Author Topic: Christian privilege debunked.  (Read 1456 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Christian privilege debunked.
« on: April 04, 2018, 12:55:17 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZL9sm1WU3s

I don't agree with everything he says, but overall, it's a valid fisking. I'm so relieved to know that I'm really not all that privileged. 'Cuz then I'd have to apologize for it, and compensate for it. (OK, no, I wouldn't do that, anyway.  :lol: )

I was going to say something like, "Can you imagine the charges of anti-semitism if they had a seminar on Jewish privilege?!" But I guess the Left has been complaining about that for a long time. Try pointing out any Muslim privilege that may or may not exist, and you're a racist.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
Re: Christian privilege debunked.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 01:30:24 PM »
Jewish privilege?  Like an average IQ of 115?

I'd love to see the social justice warriors raging about the intelligence privileged.

"#$@ you for being smarter than me!"  

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »
You'd see a lot of them demanding to be instantly converted to Judaism so they could share in that sweet, sweet IQ.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 02:03:38 PM »
One more way idiots are trying to sign up for victimhood. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »
https://everydayfeminism.com/2016/01/believing-christian-privilege/
Google found this.  It appears to be the same 15 examples of Christian Privilege he was referring to in the video.  I scanned through the 15 things, but I didn't read the explanations.  

IMO, nearly all of these should have "..in the US" after them as most of this can only be imagined if you live here or in a strong majority Christian nation.  I also get the impression they are written by someone who is not a member of a different religion but thinks that is what they would say.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 02:28:32 PM »
By "Jewish privilege" I refer to the usual complaints about how the Jews run Hollywood, or control the banks, or whatever it is. Not entirely the province of the Left, but there's plenty of Joo-phobia going on there.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 02:42:20 PM »
Jewish privilege?  Like an average IQ of 115?

I'd love to see the social justice warriors raging about the intelligence privileged.

"#$@ you for being smarter than me!"  

They do. People who are smarter are only smarter because of an accident of their birth. (Whether we're talking nature or nurture, it's an "accident of birth")

Therefore, it's not fair that smarter people generally fare better in life and ought to be taxed to make things "equitable".
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 03:34:33 PM »
https://everydayfeminism.com/2016/01/believing-christian-privilege/
Google found this.  It appears to be the same 15 examples of Christian Privilege he was referring to in the video.  I scanned through the 15 things, but I didn't read the explanations.    

I read it.  First of all, she's pretty clearly writing from the point of view of Muslims and maybe Jews when she says "other Religions".  There are a lot of other "Other Religions"  that don't have the issues she's blaming on Privilege.  Which would imply to me while the privilege might exist, it's not "Christian". 

She starts with:

Americans often cite “freedom of religion” as a reason to be proud of our country. But the truth is, only Christians are free to practice their faith openly – and everyone else is systematically oppressed for doing so.
  Which almost made me stop right there.  That's just not a true statement.  I'm sure somewhere in America someone is being religiously oppressed somehow, but "Everyone Else" isn't.

Of the 15 points, some are valid.  Some are not, or are stretched to try for validity.  I'd still rather live in America as a Non-Christian than in many other places as a minority religion. 

As an aside, I'm beyond sick and tired of the "You aren't a bad person, you just do bad things because of privilege" condescension that SJW love to use. It makes me want to knock their privileged little teeth out.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 04:56:51 PM »
I agree on the Muslim POV, but I got the impression the author wasn't Muslim, just talking based on some perception they have. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 05:22:13 PM »
That was the impression I got as well.

She claims some undetermined form of Feminist Christianity.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 09:28:39 PM »
http://daily-iowan.com/2017/07/25/williams-what-is-privilege-and-what-do-we-do-with-it/ An article last year about cognitive privilege that sparked a pretty large response by many.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 09:51:26 PM »
Priveledged? I'm pretty sure I'm not.
I'm white but I've  never recieved free or subsidized health care, college tuition, housing, or food stamps etc. I've basically paid my way for everything and anything I might have recieved. I've paid a crapload of taxes along the way so that some folks can have a piece of the same pie without having to work as hard for it as I did.
So if anybody thinks I still owe something to somebody, then they can just F off.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 12:08:48 AM »
Priveledged? I'm pretty sure I'm not.
I'm white but I've  never recieved free or subsidized health care, college tuition, housing, or food stamps etc. I've basically paid my way for everything and anything I might have recieved. I've paid a crapload of taxes along the way so that some folks can have a piece of the same pie without having to work as hard for it as I did.
So if anybody thinks I still owe something to somebody, then they can just F off.

If you say you have no privilege, it just proves you're part of the conspiracy privileged.  [tinfoil]