Author Topic: When You Ban...  (Read 5105 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
When You Ban...
« on: April 09, 2018, 07:41:07 PM »
...Guns, then you ban knives, you get this:

No confiscation of cricket bats yet. Maybe they need to be locked up at the clubhouse.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/04/09/omg-take-a-look-at-these-weapons-found-by-british-police-during-a-sweep/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

JN01

• friend
Re: When You Ban...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:25:42 PM »
Once the Brits have been relieved of all their pointy/sharp objects, will the Bobbies respond to a citizens home when he needs a package opened by a responsible adult with a tool?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 08:56:55 PM »
When pliers are outlawed, only outlaws will have pliers.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 09:12:03 PM »
Didn't they also ban glass beer mugs at the pubs?  Apparently, since scissors, awls, and screwdrivers weren't readily available in pubs, they resorted to broken beer mugs in their bar pub fights.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.

RADIUS EVERYTHING !
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:24:33 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 09:13:54 PM »
When pliers are outlawed, only outlaws will have pliers.

I thought the "purple nurple" comment was apt. :)
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 11:09:01 PM »
Safer knives for Crown subjects? A Brit inventor got a patent for a blunt kitchen knife that wouldn't work very well for stabbing. Wonder how long until they're mandated . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 12:03:03 AM »
I was shocked, shocked I say, to find out that London's murder rate bypassed New York's recently, despite the strict gun and knife control.  ;/
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 02:41:12 AM »
A QUESTION OF DEGREE

Don't ever forget.

Whatever logic and method they used in 1934 to "constitutionally" make machineguns, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, destructive devices, etc, inaccessible to thee and me,  they can use to effectively ban single-shot .22 rifles chambered in .22 short standard velocity.

It's just a question of degree.

Sorry about pointing that out, folks.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 07:00:09 AM »
You know that sooner or later we'll have to figure out how to build houses with these:

Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 09:03:23 AM »
Apparently, according to the major of London, "There is never a reason to carry a knife".

Huh.  Guess I've been doing it wrong all these years carrying my pocket knife.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: When You Ban...
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 09:14:43 AM »
Apparently, according to the major of London, "There is never a reason to carry a knife".

Huh.  Guess I've been doing it wrong all these years carrying my pocket knife.
Of course, the Mayor is surrounded by people with knives that will protect him from unopened packages and tough steaks. But what about the commoners?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 09:52:01 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 10:02:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07T5rVqj9Zk

I have watched a lot of this guy's videos on swords and such.  He talks about it a little as the new law would ban shipping knives through the mail.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 10:54:04 AM »
You know that sooner or later we'll have to figure out how to build houses with these:

Don't worry.  By the time we will be using those, our houses will be made of playdough. [tinfoil] :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 12:18:40 PM »
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 09:31:32 PM »
And again, NOT The Onion. Actual UK police dept talking about garden implements "in the wrong hands".

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/04/10/wow-british-police-show-off-more-safety-hazards-caught-up-in-knife-crime-weapon-sweep/

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 11:14:47 PM »
Isn't gardening Britain's national pastime?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 11:17:01 PM »
Isn't gardening Britain's national pastime?

Well,  it used to be ......  ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 11:44:46 PM »
I like the quote attributed to Mattis:
Always carry a knife with you. Just in case there's cheesecake, or you need to stab someone in the throat.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 01:41:28 AM »
I always have three knives on me. I really like cheesecake.

Jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 08:14:31 AM »
The Metropolitan Police launched “Operation Sceptre” in 2015 to combat knife crime, and in March, the Regents Park Police tweeted a photo of items found and safely disposed of during an Operation Sceptre weapon sweep. The photo was picked up an went viral Monday in light of England’s reinvigorated push against knife attacks.

Three years of Operation Sceptre and the end result is a murder rate higher than NYC's.   :facepalm:

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 11:05:08 AM »
Safer knives for Crown subjects? A Brit inventor got a patent for a blunt kitchen knife that wouldn't work very well for stabbing. Wonder how long until they're mandated . . .

I think they don't understand how with enough force anything can be turned into a stabbing weapon (well nearly anything, cooked spaghetti would be tough to use). That knife would need at least a 3 inch cross section at the tip to make it too much work to use as a stabber, but then it would be a club and capable of blunt force trauma. Those Brits are on a path to ruin they are! . ;)

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 11:22:45 AM »
At the risk of pointing out the obvious:

Prisoners in jail routinely make stabbing weapons out of furniture and toothbrushes. Humans in the wild have been making stabby things with sticks and a little fire for .... as long as we've been around.  Trying to actually ban sharp implements from society is folly. 

You have to wonder what they're trying to distract Londoners from.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 11:30:31 AM »
I'm no street fighter, but I kinda think if someone came at me with a knife, and I was given the choice between a knife for defense, and a long blunt object like a baseball bat, I'd take the bat.

Honestly, that Babylon Bee joke cuts straight to the chase. Forget about every single tool a hand can hold and just cut off the hand. Otherwise every tool can be an improvised weapon.