Author Topic: Walmart is at it again  (Read 2910 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Walmart is at it again
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 10:37:06 AM »
"They’d eat a quarter of a jar and throw the thing away when they got moldy. A family can’t eat them fast enough.”

Goddamned amateurs. I can go through a gallon of pickles in in a week or two. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 10:43:37 AM »
"They’d eat a quarter of a jar and throw the thing away when they got moldy. A family can’t eat them fast enough.”

And given that there's this process normally done to pickles called "pickling" that was designed specifically to keep them from spoiling before hermetically sealed, sterile jars were a thing, if Vlasic's pickles are going moldy at all, then I'm glad I buy Mount Olive pickles.  (Usually still under $4/gallon at HEB, and sometimes even in glass jars instead of plastic.)  I know from experience that a jar half eaten and forgotten in the back of the cabinet will still be fine in ~18 months.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 02:06:55 PM »

That's what I was thinking.  With three teenagers in the house, a quart can't last through the day here.

We grow and put up our own (124 quarts last summer) but on the rare occasions we've run out, I buy Vlasic.  They're not as good as ours, but they ARE pretty good.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 02:19:41 PM »
Truth be told, I've never cared much for Vlasic. I tend to like Mt. Olive, especially their bread and butter pickles, which go great in a pork and provolone sandwich.

A few years ago I tried making my own dill pickles. Everything was looking absolutely spot on perfect...

Then I got home from work on day three to a horrible smell in the house. Something had invaded my pickles and turned the hole batch slimy and disgusting with some sort of black mold. Heartbroken isn't the word for it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 03:51:45 PM »
Truth be told, I've never cared much for Vlasic. I tend to like Mt. Olive, especially their bread and butter pickles, which go great in a pork and provolone sandwich.

A few years ago I tried making my own dill pickles. Everything was looking absolutely spot on perfect...

Then I got home from work on day three to a horrible smell in the house. Something had invaded my pickles and turned the hole batch slimy and disgusting with some sort of black mold. Heartbroken isn't the word for it.

Something was way wrong.  If you're interested, I'll post our recipe in the Mess Hall, step by step.  This year, we lost about ten quarts that didn't seal.  I didn't include those in the 124 quarts.  There's nothing special or secret about our recipe, just dill pickles like my grandparents used to make, somewhat refined to our tastes.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2018, 06:53:56 PM »
The classic "WalMart is the Devil and doing business with them will destroy you" is the Vlasic story.

https://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know

Yepp.

Wal-Mart has also lulled shoppers into ignoring the difference between the price of something and the cost. Its unending focus on price underscores something that Americans are only starting to realize about globalization: Ever-cheaper prices have consequences. Says Steve Dobbins, president of thread maker Carolina Mills: “We want clean air, clear water, good living conditions, the best health care in the world–yet we aren’t willing to pay for anything manufactured under those restrictions.”
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2018, 09:14:15 PM »
"Something was way wrong."

Yeah, the putrid smell tipped me off...

Judging by what you're saying, I'm thinking you made refrigerator pickles, where you use a vinegar, sugar, salt solution to "pickle" the cukes?

That's not what I was doing. I was making naturally fermented pickles.

Making fermented dill pickles isn't rocket science, but you are battling against every other natural critter that's out there, hoping that the salt will keep the nasties at bay until the lactobacillus turns everything into an acidic soup in which nothing bad can live.

I lost that battle. And my pickles.

I lost a batch of sauerkraut the same way once.

But when it turns out right, there's nothing better on the face of the earth.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 10:45:15 AM »
That's not what I was doing. I was making naturally fermented pickles.
Yes, after I thought about it, I knew you were making what my mom called "crock pickles".  Ours are pickled in a jar and sealed.  We occasionally lose a jar, but only when the seal doesn't work.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 10:48:56 AM »
This needs to be posted here:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2018, 10:55:59 AM »
Another total amateur...

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:15:59 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2018, 07:58:17 PM »
The classic "WalMart is the Devil and doing business with them will destroy you" is the Vlasic story.

https://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know

I wouldn’t be quick to blame on Walmart, I’ve seen too many underhanded sleazy moves made by sales staff that are deleterious to the companies they work for.
It was probably a a combination of commissions, a lofty sales goal, and a total disregard for profit margins.
Currently my business unit sells our premium line of products for a lower price than we get for our lower tier of equivalent products (same chemicals, about 1% difference in purity, but that extra percent of purity is very expensive to produce) because of a salesperson’s hubris.

I’ve seen this happen over and over again, in fact I know a guy who has made a very lucrative career out of screwing companies he’s worked for by finding loopholes in his sales contracts and taking full advantage of them.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama