Author Topic: Student Walkouts for Gun Control  (Read 1313 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Student Walkouts for Gun Control
« on: February 17, 2018, 07:49:31 PM »
I figured this was a bit too much of a tangent to put in the FL shooting thread, but because of that shooting, apparently students "around the country" will hold mass walkouts for gun control.

What will be of interest, and what will be ignored, is that any student groups who might decide to do a walkout to support the Second Amendment would not be able to do so because they would be breaking zero tolerance rules at their school. The MSM and the other usual suspects will say that students are 100% behind gun control.

https://twitchy.com/bethb-313034/2018/02/17/ban-the-guns-students-organize-nationwide-student-walkout-to-call-for-immediate-gun-control/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Student Walkouts for Gun Control
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 07:58:25 PM »
Plus any students not favoring gun control will be afraid to say anything or to NOT march for fear of being ostracized by their peers.

Anyway, high school (and/or middle or elementary school) students don't know nearly enough about the multitude of factors involved to have a coherent opinion. Any demonstrations, no matter what they say, aren't really about "gun control," they're really about "we don't want to get shot at school" control. But all they're seeing in the media is that gun control will make them safe, so that's the buzzword for the day.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 08:02:06 PM »
Well, I'm absolutely interested in what high-schoolers think about complex social issues.

Their opinions tend to be well formed and shaped by life experience and careful thought.  I hope Congress give the proper weight to such deep thought.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 08:14:33 PM »
Well, I'm absolutely interested in what high-schoolers think about complex social issues.

Their opinions tend to be well formed and shaped by life experience and careful thought.  I hope Congress give the proper weight to such deep thought.

I 100% agree with you. Sadly though, this kind of emotional blackmail nonsense tugs at the hearts of far too great a percentage of the voting public. I seem to recall some California state politicians (dem of course) trying to gin up something about changing the state voting age to 16.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 08:31:42 PM »
Who is funding this? Saw the rally in Florida, sorry, people who have been through something like that don't just slap something together, there is anti Trump money behind this.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 09:31:20 PM »
Allowing anti-2A protesting and punishing pro-2A protesting seems like an open and shut case. I hope all these schools get hammered.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 10:30:13 AM »
Plus any students not favoring gun control will be afraid to say anything or to NOT march for fear of being ostracized by their peers.
It's been a long time since high school for me, but pro-gun students in my day would NOT repeat NOT fear being ostracized by their peers; after all, the anti-gun hoplophobes would not actually be peers.

Their fear would be of punitive action taken by FACULTY and ADMINISTRATORS who would be intolerant of anyone airing differing opinions.

And anyway, I think nearly all student walkouts are just a handy excuse to get out of class for a while. Let's face it, most elementary and high school students would really rather be somewhere else of their choosing instead of a classroom.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 10:40:39 AM »

And anyway, I think nearly all student walkouts are just a handy excuse to get out of class for a while. Let's face it, most elementary and high school students would really rather be somewhere else of their choosing instead of a classroom.

Occum's Razor. It's all about a "free day" man. I don't recall any political actions when I was in Junior High or High School, but I do remember rallies about stuff I thought was stupid. My friends and I walked out of class with everyone else and just hung out, having nothing to do with whatever the rally was.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 11:26:09 AM »
Occum's Razor. It's all about a "free day" man. I don't recall any political actions when I was in Junior High or High School, but I do remember rallies about stuff I thought was stupid. My friends and I walked out of class with everyone else and just hung out, having nothing to do with whatever the rally was.

Yep. It's all just an excuse to skip class.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 11:34:56 AM »
Using the kids is just the latest tactic in the war on the 2nd Amendment.  The Sunday morning talk shows are full of it today.
I will say the kids being shown are well spoken and articulate, almost as if they had rehearsed this for quite some time.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 11:42:05 AM »
Using the kids is just the latest tactic in the war on the 2nd Amendment.  The Sunday morning talk shows are full of it today.
I will say the kids being shown are well spoken and articulate, almost as if they had rehearsed this for quite some time.

Even back when they did the "rallies" at my schools, there were a few well-spoken, articulate, enthusiastic kids (usually on the student body) that were "rah-rah" for the cause. Probably about 2% of the "walkout" population representing the other 98%, many of whom couldn't care less and many of whom had no idea what the walkout was about.

Of course back then the adults looked at it as the kids learning about participation in society. Today we have adults quoting "woke" six year olds as if they were Nobel Laureates (and not kids that were prepped by their activist parents).

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 08:20:26 AM »
Who is funding this? Saw the rally in Florida, sorry, people who have been through something like that don't just slap something together, there is anti Trump money behind this.

The Million Mom March is actually. Saw an article somewhere talking about it, in a positive light so it wasn't just a smear campaign trying to blast them.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 08:23:34 AM »
I'm sad (not really) that my children aren't in public schools. I'd give them a copy of "The Art of the Rifle" to read while everyone else walked out.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought