Author Topic: Hermitage homeowner shot, killed burglary suspect  (Read 2722 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Hermitage homeowner shot, killed burglary suspect
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2018, 10:49:19 AM »
All this talk of guns is really quite over the top. As one security expert recently noted:

https://www.expressnews.com/opinion/commentary/article/On-guns-the-answer-lies-in-the-middle-12806157.php

He also has an excellent idea for regulating fully-automatic weapons, so only a special class of "collectors" may own them. We really should look into this bold, new idea.

"You need to be a subscriber to continue reading ..."   

NO THANKS. :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2018, 11:41:11 AM »

I didn't get that, but I also don't get why you're angry that content isn't free. Do you want a free newspaper, to go with your free lunch?  :P

Try going through this website.

https://www.ricochet.com/

Just scroll down to the "Gunsplaining" article, and there's a link in the first paragraph.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2018, 11:43:19 AM »

There needs to be a special category of license required to use popover software, whether for paywalls or those idiotic "our ads really aren't that bad so you have to disable your adblocker" things.  In order to keep the price from becoming unreasonable, it does need to be tied to subscription revenue.  I'm thinking 150% of projected first year gross for the initial license, 110% of previous year gross for each renewal.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 11:45:01 AM »
I didn't get that, but I also don't get why you're angry that content isn't free.

I don't expect it to be free, but I do expect the price to be appropriate to the quality.

Which means most providers should be paying the readers.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2018, 12:47:40 PM »

I didn't get that, but I also don't get why you're angry that content isn't free. Do you want a free newspaper, to go with your free lunch?  :P

Try going through this website.

https://www.ricochet.com/

Just scroll down to the "Gunsplaining" article, and there's a link in the first paragraph.

What makes you think I can either afford a new subscription, or even want to keep up with one?
If you can show me where to get a free lunch,  please do so.  But I thought TANSTAAFL.

Ha ha ...the author infers we gunners are ignorant,  but calls the guns we have full auto and wants a collectors license established.  I guess he's never heard of the National Firearms Act of 1934.

HEADLINE:  "POT CALLS KETTLE BLACK."
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2018, 01:34:17 PM »
To read this post, you must pay me $1.00, even though every other post is free. 

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2018, 01:59:06 PM »
To eat this sandwich, you must pay me $5.99, even though the shelter up the street gives away sandwiches for free.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2018, 04:00:59 PM »
Going back to the first OT.

In the olden days, in some places, the entrance was on the second floor.

You could do that now and with modern electronics it would be easier than ever to have an at-will deployable set of stairs.

How I've imagined my dream residential fortress includes the second story entrance, a high curtain wall topped with unpleasantness, various cameras and such, as well as an "air-lock" type entry at the drive way.

There would be two sliding gates, as I pull up to the house a trigger the first gate and it slides open just enough for the width of my car. I pull into a space that is long enough for my car and has a gate at the end of it and a wall or fence on either side. But I only pull in just enough for the first gate to clear my rear bumper. And as soon as that is closed I open up the second gate and then drive in.

The gates and fences would be as high as the curtain wall and made to resist someone from climbing over them. In this way if anyone has followed me home I can "box them out" as they cannot get their car or even a person past my car. I've even toyed with the idea of having a "scraper". That is a bar that hangs down to just over the height of the car and will scrape off anyone who has had the gall to climb onto the vehicle.

At the main door it would not be flush with the wall but set back like in castles so that there is no hiding place. And yes there would be murder self-defense holes in place.

The door would be heavy and would include the usual hardware as well as a stout bar.

The whole building would be brick and stone, the windows would be thick and on the first floor too small for anyone to fit through.

And the first floor would not be living space. It would be the garage, the laundry room and so forth and would have retractable stairs to the second floor as well.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.