Author Topic: Open Carry Dress Codes  (Read 2241 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Open Carry Dress Codes
« on: April 07, 2018, 04:52:41 PM »
Can we please institute a dress code for open carry rallies? If it's not dusters, or slobs with stupid slogan t-shirts, it's battle rattle.

I don't want to be telling people what to wear, but can we please try and put our best feet forward when the whole point is trying to show people that we are everyday, regular Joe, responsible citizens? The people that hold these rallies should know by now that the media will go straight to the 450lb guy dressed for patrolling outside the FOB wire.

https://twitchy.com/bethb-313034/2018/04/07/developing-open-carry-activists-hold-a-rally-demanding-the-local-police-chief-be-fired-for-these-actions/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Open Carry Dress Codes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 05:18:29 PM »
A lot of those people were dressed normally, but you are right. The slobs and the tacticool ninja's generally get more attention then they deserve.

*sigh* a guy dressed in business casual with a classy .45 in nice leather does a lot more for us than flak jackets, molle straps and M4gery.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 05:36:36 PM »
A lot of those people were dressed normally, but you are right. The slobs and the tacticool ninja's generally get more attention then they deserve.

*sigh* a guy dressed in business casual with a classy .45 in nice leather does a lot more for us than flak jackets, molle straps and M4gery.

Even clean jeans and a t-shirt would be fine. I don't know why people have to show up dressed like an extra from The Matrix or 13 Hours.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 05:45:54 PM »
Did you notice the dog with the MOLLE vest? Nice touch.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 07:01:20 PM »
That's our big tent problem. We have idiots in the tent and can't kick them out until they do something dumb. I went to one in the state capitol, the one that bugged me we the anon masks. Just go back to you basement.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 07:04:16 PM »
A tactical kilt! I liked the cop bait, although the fisherman looks to have been in the bait box.
AKA Navy Joe   

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Open Carry Dress Codes
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 08:13:43 PM »
I did.

Ah.....'murica.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 08:43:33 PM »
Can we please institute a dress code for open carry rallies? If it's not dusters, or slobs with stupid slogan t-shirts, it's battle rattle.

Trouble around here is that the guy who dresses like a Sam Elliott cowboy with a Blackhawk on his hip, probably dressed that way long before open carry, and just picked the gun that matches his wardrobe.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 10:41:40 PM »
Trouble around here is that the guy who dresses like a Sam Elliott cowboy with a Blackhawk on his hip, probably dressed that way long before open carry, and just picked the gun that matches his wardrobe.

The duster comment was specifically this guy:

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 10:18:01 AM »
I agree.  Polo and khakis or at worst a clean t-shirt and nice jeans (no holes or stains).   As Tam says, most of these Tactical Teds are carrying AT people, not going to win hearts and minds that way.  In fact, just the opposite.  Dress like a normal human and we'll get more acceptance. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 10:55:36 AM »
That photo of Duster Boy was taken in the Washington state legislative chambers, and we have him to thank for some of the recent restrictive legislation here.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 11:17:16 AM »
That photo of Duster Boy was taken in the Washington state legislative chambers, and we have him to thank for some of the recent restrictive legislation here.

It wasn't just him, it was also his friends in the Senate Gallery. Because of them there is no longer open carry in the Gallery in WA State. That group during that "protest" set back gun rights a few years. Up until then when having rallies at the Capitol went very well.

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/kplu/files/styles/x_large/public/201501/AP949884930114.jpg

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 11:30:30 AM »
Referencing the duster boy (and other pics), it's not even just the costume-like apparel some people wear, but how they carry their firearms.

I don't know Duster Boy. Maybe he thought he was being safe and following the four rules. However, I always try to look at this stuff from the side of the people we are trying to persuade. If I want to convince people who know nothing about guns that they have nothing to fear, do I really want to walk around with firearms in a "ready" position, or even in a way that looks like I'm in a "ready" position?

A lot of these people walk around like they are in Condition Orange. If I'm already leery of guns in general, the appearance of "shooter ready" doesn't make me sympathetic.

I know that in some places, open carry demonstrations have to be done with long guns, because you can't do so with pistols (still the case in Texas?). However, the best "advertising" for open carry to me is the person who walks into the McDonalds with an open carry holstered pistol (and not holstered in a thigh rig) to order the #3, eats his or her lunch, and walks out, just like any other person - no muss, no fuss. The gun is no different than a cell phone in a belt holster.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 11:32:21 AM »
Long gun at the low ready like that. If you are standing still I assume you are a guard doing guard things. Advancing through a door? How long do I get to decide on threat or *expletive deleted*bag activist? Slings, people, use them. I may go to the next state capitol rally with a long gun, but in general I think long guns get taken for a walk when it is time to use them.
AKA Navy Joe   

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 11:45:17 AM »
Duster boy (Anthony Bosworth) also came to Spokane to protest at the Federal Courthouse, because of that a Federal judge issued an order that guns were no longer allowed on the plaza of the courthouse. They extended the restriction from inside the building all the way to the sidewalk. Luckily that order was rescinded a month later but none the less his actions led to the curtailment of gun rights in two different cities. That's not how it works!

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2018, 01:15:12 PM »
AKA Navy Joe   

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2018, 01:21:15 PM »
As long as they don't Yiff in public, I'm cool with it.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2018, 01:28:49 PM »
Huh.  Until this very moment, I had no idea there was such a thing as Nazi furries.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2018, 01:45:31 PM »
Ya can learn a lot here!

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 02:55:37 PM »
https://www.yakimaherald.com/news/crime_and_courts/bail-set-for-former-sheriff-s-candidate-anthony-bosworth-in/article_f3a91426-0cb1-11e6-8440-af6e3a35c8f8.html

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/former-yakima-county-sheriff-candidate-charged-with-assault/

https://www.inlander.com/Bloglander/archives/2016/09/12/rep-matt-shea-presents-oregon-standoff-figure-bosworth-with-2016-patriot-of-the-year-award

Mr. Bosworth calls himself a patriot, is a member of the Three Percent Militia, and assaults 17 year old women. I would be just as happy if he did not represent me as a gun owner.

From the Seattle Times link where he is described assaulting his daughter:

His daughter reported she was able to take one of her father’s pistols away from him during the assault, police said.

:facepalm:  Gotta work on that open carry retention.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 10:17:08 PM »
As long as they don't Yiff in public, I'm cool with it.

Not knowing what yiffing is, pretty sure from context, unwilling to damage my search history enough to confirm.
AKA Navy Joe   

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 08:51:20 AM »
Not knowing what yiffing is, pretty sure from context, unwilling to damage my search history enough to confirm.

If you do wind up feeling adventurous, do NOT make it an image search!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 11:44:17 AM »
Yiff y'all if ya don't accept the furry lifestyle!

MOLON LABE!

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 12:32:09 PM »

Seeing the behavioral health dog trotting out to the helicopter pad in an ACU vest, ear muffs, and doggy eye pro was the best thing that dog did for my morale the whole deployment.