Author Topic: AVG: no longer free. Best remaining FREE anti-virus?  (Read 1128 times)

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

AVG: no longer free. Best remaining FREE anti-virus?
« on: January 17, 2007, 11:03:13 AM »
On my home machines, I made a switch to AVG about a year ago, due to the simplicity of the GUI, hands off updates and "set it and forget it" beauty.  I had access to free Norton A/V at the time through work, but actually preferred AVG.

As of today, they are no longer free.
I've tried Avast! about a year ago, but was underwhelmed.

What are you guys using  (other than the Symantec/McAfee for-pay options)?
How effective is it?

TIA,
Fig

Telperion

• friend
Re: AVG: no longer free. Best remaining FREE anti-virus?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 11:12:48 AM »
I've been using Avira (http://www.free-av.com).  It's pretty low maintenance and seems to work well.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 11:16:50 AM »
Another person looking for such a beast.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

client32

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 12:37:09 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but it still looks free to me.  They just want you to upgrade to the new version.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

I also thought Microsoft had something in beta, but I couldn't find it just now.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 12:46:24 PM »
Client32 is correct.  AVG wants you to update to the 7.5 Free version as they are dropping support for the 7.1 Free version.  Simple operation really, I've done so on my mother's PC and on my HTPC.

And seriously, their payware is not that pricey. A two year subscription for AVG Pro is less than $40, while the two year plan for file/email server is $77/$133 respectively and is not nearly as burdensome as Norton.   I run them on my critcal machines at home (Firewall & DC/Ex2k3 boxes).
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Zed

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 12:54:26 PM »
On my home machines, I made a switch to AVG about a year ago, due to the simplicity of the GUI, hands off updates and "set it and forget it" beauty.  I had access to free Norton A/V at the time through work, but actually preferred AVG.

As of today, they are no longer free.

BS, Go here. http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 05:58:33 PM »
Thanks guys.

Indeed, I should have looked closer and done more "due diligence" before panicking.

I've been telling my kids ever since we saw Hitchhiker's Guide a couple of months ago: The first rule is: Don't Panic!

I violated it myself, and apologies are thus offered.

RTFM!
Read the Furnished Materials!  cool