Author Topic: Totally Super Blue Blood Lunar Eclipse  (Read 1735 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Totally Super Blue Blood Lunar Eclipse
« on: January 29, 2018, 10:20:31 AM »
Coming on Wednesday, a blue moon, super moon, blood moon, and total lunar eclipse. Looks like those of you on the East coast will be out of luck for the full show. Given no valley fog around here, I should be able to pop the screen out of my kitchen window and take photos from there while I drink my morning coffee.  :laugh:

https://www.space.com/39517-super-blue-blood-moon-2018-phases-explained.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Totally Super Blue Blood Lunar Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 12:32:44 PM »
If there's ever going to be a zombie apocalypse, it's going to happen Wednesday.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 07:03:02 PM »
I get to see the entire event where I am. =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 07:54:07 PM »
It's Trump's fault.  Impeach !  Impeach !  It's Hillary's turn !
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 05:17:04 AM »
Y'all ready for this!? Not much longer until it officially starts!
 [popcorn]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 05:33:13 AM »
I should have a chance to get some pics after work this morning if it stays clear here.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 06:39:07 AM »
Beautiful full moon here this morning.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 07:05:35 AM »
Overcast here... booo.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 07:09:28 AM »
I had a pretty nice moon on my drive into work.  It was *just* starting to look eclipsy when the sun came up. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 07:15:57 AM »
Dawn's breaking here and I can't see the moon anymore, so looks like the zombie apocalypse will have to kick off without me.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 07:38:58 AM »
3/4 of the way there right now. The dang fog is forming though. I should have a good view until it goes to totality, but it looks like it will be obscured after that.

While I recognize that "super moons" aren't all that "super" (I think it's like 10-15% brighter depending), last night's moon appeared to be one of the brightest that I can recall. It could be that other atmospheric conditions contributed to that, but it was pretty cool, especially being out in the country. The Sierras were well illuminated.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 08:28:23 AM »
We had some thin, hazy clouds but still worth the watch.
Made it damn lousy for photography though. Low on the horizon so some haze and windy enough it was causing me some problems.

IMG_9523-1 by lmmiers, on Flickr

IMG_9500-1 by lmmiers, on Flickr
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 08:32:59 AM »
It was cloudy but about an hour before it technically started it cleared completely up. Have a really awesome view right now. Watched the light slowly fade across and it's a reddish color now. Wife and I got back inside as it's cold. lol
The closest I could get to a good picture with my camera. Both are max zoomed in. Bottom one I had braced against a concrete curb with a delayed exposure, not sure how long, but I think clicking the take picture button moved the camera a little.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 08:34:31 AM »
Welp, RKL's pictures put mine to shame. lol It's neat to see the difference in the spot that the sun is illuminating the moon.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 08:49:22 AM »
It was getting low on the horizon here and shooting through a lot of haze. Not up to my usual standards.

I took this on in November 2015.
moon-4221 by lmmiers, on Flickr

Samuel Adams