Author Topic: Smartphone  (Read 11513 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Smartphone
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2018, 10:10:06 AM »
The last thing I want is a phone that I can open with either a facial profile, voice print, or finger print as opposed to something that you have to enter via the keyboard.

Courts have ruled that police don't need a warrant to force you to open your phone if you use a face print or fingerprint. Don't have anything to hide, but I'm not going to make it easier for anyone to get into my business.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 10:12:12 AM »
Courts have ruled that police don't need a warrant to force you to open your phone if you use a face print or fingerprint. Don't have anything to hide, but I'm not going to make it easier for anyone to get into my business.

Exactly. It's a matter of principle. I switched from fingerprint back to a password after all that came out.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »

Very frustrating, especially when I'm trying to take pictures of a wiggly, 5-month-old lab puppy.

I don't believe you. I triple dog dare you to post pictures of the alleged lab puppy.

=D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2018, 10:35:32 AM »
I don't believe you. I triple dog dare you to post pictures of the alleged lab puppy.

=D

...and Ben creates a slight breach of etiquette by skipping the triple-dare and going right for the throat.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2018, 03:17:56 PM »
I have an IPhone 6S Plus. I like it, but will probably be switching to an Android in the next couple of months. I can't decide between a Note 8 or a Razer. The Note 8 would be more "practical", but the Razer is really appeals to me. 120hz refresh rate, 8 gigs of RAM, and twin front mounted Dolby speakers. That's hard for me to resist.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2018, 07:25:16 PM »
I've been on the road for 2 days.  Right before I left, the weird battery problem got worse and I *almost* took the phone back the Best Buy.  Then it started working just fine.  It has charged w/o a glitch several times now (I've been using high-drain apps like GPS), and before it never charged right.

I need to find another text messaging app.  The version that came standard on this phone is horrible.  I think it's the same app as my old phone, but that was a different version of Android (Lollipop vs Nougat.)  The biggest problem is I cannot delete messages, only delete entire conversations.  The old phone let me delete individual messages and keep the good ones.  It also would tell me the number of unread messages in the home screen (on the icon) and the newer one doesn't.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2018, 09:19:31 PM »
Try Message+

I downloaded it from the Google store. It is much better than the one that comes with the Samsung phone. You can delete individual messages but it's a bit clunky in that regard.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2018, 07:17:18 AM »

My S7 doesn't take anything like that long, but it does lag for a second or two. Very frustrating, especially when I'm trying to take pictures of a wiggly, 5-month-old lab puppy.

The most important thing to me regarding cameras is speed. In my experience, Android cameras are slower than iPhone cameras on average. I think image quality became good enough several generations ago. I wish all of the improvement resources would go toward making the cameras faster rather than more MPix or more modes I never use.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2018, 02:54:20 PM »
As a member of The Association of Mature American Citizens AMAC.us I hooked up with their cellphone plan.  PureTalk USA. 

Unless you need the latest and greatest, they have late model I-Phones, other smart phones, and even flip phones.  I personally, got a a refurbed Kyocera E6560 for, IIRC, $60.  Monthly fee is $37.62 for unlimited talk, text and data.  Provider is AT&T which has really done quite a bit to improve their network.  Both by being able to glom onto AT&T wireless routers, and the 4G.   I was able to surf the web from my tree stand this past November while deer hunting.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2018, 03:15:30 PM »
Try Message+

I downloaded it from the Google store. It is much better than the one that comes with the Samsung phone. You can delete individual messages but it's a bit clunky in that regard.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm trying the Facebook Messenger app since it was on my phone already; I told it I don't have a FB account when I set it up.  It doesn't seem much difference from Message.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2018, 04:30:37 PM »
The most important thing to me regarding cameras is speed. In my experience, Android cameras are slower than iPhone cameras on average. I think image quality became good enough several generations ago. I wish all of the improvement resources would go toward making the cameras faster rather than more MPix or more modes I never use.

Fortunately, I don't really care to photograph much of anything.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2018, 07:49:53 PM »
I also use Message+ on my laptop and like it.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!