Author Topic: Has anyone here used aliexpress.com?  (Read 1111 times)

Pb

• friend
Has anyone here used aliexpress.com?
« on: April 23, 2018, 02:05:02 PM »
Has anyone here used aliexpress.com?

Looking at ordering something, but am reluctant.  The seller has no feedback.  I have never used this site before.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Has anyone here used aliexpress.com?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 02:13:37 PM »
I haven't used it, but I've heard a lot of knife nerds are using it for Chinese-made knives. I don't know how much that helps you...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 02:23:26 PM »
I bought a DRO from them earlier in the year.  No issues, and the shipping was actually faster than expected.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 02:25:32 PM »
Yes, just ordered something from there today.  I had a shipping issue once, but the was due to China Post and not Aliexpress, other than that no issues.  I do use a burner credit card, just because I can.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 07:22:32 PM »
Used it twice one time got wrong part return was no problem.

Jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 09:55:56 AM »
How do you all pay for things on aliexpress?  It looks like paypal isn't an option.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 09:59:45 AM »
How do you all pay for things on aliexpress?  It looks like paypal isn't an option.

With cash, naturally.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 10:48:09 AM »
I've used them, though my default it to go through ebay for items drop shipped out of china.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 11:35:08 AM »
How do you all pay for things on aliexpress?  It looks like paypal isn't an option.

http://www.privacy.com  Linked to your bank account and you can create a burner/one time use Visa card.  Do it all the time.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 01:13:20 PM »

Credit Card.  You are, in a lot of cases, ordering factory direct from a factory in China.  Those guys aren't stealing that many card numbers.  It's waiters, gas stations and Target here in the states that lift card numbers all the time.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 01:34:22 PM »
Is aliexpress kinda like dx.com?  Cheap Chinese stuff that works surprisingly well if you discount the rated specs by about 60%.
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 03:59:21 PM »
Credit Card.  You are, in a lot of cases, ordering factory direct from a factory in China.  Those guys aren't stealing that many card numbers.  It's waiters, gas stations and Target here in the states that lift card numbers all the time.
If they want your card info they'll buy it on aliexpress.com.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 09:05:06 PM »
I've never done aliexpress but I've done alibaba a couple of times.

One was to buy about 200lbs of snap-off razor knives.  That went well but I got surprised a bit on the shipping charges.  It was still the best deal we ever got on knives like that.

Another one was buying poly-woven nylon sacks for bagging corn.  I got a great quote from one company for 10,000 of them but the deal fell through when they said I had to order 10k of _each kind_ required to fill a 20ft long shipping container before they'd send them.  That would have been about 80,000 bags and I did not need that many.  The next company took the job for only half a penny more per bag and zipped them right out after we made sure we were both clear on specs (holds 50lbs/23kg of corn) and when the run completed they informed me they were ready for pick up.  In China.  After a series of emails returned at 12 hour intervals with somebody that doesn't really speak English I get hooked up with another person in China that'll get them on a boat for me if I Western Union them the money which I ended up doing on my personal credit card because my business card (sanely) declined to Western Union money to somebody in China with an address that read roughly "Second street to the east of Bandowang & 127th St. third building second floor Mandowango Enterprises."  But I got them on the boat.  Then I had to scurry and hire a lawyer to file the proper paperwork before they landed so I'd be clear with Customs.  So, yeah, if you think Western Unioning money to a random guy in China is bad I also had to hire a lawyer from New Jersey.  Also the bags tear once you get 40lbs of corn in them. 

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 10:22:22 PM »
Aliexpress is like alibaba, but in quantities that make sense for a single person. Generally, it's best to stick to the sellers that have been on for a while and have ratings. If you're ordering a single thing and are willing to gamble on a newer seller, that's fine. But treat it as a gamble rather than a purchase.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk