Author Topic: EMT Response at Parkland, Florida  (Read 638 times)

MechAg94

• friend
EMT Response at Parkland, Florida
« on: April 05, 2018, 05:25:48 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/26/florida-emergency-medical-teams-frustrated-over-delay-in-parkland-school-shooting-response.html
https://www.ems1.com/mass-casualty-incidents-mci/articles/376533048-Fla-EMS-agencies-said-they-were-delayed-in-school-shooting-response/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5439037/EMS-teams-STOPPED-entering-Florida-school.html
The three links appear to say basically the same thing.  The last one contains a boiler plate quote saying the investigation is ongoing and they cannot comment or something like that.  One more issue to add to all the things that still need answers after Florida.  

It sounds like the EMT's expected to go in the building right behind the cops and that didn't happen.  I wasn't quite sure exactly when they were told to wait.  Was that right after the cops didn't go in or a few minutes later.  I don't think I ever heard about how long it took before police finally entered or when EMT's entered after that. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/02/26/how-a-paramedics-split-second-decision-may-have-saved-a-parkland-students-life/?utm_term=.c23a6418d74f
This is a separate story.  Can one of the resident EMT's explain what this is talking about.  Why did the girl's age make a difference in the hospital she went to?  I must have missed something or didn't read far enough.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
Re: EMT Response at Parkland, Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 05:28:44 PM »
One other question relates to all the pictures shown of the kids walking out of the building in line with their hands up.  Weren't they checked before they were allowed out of the building?  Were cops going to shoot them if they didn't have their hands up?  It just seemed odd to me.  I saw similar situation with the youtube shooting.  A bunch of people walking out of the building with their hands up.  I assume that is some sort of procedure, I just don't see the point.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 05:53:42 PM »
One other question relates to all the pictures shown of the kids walking out of the building in line with their hands up.  Weren't they checked before they were allowed out of the building?  
Probably not.
Were cops going to shoot them if they didn't have their hands up?
Could be, yes.  At that stage the shooter may well have blended in with a group of students who didn't see him shooting.  Which is exactly what happened at Parkland (although he was unarmed at that time).
 It just seemed odd to me.  I saw similar situation with the youtube shooting.  A bunch of people walking out of the building with their hands up.  I assume that is some sort of procedure, I just don't see the point.  
The guys clearing rooms don't have time to search each person, patch the wounded, and conduct a full debriefing.  Their job is to shoot the bad guy a whole lot and as quickly as possible.  To save time, they (or more likely the next guys in) will herd the masses out to be "washed".  Outside (ideally speaking) will be cops who will process each kid looking for guns and injuries and sort them properly.  If it's a scenario with a limited number of hostages where there is a known good guy with knowledge of the situation (such as the bus driver in a bus takedown) they'll park that known good guy out front with the washers to point out the bad guy or anyone who doesn't belong.

Until the washing, everyone is told to keep their hands up (or on the shoulders of the person in front of them).  If that's you, you definitely should do that too.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 06:16:32 PM »

Can one of the resident EMT's explain what this is talking about.  Why did the girl's age make a difference in the hospital she went to?  I must have missed something or didn't read far enough.

Well, I am not one of them, wait I did have a EMT license in NV about 100 years ago so maybe I am.

Broward has a Pediatric Trauma Center and I would guess they have protocols in place to transport pediatric traumas there. By not following that particular protocol they were able to get her to definitive care much faster, which probably saved her life. They don't like dumping pediatric patients on hospitals that don't normally treat them, especially traumas because as much as a lot of people would like to believe a pediatric patient is not a small adult when it comes to care. It is always better to take them to a dedicated Peds facility if possible.

My take anyhow. YMMV

bob