Author Topic: Skiing  (Read 1128 times)

zahc

• friend
Skiing
« on: December 28, 2019, 05:39:55 PM »
I tried skiing for the first time and took a beginner lesson. I am pretty sure they gave me 158cm rental skis. It was great and I was ready to try the blue square runs next time. But the next time I went back they gave me 166cm skis. They said 166 is the right size for me and would be better. It seemed to me like they didn't turn; I would go to make a turn but the downhill ski would like not turn fast enough and throw me off balance. So I went down like 2 notches of confidence.

Should I just tell them to give me 158 next time? Or did I learn wrong, and stick with the 166 until I learn to make them work? Or is it all in my head?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Skiing
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 06:17:18 PM »
It has been many years, but there should be a length range for your height. The shorter end of the range turns better/easier. The longer end is more stable for faster runs, but will be more difficult to turn. I recall the shorter end of the range is better for beginners.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 07:44:52 PM »
My non expert opinion sounds like off balance means your weight is ending up on the uphill ski and you are doing somewhat of a plow turn. Lean in the direction you want to go and unweight your uphill ski. If you need the shorter ski get it back, but keep trying on the mechanics.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 07:47:44 PM »
It has been many years, but there should be a length range for your height. The shorter end of the range turns better/easier. The longer end is more stable for faster runs, but will be more difficult to turn. I recall the shorter end of the range is better for beginners.

Ben is right.

A properly sharpened and wax ski handles better, so maybe that was part of your issue.  No one says you must have long skis.  Go with short skis and be happy.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 09:18:09 PM »
158 is outside the usual recommended range. From what the internet tells me, the ski is supposed to stand between your chin and forehead. For me 158is more like at my neck. At the rental shop, they only have 158, 166, and 176, so 158 is basically one size down.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 11:59:27 PM »
How tall are you and how much do you weigh? I was about 6'-2" and weighed around 175 when I was skiing. For most of that period I skied on 205s. The last set I bought, which I skied on for maybe three seasons IIRC, were 185s and they felt like a new car with power steering.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 08:23:00 PM »
First off, I'm not an alpine skier, ever.

I do work for a company that sells ski equipment as well as other outdoor adventure gear.

Not all ski's are the same.

Wider and longer ski's have a wider turn radius, generally.

The chin to forehead length is a solid typical rule of thumb.

Look up "rocker". There are tip and tail rocker skis and tip rocker only skis and they will ski differently.

Rocker makes a longer ski turn like a shorter ski.

The most important piece is boot fit. Your experience may actually have been influenced more by the boot fit than the skis.

Properly waxed skis with a flat base and tuned edges will offer the best handling characteristics.

Pay attention to what you're renting and take notes as well as research the equipment that worked for you.

If you are buying gear buy boots first. Go to one or two shops and don't buy boots if you don't go through the boot fit/shell fit procedure.

With your properly fitted boots you can then rent/demo skis and find out what works for you.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 09:22:25 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 06:52:17 AM »
It's been many years since I've been skiing and the equipment has changed a lot. However most likely with the bunny slopes - can you still call them that without the SJW's getting after you? Most likely the shorter skis were better since you don't necessarily have the speed to need or make longer skis better. I'm not sure how you were taught, but you should be able to do the snowplow and then bring the up-slope ski in to the down-slope ski to make the turn, it takes practice. With the shorter skis this was likely easier or you were more able to just turn both skis at the same time.

Also there is nothing technically wrong with using shorter skis if that is your prefernce, but they may not be as stable at higher speeds. I recall a number of years back shorter/wider skis were all the rage for awhile, may still be. This may not matter as much for beginner slopes, but on higher grade slopes when you may end up going faster than you want it will take more effort to slow down and your stability will not be as good with short vs long skis. Experience of course would make this matter less to most people in most circumstances.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 03:26:32 PM »
It's been many years since I've been skiing and the equipment has changed a lot. However most likely with the bunny slopes - can you still call them that without the SJW's getting after you?

Yes, most SJWs will tolerate that.  However, the Furries are likely to give you a ration of *expletive deleted*it for it.   =D
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.