Author Topic: The Gun Control Bandwagon  (Read 77073 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The Gun Control Bandwagon
« Reply #350 on: March 19, 2018, 03:10:58 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #351 on: March 19, 2018, 03:15:02 PM »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #352 on: March 19, 2018, 03:24:46 PM »
It's ripe for a demotivator meme, of course. One caption I was thinking of was along the lines of "Glock Perfection May Not Extend to the Operator." Needs some tweaking, though.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #354 on: March 19, 2018, 06:30:28 PM »
Can you imagine the utter shitstorm that would have rained down on any conservative politician that had made that suggestion about Obama?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #355 on: March 19, 2018, 06:42:20 PM »
The Left only has double standards.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #356 on: March 19, 2018, 07:38:09 PM »
The Left only has double standards.

Be happy with THAT,  cause if they didn't have double standards they have no standards. [popcorn] >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #357 on: March 19, 2018, 07:48:33 PM »
Be happy with THAT,  cause if they didn't have double standards they'd have no standards. [popcorn] >:D

:rofl:

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #358 on: March 19, 2018, 10:28:30 PM »
https://nypost.com/2018/03/19/congressman-suggests-second-amendment-as-means-of-opposing-trump/

:facepalm:

But the Suozzi campaign at the same time seemed to double down on the comments, as they forwarded a line penned by Thomas Jefferson that called for armed resistance.

“What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms,” the quote said.

Suozzi’s comment seems to conflict with his recent push for gun control following the Parkland, Florida, school shooting.

Suozzi even participated in the March 14 student walkout for gun control outside the US Capitol — and called on the young people of his district to back tightened gun laws.

Goodness me! A liberal gun grabber engaging in hypocrisy. What's this world coming to, anyway?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #359 on: March 21, 2018, 08:14:14 PM »
Remember how some people turned their rifles into illegal SBRs following the shooting? So far it appears the ATF doesn't care, https://pilotonline.com/news/government/politics/local/article_3f9ca756-26de-11e8-85cd-8bf636d46afc.html
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #360 on: March 22, 2018, 12:18:38 AM »
Remember how some people turned their rifles into illegal SBRs following the shooting? So far it appears the ATF doesn't care, https://pilotonline.com/news/government/politics/local/article_3f9ca756-26de-11e8-85cd-8bf636d46afc.html

I didn't know intent was a factor.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #361 on: March 22, 2018, 10:47:04 AM »

Hmmm ...

Adam Gershowitz, a College of William & Mary law school professor who specializes in criminal law, said Mallard’s cutting off most of the barrel of the gun doesn’t mean she committed a crime. Prosecutors would be required to show she intended to create an unlawful weapon when she cut it, he said.

Different rules for politicians (and those who aspire to become politicians), it seems. This sounds suspiciously like a well-known statement to the effect that Hillary Clinton shouldn't be prosecuted for unlawfully transmitting classified material by e-mail because she didn't "intend" to violate the law.

How did that work out for Randy Weaver?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #362 on: March 22, 2018, 12:17:41 PM »
Hmmm ...

Different rules for politicians (and those who aspire to become politicians), it seems. This sounds suspiciously like a well-known statement to the effect that Hillary Clinton shouldn't be prosecuted for unlawfully transmitting classified material by e-mail because she didn't "intend" to violate the law.

How did that work out for Randy Weaver?

So if I cut down a rifle so it would fit in a particular case or place and I said I didn't know about those obscure laws would I be able to get off? I really didn't have intent. ;)

I don't think I will try, I know what happened to Randy Weaver, he is a semi-local guy.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #363 on: March 22, 2018, 01:07:08 PM »
^^^I wonder whatever happened to Mr. Weaver?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #364 on: March 22, 2018, 02:11:35 PM »
^^^I wonder whatever happened to Mr. Weaver?

I don't think he is around here anymore. He used to hit the gun show circuit for a while. Last year (2017) was the 25th anniversary of Ruby Ridge and it was all over the news and in the newspapers as a retrospective look at things.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/aug/20/shawn-vestal-tremors-of-ruby-ridge-in-todays-natio/

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/feb/12/journalist-was-eyewitness-to-tragedy-nightmare-of-/#/0

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/feb/12/return-to-ruby-ridge-american-experience-returns-t/

I think his daughter Sara still lives around here though. I think she hit the local gun show last year to talk about the standoff.

bob

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #365 on: March 23, 2018, 11:16:12 AM »
Old and busted: "Hey, YOU BLOODTHIRSTY GUN NUTS HAVE BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS FOR INSISTING ON YOUR CONSTITUTIONALLY GUARANTEED RIGHTS! YOU JUST WANT MORE DEAD CHILDREN FOR THE GUN $$$$$"

New hotness: "Clear backpacks are embarrassing and how DARE you infringe on our RIGHT TO PRIVACY!"

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2018/03/23/hmm-david-hogg-doesnt-want-students-constitutional-right-to-carry-non-clear-backpacks-infringed-upon/?utm_campaign=twitchywidget
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #366 on: March 23, 2018, 11:19:54 AM »
Since when do public school students have a right to privacy?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #367 on: March 23, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »
Since when do public school students have a right to privacy?

HOW DARE YOU! IT'S MY RIGHT! RIGHT THERE IN THE PENUMBRAS AND EMANATIONS OF AMENDMNENT FOURTuuuhhh FOUuhhh (mumblemumblemumble).. HAVE YOU NO DECENCY?!!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #368 on: March 23, 2018, 11:40:25 AM »
I hate to be one of those "I walked 10 miles to school in the snow barefoot" guys, but I'm curious on this whole backpack thing.

In elementary school, we just carried our books and binders under our arms and I walked a mile to school like that.
In Junior High, we carried the books and binders we needed under our arms, and the rest were kept in our lockers, swapped out between periods.
High School was the same as Junior High, though instead of the bus, I rode my bike and my homework stuff went on the bike rack. At least till senior year when I had a car.

Do they not put lockers in schools anymore? For Junior High and higher, I can then understand the need for backpacks. Seems like these days, kids would also have fewer books than I did, and laptops/tablets don't weigh much, at least compared to a 1970s math book.

Otherwise, fine, carry a backpack - it's a lot easier than carrying books under your arm, but as mentioned above, at what point did school kids get privacy? I remember any teacher at any time for any reason could open my locker at school if they wanted to. At least with a clear backpack, the bullies aren't knocking the three books and a binder you're carrying under your arm onto the ground every other day. Certainly there can be some very personal privacy issues - feminine products, meds, etc. They likely need to come up with a solution to that, or else just leave both guns and backpacks alone.

Also, yeah, this Hogg kid suddenly is concerned with rights when a restriction affects him? He has become the poster boy for the progressive agenda of "We're taking your rights, don't touch ours!" His freakin' 15 minutes expired like two weeks ago. I can only imagine the kind of crap that will come out of this weekend.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #369 on: March 23, 2018, 12:07:13 PM »
I'll agree with Hogg on this.  I don't like the clear backpacks idea (or the clear bags rule at sporting events).  I don't like training our kids to be more and more accepting of and comfortable with the culture of surveillance, lack of privacy, and so forth.  Yes, I get it is school, and yes, I realize schools are already frighteningly similar to prisons, but that doesn't mean I support moving further in that direction.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #370 on: March 23, 2018, 12:23:42 PM »
School is slowly turning into prison for kids and they might get some education out of it.  Wait until they suggest housing them in dormitories so they don't have to actually leave the school grounds.  Most of them are from broken families anyway and we are already feeding them multiple meals a day so why do they need to go home?   ;/
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #371 on: March 23, 2018, 05:06:13 PM »
Watching old movies or TV shoes kids used to use bookstraps to keep all their things together.

Why not go back to using those?

http://mentalfloss.com/article/68513/15-forgotten-school-supplies-we-should-bring-back   (#5)
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #372 on: March 23, 2018, 05:12:23 PM »
Watching old movies or TV shoes kids used to use bookstraps to keep all their things together.

Why not go back to using those?

Because then we'd have to teach them how to use them, and that would use up half the academic year.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #373 on: March 24, 2018, 08:48:32 AM »
I remember after Columbine our school temporarily banned backpacks, so I through all my things in a black garbage bag and dragged that from class to class. :angel:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #374 on: March 24, 2018, 02:51:20 PM »
Looking at the coverage of the March for AstroTurf and man. If you hate Trump, why give him this midterm gift? Any chance of a rational platform from the left( I know, I know, stop laughing) is done.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.