Author Topic: What's your best brisket recipe?  (Read 3439 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
What's your best brisket recipe?
« on: April 21, 2018, 02:57:54 PM »
Brisket is on sale. Thinking of getting one. Thinking slow cooker.

Just not sure whether I want to go BBQ, Asian, or other.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: What's your best brisket recipe?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 04:36:41 PM »
I haven't bought a brisket in years because they price them around here like steaks (good steaks.)  I'm not about to pay $50 for a whole untrimmed brisket.  I almost bought a couple when I was in Houston last month and brought them back; one to cook and one to freeze.

Anyway, I didn't think brisket used a recipe.  ;/ You just cook it slowly by whatever method until all the gristle turns to gelatin and some of the fat melts away.  A slow cooker would be good if it's large enough and has a rack.
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 08:19:31 PM »
So many possibilities.....

Smoked

Corned

Pastrami

You gotta narrow it down some.  ;)

Or are you talking the injected, packaged stuff they sell around St. Patrick's day?

bob

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 09:32:54 PM »
I prefer to smoke them but I have done a bunch in the slow cooker when I don't have time to tend a fire all day long.

I go simple with salt and pepper, dried diced onion (Amish market has big containers of dried things cheap.) some beef stock and Worcester sauce. Cook until fork goes through easy.

Jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 09:39:08 PM »
And the rest.   After you cook the thing for however long is dictated by it's weight,  wrap it up in a towel and foil and leave it in a cooler for an hour.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 11:30:37 PM »
Trim fat, remove silver skin. Rub with brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, cracked black pepper, and (light) rock salt. Smoke 12 hours over slow hickory. Last hour so, coat with BBQ sauce.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 06:50:06 AM »
Well, as I said, I'm thinking slow cooker, so the recipe would be the accompanying sauce. I don't have time or the proper device really to smoke it, although I could make do with my weber kettle.

I didn't get to the store last night, so I'll have to go this morning if I want to do one today. We'll see.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 10:36:10 AM »
No brisket. Store had zero...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BobR

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 11:14:47 AM »
With the price beef has been the last few years I have noticed when there is a decent sale on large cuts they don't last too long at the commissary I shop at. The last decent deal I got was a brisket flat so I halved it and made two corned beefs. I will be cooking one today. One thing this commissary does is sell choice cuts instead of select cuts so I will often pay about the same price for choice beef as I would for select cuts out in town. :)

bob

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 07:38:06 PM »
Cut brisket into very large chunks and add to pot with strips of mild chilis, pick your favorite type and amount can be to your preference, with some onion garlic salt and pepper. Add just enough water to cover and stew until you can shred the brisket. Peppers and onions should basically have dissolved at this point. Add some water as and if needed. Result shouldn't be super soupy but should definitely be wet. Also good with Chuck, basically any cut with a reasonably similar fat amount and that will shred nicely. To lean or work shred well just doesn't yeild the right texture.

Scoop over cooked white rice and enjoy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 11:31:02 AM »
I prefer to smoke it in the pit barrel at 225. Trim most of the fat but leave 1/8" on the top. Dry rub and hang in the smoker over charcoal with some hickory to 160 degrees, remove and double wrap in heavy foil and add 1/4 apple cider, return to rack in smoker until meat reaches 190-200. Leave wrapped in foil and wrap in a clean old blanket or bath towels and place in a cooler for 1.5-2 hours.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 12:47:48 PM »
I asked the butcher at a local Pick and Save for brisket last summer.
He asked me what I wanted it for.
Told him I wanted it for BBQ.
He told me they usually don't have much on hand, and when they do, its around $12/lb.
He recommended cutting a chuck roast to whatever size I wanted- much better cut of meat for around $4/lb. He said the BBQ craze is what pushed the price on a cheap piece of meat so high.
I ended up with a 7lb chuck roast, BBQ'd it low and slow, and it turned out excellent.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 01:21:56 PM »
Oh hell yeah BBQ has driven up the price of previous "scrap" meat.

I remember in the mid 1970s when the price of T bone was about $1.89 a pound (equivalent to $9 a pound today) brisket could be had for as little as 29 cents a pound (about $1.39 today).

My Mom used to occasionally get one and cut a pocket in it and stuff it and roast it pretty much most of the day.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 01:25:36 PM »
Yeeeep. Off cuts have become trendy. Hell, remember what you could get chicken wings for once upon a time? Or oxtails? Now they're damn near the price of premium cuts, probably more if you factor in and compare actual amount of edible food on them.

As for chuck, it makes a mighty fine BBQ. Like many things one cut or another is deemed "the best". Just like steak or whatever. Doesn't mean there isn't plenty of good and viable options elsewhere on the beast.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 01:38:38 PM »
"Hell, remember what you could get chicken wings for once upon a time?"

Oh don't get me started on chicken wings!

Damned things are more expensive than chicken breast!

BobR

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 02:55:46 PM »
The number one thing that has happened in the last few years with meat that really chaps my backside is what they have done to beef ribs.

Used to be you would get the beef ribs and they would have meat on them, now they trim out between the bones to the point I wouldn't even buy them for a dog!

I now haunt a few stores that still have butchers and when they cut boneless ribeyes I will get the ribs from them (with the meat that is supposed to be there).

bob

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »
And pork butt costs more than loin.

My buddy and I have been doing what ever large piece of cow or pig we could get cheapest for years. It helps that when ever the neighbor has a cow break a leg we get first dibs.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 10:47:05 AM »
I asked the butcher at a local Pick and Save for brisket last summer.
He asked me what I wanted it for.
Told him I wanted it for BBQ.
He told me they usually don't have much on hand, and when they do, its around $12/lb.
He recommended cutting a chuck roast to whatever size I wanted- much better cut of meat for around $4/lb. He said the BBQ craze is what pushed the price on a cheap piece of meat so high.
I ended up with a 7lb chuck roast, BBQ'd it low and slow, and it turned out excellent.
Well I tried this on Saturday. I had 2 chuck roasts in the freezer so thawed them out. Had to trim a lot of fat and wound up with 4 big pieces. I smoked them on the rack instead of trying to hang them. Dry rub and 2.5 hours in the pit barrel then double wrapped in heavy duty foil with a 1/4 cup of apple cider for another hour.
It was better smoked brisket than brisket.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 12:38:06 PM »
Liberal application of salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce.
Wrap in foil, fat side up.
200 deg for 8-10 hours.
Remove from heat and let sit unopened for 30 min.
Open foil and peel off fat layer. Slice across the grain an serve.
Pour juices into a sauce pan. Thicken slightly with cornstarch and finish with a dash of heavy cream. Use for saucing.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB