Author Topic: Dick's Sporting Goods, age discrimination suit  (Read 7917 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Dick's Sporting Goods, age discrimination suit
« on: March 06, 2018, 09:46:47 AM »
Wondered how long it would take this to happen.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/20-year-old-sues-dicks-walmart-over-new-gun-policies/2018/03/05/c61d80a2-20f8-11e8-946c-9420060cb7bd_story.html?utm_term=.bae1f5a6f7ef

Short version, Oregon has a statute which generally says no discrimination based on age unless objectively defined mitigating circumstances exist. In other words, if you meet the legal criteria for purchasing a firearm and have the money to do so, they have to sell it to you unless they can show a good faith, legally-defined reason for denial. 20 year old goes into purchase .22 rifle and is denied based solely on age, seemingly running directly afoul of aforementioned statute.

This one actually has some teeth. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

[popcorn]

Brad
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:21:12 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Dick's Sporting Goods, age discrimination suit
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 10:02:54 AM »
I love the taking of the Progressive's laws and using them against them.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 10:04:56 AM »
It will be interesting to see how that plays out in the Oregon courts. I saw the governor just signed gun control legislation closing the "boyfriend loophole" as she called it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 10:19:43 AM »
It will be interesting to see how that plays out in the Oregon courts. I saw the governor just signed gun control legislation closing the "boyfriend loophole" as she called it.
Something tells me it does a lot more than just make straw purchasing illegal (again). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 10:25:39 AM »
Something tells me it does a lot more than just make straw purchasing illegal (again).  

It appears to be related to "domestic violence". A term that always scares me when related to gun (and other) rights, because not only is the term broadly abused regarding what constitutes "violence" but the reporting parameters are always ripe for false accusations ("getting even" in bad breakups, etc.)with little to no recourse for the accused.

Sorry for the early thread veer Brad.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 11:37:43 AM »
Bake the cake, Dicks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 11:39:06 AM »
Dick's, it not just a name, it's an attitude.

bob

;)

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 11:53:43 AM »
Bake the cake, Dicks.

BAKE IT!   :police:

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 03:53:59 PM »
Bake the cake, Dicks.

Good thing you capitalized that.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 05:37:30 PM »
What gunowners were still shopping at Dicks since they did the same after Sandy Hook? Their stock price and revenue has mostly been down since then anyway; I didn’t and don’t think they will be in business much longer either way.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 10:32:27 PM »
It appears to be related to "domestic violence". A term that always scares me when related to gun (and other) rights, because not only is the term broadly abused regarding what constitutes "violence" but the reporting parameters are always ripe for false accusations ("getting even" in bad breakups, etc.)with little to no recourse for the accused.

From what I've heard, it's basically the Laughtenberg Amendment, except they tacked on stalking convictions. So, almost entirely redundant to already existing federal law.

Could have been worse. Much worse.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 10:50:44 AM »

What took you so long?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB