Author Topic: Le Guin  (Read 851 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Le Guin
« on: January 23, 2018, 06:18:56 PM »
Dead yesterday, per Wikipedia

Ursula Kroeber Le Guin (US: /ˈɜːrsələ ˈkroʊbər lə ˈɡwɪn/;[2] October 21, 1929 – January 22, 2018) was an American novelist and author of novels, children's books, and short stories, mainly in the genres of fantasy and science fiction....
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Le Guin
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 06:46:54 PM »
Having trouble finding something nice to say.

I never cared for The Children of Earthsea and, IIRC, she was on the SJW side of the battle over the Hugo's.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 07:28:16 PM »
I haven't read a huge amount of her stuff, myself.  Earthsea, for at least a couple books.  Left Hand of Darkness and the Dispossessed.  Lathe of Heaven.  A story or five.  All probably before you were born.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 07:49:20 PM »
I never cared for any of her stories.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 08:16:26 PM »
I never cared for any of her stories.

Ditto.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 09:09:20 PM »
I met her once in Portland, at an event at Powell Books.  She was a pioneer for her time in writing science fiction.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 09:52:01 PM »
I remember her from sad puppies.  She was on the wrong side of it.  haven't read any of her stuff, and am unlikely to at this point.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 11:13:53 PM »
I was a science fiction fan from a very early age . . . but despite her numerous awards, Ms. Le Guin never quite broke into my top 99% of favorite writers.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 12:39:55 AM »
Saw that on the news tonight.  Never read too many of her stories, either.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 01:02:31 PM »
I wasn't a huge fan; but I will say that having to read A Wizard of Earthsea for summer reading going into highschool was what got me into the fantasy genre. The interest it piqued led to Tolken, Jordan, Feist etc. So I'm grateful to her for that.