the original commanding officer, Lt. Colonel Henry Blake (played by McLean Stevenson), was replaced by Colonel Potter (played by Harry Morgan) after three seasons. Another improvement, IMHO.

The end of Henry Blake was a tear jerker.  Didn't mean to short his character at all.  Morgan did add to the general chemistry improvement though.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.