Author Topic: Why Mattis is Bulletproof in a Trump Administration  (Read 3382 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Why Mattis is Bulletproof in a Trump Administration
« on: March 27, 2018, 11:03:51 PM »
Even though it's way to the left Politico, I thought this was a pretty good article on Mattis' strategy for working in the Trump administration.

I would say Mattis is only close to bulletproof. I could actually see Trump go on a tear were a Mattis comment to get out that was personally directed at the President in a negative way, and fire the guy. If he did though, I think he would lose, or lose a lot of support from, at least half his voting base.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/03/23/james-mattis-defense-secretary-how-to-succeed-in-trump-cabinet-without-getting-fired-217699
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Why Mattis is Bulletproof in a Trump Administration
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 11:24:16 PM »
I would say Respect born out of Fear, on Trump's part.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 09:12:48 AM »

QFT.  Even Trump, with as much ego as he has, must recognize that Mattis has the support of damned near everyone who is wearing, or who has worn, a uniform in defense of this nation, along with their friends and family.   Keeping Mattis means, in large part, keeping those votes on his side.

You know, I always pictured Mattis as the kind of General who would be willing to roll up his sleeves and get dirty next to his Marines if that what was needed.  I picture him leading from the front, not issuing commands from an air conditioned office like a REMF.  The kind of officer I respected and tried to emulate when I was wearing a uniform.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 09:33:41 AM »

I absolutely believe that is a large part of it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 09:36:21 AM »
QFT.  Even Trump, with as much ego as he has, must recognize that Mattis has the support of damned near everyone who is wearing, or who has worn, a uniform in defense of this nation, along with their friends and family.   Keeping Mattis means, in large part, keeping those votes on his side.

You know, I always pictured Mattis as the kind of General who would be willing to roll up his sleeves and get dirty next to his Marines if that what was needed.  I picture him leading from the front, not issuing commands from an air conditioned office like a REMF.  The kind of officer I respected and tried to emulate when I was wearing a uniform.

That's his rep.  Says a lot that all the branches admire him.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 09:43:53 AM »
That's his rep.  Says a lot that all the branches admire him.

Seems like that goes across the civilian spectrum as well. The fact that Politico wrote an essentially positive piece on him seems to indicate that he's popular, or at least accepted and respected, across the political spectrum. I can't think of the last time the far left had positive comments for a SECDEF in an R administration.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »
Seems like that goes across the civilian spectrum as well. The fact that Politico wrote an essentially positive piece on him seems to indicate that he's popular, or at least accepted and respected, across the political spectrum. I can't think of the last time the far left had positive comments for a SECDEF in an R administration.

Maybe because he's not a career politician.  Yes, he's politically adept.  Can't achieve that rank in any military branch without significant political skills.  But he is a Marine first.  Even most hard core libs realize that there is a need for people willing to wear a uniform and stand in harm's way.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 03:33:45 PM »

I assume you've read the James Mattis Christmas Story?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 04:16:44 PM »
I assume you've read the James Mattis Christmas Story?

No.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 12:05:57 AM »
http://www.naus.org/a-general-mattis-christmas-story/

Great story. I've seen it several times before, but it doesn't get any worse for being seen multiple times.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 06:31:10 AM »
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 08:27:43 AM »
If you really want to understand him, this is a fantastic interview with him
https://youtu.be/HOc38ZwEO8s
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 08:36:50 AM »
When you see him in theater carrying his own bags that says whole volumes. If you could clone him and get rid of all the mealy mouth boot lickers (Amos) this country would have a chance.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 08:47:14 AM »
When you see him in theater carrying his own bags that says whole volumes. If you could clone him and get rid of all the mealy mouth boot lickers (Amos) this country would have a chance.

Also armed in theater.
JD

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 09:51:42 AM »
Also armed in theater.

Thread tangent...now that the M17 is rolling out, I wonder if they will make a special model for generals, as they did with 1911s and the M9...

Trying to find an article about what handgun Mattis carried, and issue handguns for Generals, I came across this article.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/16623/the-us-army-is-issuing-its-new-m17-pistols-to-many-more-troops-than-its-predecessor

Apparently, the Army is going to issue more handguns to infantry units, and toyed with the idea of issuing an M17 to everyone.  Looks like the plan may be to issue a handgun to every squad leader, not just senior NCOs and officers.  Looks like lessons learned from all the CQB in Iraq and Afghanistan has shown that maneuverability in close quarters favors the handgun over the carbine. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 12:23:09 PM »
With the modularity and the ability to swap out frames and slides, it wouldn't take much to customize the gun for a general.  I was hoping there would be more choices on frame sizes and shapes.  I am not sure how they would add bling if any.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 01:01:01 PM »
Thread tangent...now that the M17 is rolling out, I wonder if they will make a special model for generals, as they did with 1911s and the M9...

Trying to find an article about what handgun Mattis carried, and issue handguns for Generals, I came across this article.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/16623/the-us-army-is-issuing-its-new-m17-pistols-to-many-more-troops-than-its-predecessor

Apparently, the Army is going to issue more handguns to infantry units, and toyed with the idea of issuing an M17 to everyone.  Looks like the plan may be to issue a handgun to every squad leader, not just senior NCOs and officers.  Looks like lessons learned from all the CQB in Iraq and Afghanistan has shown that maneuverability in close quarters favors the handgun over the carbine. 

Knowing the way it seems that Mattis operates, I doubt it.  Mattis originally threatened to buy an off the shelf handgun and probably would have if congress would have let him.
JD

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 05:23:13 PM »

Does the M17 fix that little drop-test problem? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch7si_VQsGA
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 05:38:19 PM »
Does the M17 fix that little drop-test problem? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch7si_VQsGA

My understanding is that it was a P320 issue, not an M17 issue. Also, a fix is just a recall upgrade away.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 05:48:51 PM »
My understanding is that it was a P320 issue, not an M17 issue. Also, a fix is just a recall upgrade away.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SigSauer/comments/7sx0xf/whats_the_difference_between_a_p320_and_the_army/

It's not clear to me that the differences between the two will affect drop-test performance, but I'm not a SIG expert.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 06:45:51 PM »
What I had heard was the "fix" essentially did what was already done in the M17.  The M17 trigger had already been changed over the course of military testing.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge