Author Topic: Woman Partially Sucked Out of Jet When Window Breaks Mid-Flight  (Read 11143 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Woman Partially Sucked Out of Jet When Window Breaks Mid-Flight
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2018, 01:40:33 AM »
And now for something completely different: some information from an actual 737 pilot.  Unfortunately, he didn't have a doctor, millennial snowflake or any other sort of person available to speculate, but he does the best he can with just his thousands of hours of experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzkfYj6SBxo

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2018, 03:55:53 AM »
Other than the need to get folks down to a better breathing altitude RFN, a window-sized hole shouldn't make a lot of difference to the pilot.  Losing an engine is pretty heavily covered in multi-engine training, and I'd assume each stage of training thereafter.  Plus, I suspect a 737 would have to be on the verge of coming apart at every seam before it could get as sporty as a F-18 would be in normal flight.

There was some damage to the leading edge of the wing, too. And I'm sure the jagged remains of the #1 engine weren't especially aerodynamic.

Normal approach speed for the 737-700 is 170 knots, landing speed is about 135 knots. The ATC audio included the pilot at one point saying she was at 210 knots for controllability.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2018, 05:19:07 AM »
Amy Schumer remarked, Reply #40,

"It looks more like something(s) hit the nacelle..."

I wondered about that, too and thought maybe the nacelle/shrouding wasn't properly fastened and came loose in flight.  Pictures from the right side of the plane seem to show "something" sticking up from the engine after the plane came to rest.  I didn't see that in other pictures from the left side of the plane.

Terry
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:34:21 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2018, 08:56:23 AM »
And now for something completely different: some information from an actual 737 pilot.  Unfortunately, he didn't have a doctor, millennial snowflake or any other sort of person available to speculate, but he does the best he can with just his thousands of hours of experience.

But he's a white male - how can we trust anything he says?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2018, 09:39:12 AM »

Thanks.  That was actually very informative. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2018, 10:29:52 AM »
Amy Schumer remarked, Reply #40,

"It looks more like something(s) hit the nacelle..."

I wondered about that, too and thought maybe the nacelle/shrouding wasn't properly fastened and came loose in flight.  Pictures from the right side of the plane seem to show "something" sticking up from the engine after the plane came to rest.  I didn't see that in other pictures from the left side of the plane.

Terry

That is the passenger boarding door.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2018, 12:05:33 PM »
There was some damage to the leading edge of the wing, too. And I'm sure the jagged remains of the #1 engine weren't especially aerodynamic.

I'd bet the bits still mostly attached but flopping around were shaking things up a bit, but still a far cry from a supersonic fighter.  Leading edge damage doesn't look like much, but then I'm comparing mostly to smaller GA aircraft (including crop dusters that sometimes looked like they were trying to beat A-10s for the "least intact aircraft brought home" award) that I've seen come in damaged; not sure how much more sensitive the 737 is to that.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2018, 04:09:36 PM »
That is the passenger boarding door.

Ah!  Thanks.  It all hangs together now in that blurry picture.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2018, 10:46:09 PM »
So...ATC asked her "Is your airplane physically on fire?"

Uh, what other kind of on fire can an airplane be?

"Nah, it just found Jesus and it's on fire with the Spirit, now can I get a vector to a lake big enough to baptize it?"

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2018, 12:07:02 AM »
That would be a higher plane of existence.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2018, 02:41:43 AM »
Another damn pilot with more technical information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKLcOgvgCcU

It's so hard to find good sources on this, like high school students, politicians and journalists with in-depth technical explanations.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2018, 05:31:41 AM »
So...ATC asked her "Is your airplane physically on fire?"

Uh, what other kind of on fire can an airplane be?

"Nah, it just found Jesus and it's on fire with the Spirit, now can I get a vector to a lake big enough to baptize it?"

Yeah dipshit it's actually important.  Did you have a fire or are you *expletive deleted*ing on fire?
Not that I'd know anything about handling an aircraft emergency.
Haven't had any this week though. Just two medical emergencies.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2018, 06:40:05 AM »
Another damn pilot with more technical information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKLcOgvgCcU

It's so hard to find good sources on this, like high school students, politicians and journalists with in-depth technical explanations.

BORING!

Too many facts. We need more images of the aircraft taken from 75 miles away with telephoto lenses so we can really know what happened.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2018, 07:55:09 AM »
Yeah dipshit it's actually important.

Lighten up, Francis.  

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2018, 11:37:22 AM »
Yeah dipshit it's actually important.  Did you have a fire or are you *expletive deleted*ing on fire?

So, is it FAA or ICAO that publishes the thesaurus where "physically" is now a synonym for "currently," rather than a completely unrelated word?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2018, 03:21:34 PM »
So, is it FAA or ICAO that publishes the thesaurus where "physically" is now a synonym for "currently," rather than a completely unrelated word?

Both have guidelines for using plain language in place of standardized verbiage and I'm not faulting the controller for not using a synonym that meets your standards but still got the point across in a high pressure situation.  
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2018, 05:49:40 PM »
Both have guidelines for using plain language in place of standardized verbiage and I'm not faulting the controller for not using a synonym that meets your standards but still got the point across in a high pressure situation.  
[British Accent] If he does not use the Oxford comma, I simply will not reply.  We shant encourage barbaric language you know.  [\British Accent]
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2018, 07:28:18 PM »
Hey, somewhere along the line someone got runway two-sumpin'-sumpin' left mixed up with two sumpin'-sumpin' right.  We could rag on that until Reply # 134.

The guy perhaps screwed up a little on the precise word under pressure.  He should go stand in the corner for fifteen minutes and that should end it.  All right, children, nappie time.  Heads down on your desks on folded arms.

Jeeze, you guys.  A woman got killed when an engine broke and something hit her window.

Jeeze, you guys.  Choose seconds and weapons and meet at the agreed-upon place and time, already.

Jeeze, you guys.

Terry

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:50:42 PM by 230RN »

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2018, 12:05:41 AM »
Hey, somewhere along the line someone got runway two-sumpin'-sumpin' left mixed up with two sumpin'-sumpin' right.

Actually, I was sort of surprised they cared L or R; they knew full well they'd be shutting the place down as soon as she got there, and every engine out emergency response I've heard was "wind is x, you tell us where you're going and we'll send the trucks there."

Looking at the satellite view, I see a few good reasons for 27L now; 27R is right by the passenger terminals, where as 27L is conveniently located by the fire station and the river, with nothing except cargo traffic having any reason to cross it.  Plus, with a left engine out, there's a fair chance complete loss of control would send the plane into NJ, where it won't matter so much.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2018, 12:43:10 AM »
And where she parked was almost at the end -- she was right at the entrance to/exit ramp from the deicing pad.

I'm still wondering where they towed the plane when they moved it. There don't seem to be any hangers at PHL large enough to handle even a 737.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2018, 01:51:18 AM »
I think one of the interesting things is that while there's a lot of damage on the engine (obviously) and leading edge of the wing (expected) I find it interesting that it appears the only damage on the fuselage was that *one* window.  It's kinda hard not to see that and think, "Man - talk about God saying, 'Your time is up!'"
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2018, 07:32:47 AM »
The fatally injured woman's cause of death:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/29619/medical-examiner-reveals-cause-death-woman-joseph-curl

“The top half of her torso was out the window,” Max Kraidelman told The New York Times. “There was a lot of blood because she was hit by some of the shrapnel coming off the engine after it exploded.”

=( =( =(
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2018, 08:42:56 AM »
Actually, I was sort of surprised they cared L or R; they knew full well they'd be shutting the place down as soon as she got there, and every engine out emergency response I've heard was "wind is x, you tell us where you're going and we'll send the trucks there."

Looking at the satellite view, I see a few good reasons for 27L now; 27R is right by the passenger terminals, where as 27L is conveniently located by the fire station and the river, with nothing except cargo traffic having any reason to cross it.  Plus, with a left engine out, there's a fair chance complete loss of control would send the plane into NJ, where it won't matter so much.

Yup if we can put an a/c on a specific runway we usually try to do so as far away from the other airport stuff.  IAD has triples, 01L/19R is the preferred spot for emergencies if there's a concern for fire or if they'll shut the runway down.

My last one had an oil pressure issue and wanted 01R, and I had a 5 arrivals behind him.  They taxied clear just fine but airport ops wanted a look at the runway so I had to move 2 over to 01C.  Where I already had a couple arrivals.
JD

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2018, 09:08:47 AM »
From a pilot perspective, we generally want the longest available runway that points into the wind.  In PHL, runway 27L is the longest and it was into the wind on that day.

If the emergency aircraft and emergency equipment aren't interfering with normal operations, then the airport will continue to allow aircraft to arrive and depart.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2018, 09:53:51 AM »

If the emergency aircraft and emergency equipment aren't interfering with normal operations, then the airport will continue to allow aircraft to arrive and depart.

The end of 27L is well to the west of 27R, and she parked in the taxiway, almost into the ramp to/from the deicing pad. 27R should have been clear, but they shut down the airport for three hours. Anybody know why they couldn't have kept flying on 27R?