Author Topic: Trump Bonuses/Trump Money  (Read 7051 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Trump Bonuses/Trump Money
« on: February 01, 2018, 06:37:55 PM »
I have had a good 10 maybe 12 people come into do their taxes that have received what is being called "Trump Bonuses"  (Their words, not mine)  from as little as $100 to one guy that got more than $32,000.00.  Yep, manager at a Metals Finishing plant.   Said work has been just crazy for the last year.  (He already made $16,000 more in 2017 than 2016, because of overtime and a raise).  His department went from 6-7 people to 20 in this last year and they still have more work then they can handle.  He got the $32,000 check they day he came in to do his taxes. (They gave out the W-2's and bonus checks the same day (well night, as he works night shift.)

Quite a few others are talking about how they got raises after the first of the year.  Something that has not happened to them in 3, 4, 5 or more years.  Even those that work at what could be called "Mom & Pop" stores.

Everyone, though is reporting that their job/work is "Busy or Busier". 

We also go over tax planning for 2018 given the changes. I cover how there take home will go up given the reduced rates.  So they got a raise and not will get even more money in their paychecks. Most people are surprised to see that their taxes will go down (and many cases significantly) with standard exemption change.   Many are still (just) under $10,000 in SALT, so there's no impact there.  The only people bitching are......

My boss, the owner.  He recently bought a larger house, he has 4 kids, so he's taking a big hit with his SALT capped at $10,000, and the loss of exemptions.  He MF's Donald Trump at just about every turn.  The fun ones are the foaming-at-the-mouth lefties, showing them how their pay goes and tax burden goes down and watching their heads explode.  I have pointed out to them, that they are free to write checks to the US Treasury if they still want to pay at the older pre-Trump rates. :angel: :angel:   Meanwhile, most of the rest of our customers say either "I'm so glad I voted for him."  or "I wish I would have voted him."  This being suburban Cook county, it is somewhat Republican leaning.   

And the best part of all of this, I do this as a completely neutral "Here's how Tax Reform will affect you and your situation.  We don't have the finalized rules but we do know this..."

=D =D =D =D =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Trump Bonuses/Trump Money
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 07:36:55 PM »
We got a raise. Ostensibly "comparing our pay to other Cat and equipment dealerships and raising pay for retention purposes" but I suspect it's directly related to tax cuts...considering we haven't had such a comparison/raise in the four years I've worked there.

We are also very busy. We are experiencing the general mechanic shortage that is affecting everybody (not that I'm complaining...the more valuable I am the better my pay)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 09:25:42 PM »
Since I'm retired, no raises.  My pension is locked, though it did go up when they deposited it today by $50.00 because the withholding tables changed.  My CPA who does my taxes included a page to show what my taxes/refund would be for 2018 if our income and withholding was the same.  I try and make sure I don't have a refund because I don't like loaning the goobermint money for free.  Anywho, my taxes would decrease by around $1500.00+ dollars.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 09:50:27 PM »
Anywho, my taxes would decrease by around $1500.00+ dollars.

Pfft. Crumbs. You can't even buy a Prius for that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:37:26 PM »
Since I'm retired, no raises.  My pension is locked, though it did go up when they deposited it today by $50.00 because the withholding tables changed.  My CPA who does my taxes included a page to show what my taxes/refund would be for 2018 if our income and withholding was the same.  I try and make sure I don't have a refund because I don't like loaning the goobermint money for free.  Anywho, my taxes would decrease by around $1500.00+ dollars.

You must be in the Nancy Pelosi/Joe Kennedy 1%.

Evil Oppressor.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 11:27:33 PM »
I got my Trump bonus in December.
After taxes it was enough to cover my annual property taxes.
  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 01:54:15 AM »
Pfft. Crumbs. You can't even buy a Prius for that.

Go home, Nancy.  You're drunk.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 06:43:17 AM »
Got my first paycheck under the new rules. Up just shy of $80. I like my crumbs.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 08:13:03 AM »
I'm going to have to figure mine out. I'd missed a shift differential code on one of my time sheets and it skewed everything.
Preliminary looks to be about $40 less in taxes for a 2 week pay period.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 08:15:12 AM »
I just plowed about half of that back into my 401K by increasing my withholding 1%.

When I finally get out from under all of the expenses that my Mom saddled me with in her estate and get caught up on what I have outstanding I'm going to push my annual withholding back around 25%.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »
I received a slight paycheck bump with the new withholdings rate.

Like Mike, I used it to bump my retirement savings.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 09:38:15 AM »
Awesome news!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 10:01:01 AM »
Huh. No change here as of my paycheck this morning.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 10:01:03 AM »
Our company just revised the tax withholding also.  Got $100 or more bump.  

IMO, a reason Republicans should be safe this fall if they don't screw it up.  Getting more money in your paycheck is a very personal benefit that is hard for Dems to explain away.  I don't necessarily disagree with some of you that many in the Republican leadership are stupid, but leadership of the Democrats right now is just as stupid if not more so.  

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 10:08:22 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 10:13:08 AM »
"Getting more money in your paycheck is a very personal benefit that is hard for Dems to explain away."

But they did! Nancy did! It's just crumbs that mean nothing to REAL Americans*!

* Those are the ones who believe that government should give them all of the free *expletive deleted*it they want, all paid for with government money harvested from the magical money trees.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 10:16:31 AM »
Our company just revised the tax withholding also.  Got $100 or more bump.  

IMO, a reason Republicans should be safe this fall if they don't screw it up.  Getting more money in your paycheck is a very personal benefit that is hard for Dems to explain away.  I don't necessarily disagree with some of you that many in the Republican leadership are stupid, but leadership of the Democrats right now is just as stupid if not more so.  

So have the Democrats started negotiating with Republicans for the trademark rights to Stupid PartyTM?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 10:25:31 AM »

* Those are the ones who believe that government should give them all of the free *expletive deleted*it they want, all paid for with government money harvested from the magical money trees.

Also those liberal elites who think $8 for a cup of coffee every morning is chump change, and that everyone shops at Whole Foods. When you don't understand that what you spend on luxuries in a single day is what some people use for the whole week, then I guess it's easy to look at a thousand ducats as "crumbs".

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 11:00:21 AM »
Look like I get to keep an extra $200ish a month now. Just crumbs though.  ;/

Actually I might use some of those crumbs to buy a new motorcycle, it’s been probably 20 years since I sold the one I had and I’ve been thinking about getting a new one.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 11:02:52 AM »
Among other things, we've noticed my wife has been getting a lot more interest in dance lessons. I'm betting the increase in disposable income has many women looking for leisure activities they had forgone previously.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 11:10:49 AM »
Look like I get to keep an extra $200ish a month now. Just crumbs though.  ;/

Actually I might use some of those crumbs to buy a new motorcycle, it’s been probably 20 years since I sold the one I had and I’ve been thinking about getting a new one.

What What WHAT???

YOU WEALTH MONGERING BASTARD! YOU SHOULD BE GIVING THAT MONEY TO DEMOCRAT CAUSES THAT HELP THE POOR (Democrats)! YOU'RE JUST ANOTHER HEARTLESS WEALTH SUCKING DEPLORABLE TRUMP SUPPORTER!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 11:28:44 AM »
My take home pay went down :'(

by $0.01

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 11:31:02 AM »
My take home pay went down :'(

by $0.01

Now that's a crumb.

Sorry to see that you'll be joining the Pelosi Army because she was right...

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 12:15:12 PM »
Wife got paid yesterday, check was up about 60 bucks. Next week is when I'll get to see what it did to mine.

I approve of this.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »
What What WHAT???

YOU WEALTH MONGERING BASTARD! YOU SHOULD BE GIVING THAT MONEY TO DEMOCRAT CAUSES THAT HELP THE POOR (Democrats)! YOU'RE JUST ANOTHER HEARTLESS WEALTH SUCKING DEPLORABLE TRUMP SUPPORTER!

Hey. I resemble that remark!

They are still getting enough taxes from me to fund all sorts of nonsense. I’m not feeling even a little bit sorry about keeping more of the money I earned.