Author Topic: Fenix PD35 standard edition now $69.95  (Read 824 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Fenix PD35 standard edition now $69.95
« on: January 30, 2018, 10:34:14 AM »
I've heard y'all talk about Fenix flashlights and wanted to give you a heads up. I hopped on their web page this morning and the PD35 standard version is $69.95. The PC35TAC is $71.95 ($68.84 on Amazon if you have Prime). Base package price on both.

No idea if it's been that way for any amount of time, or even if it's just a marketing ruse. I figure you guys and gals will know. Seems a decent deal if they are everything y'all have made them out to be.

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-pd35-led-flashlight-960-lumens/

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-pd35tac-led-flashlight-tactical-edition/

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Fenix PD35 standard edition now $69.95
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »
I thought that model sounded familiar: https://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?213-Fenix-PD35-Review

I'll pass. A famous architect once said "Less is more." I want a flashlight I can use quickly, not have to dig out the instruction manual when I need to clear the house.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 02:18:54 PM »
I'll pass. A famous architect once said "Less is more." I want a flashlight I can use quickly, not have to dig out the instruction manual when I need to clear the house.
Agreed.  I'm looking for a new flashlight right now and that is pretty close to what I'd want.  I just want one with fewer bells and whistles.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 02:35:01 PM »
I thought that model sounded familiar: https://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?213-Fenix-PD35-Review

I own a regular PD35, and it's less complex than the tacticool version, based on this review. I can lightly press the tail cap for momentary on, full press for normal on/off. The other button, near the bezel, simply cycles through the output modes, or switches straight to strobe mode with a long press.

Been carrying it a couple years now, and my single complaint is that I wish the tailcap ears were higher and wider to better prevent accidental activation when clipped in a pocket. It's proven itself rugged enough for me, surviving multiple 6+ foot falls onto concrete with only minor cosmetic damage. Love the option of both CR123A and rechargeables, too.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 06:38:08 PM »
I've got one of these and love it.   https://rtdelectronix.com/nitecore-p12gt/     Direct competition for the Fenix.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 09:10:57 PM »
My EDC is the Streamlight M2.  I like it because it's got a master on/off switch in addition to the momentary/on toggle.  Plus it attaches to my USP .45  =D
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 12:14:13 PM »

I carried an LD20 for 5 years as a security guard.  While it had 5 modes, "I need lots of light right now" was just a button push, regardless of the head position.  It's pretty rare to need medium or low RFN, so those were more buried; cap tight, first push is turbo, (205 lumens) subsequent pushes cycle between strobe and turbo.  Head backed off ~1/8 turn, first push is high (105 lumens, though the limiter didn't seem all that picky - with fresh batteries this was barely distinguishable from turbo.  Either high or turbo was painful in a low-light scenario, as proven more than once when I checked out a shadowy figure that turned out to be a mirror, very reflective window or large expanse of chrome.  Doing a little unsanctioned Airsoft-based training with another guard who was normally an excellent shot, moving and sweeping with strobe was as close to god mode as you're going to get IRL.) and subsequent pushes would go through medium, low and SOS.  Only slight annoyance was that doing quick momentary-push sweeps would keep cycling between turbo and strobe, but that likely wouldn't be such a bad thing if there really was a threat; with practice, you could work pretty well from behind the strobe mode, while from in front of it, you'd be seeing major purple spots all over your vision for a half hour and the light was near impossible to track accurately while moving.

Insanely durable.  Never had to use it as an impact or leverage weapon, but felt like it would make one heck of a good kubotan in a pinch.  Even though I was nearly always night shift on industrial sites where I had plenty of outdoor area and unlit-at-night interior, a cheap 16 pack of AAs would last me 2-3 months.  Definitely a serious piece of equipment.