Author Topic: 6.8 SPC poised for big time!?  (Read 1843 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
6.8 SPC poised for big time!?
« on: May 08, 2018, 11:34:59 AM »
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/05/08/armys-next-squad-weapon-will-fire-a-never-before-seen-ammo-combination/

Reportedly, the new SAW for the Army is being considered in 6.8 SPC.

That's exciting in a lot of ways. First, I'll be happy the military is finally getting an improved caliber.

Second, the popularity and availability of 6.8 SPC ammo will likely skyrocket while the price out to go down.

I'm naturally a cynic, so my expectation is that the Army will once again reject the 6.8, but I still have hope.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: 6.8 SPC poised for big time!?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 11:46:40 AM »
How many times now have we heard that the military is transitioning over to the nextest, bestest cartridge?

More than I can count.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 11:59:31 AM »
Development[edit]

The 6.8mm SPC cartridge was designed to address the deficiencies of the terminal performance of the 5.56Γƒβ€”45mm NATO cartridge currently in service with the U.S. Armed Forces.

Terry tries to stifle laugh.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 11:59:46 AM »
How many times now have we heard that the military is transitioning over to the nextest, bestest cartridge?

More than I can count.

Yeah, they really screwed the pooch when they dumped the .30-40 Krag cartridge, been downhill ever since.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 12:00:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure if there are any changes, they will be based on politics, rather than practicality and usefulness.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 12:24:19 PM »
Yeah, they really screwed the pooch when they dumped the .30-40 Krag cartridge, been downhill ever since.

That pansy assed little sub caliber round? It couldn't hurt a fly!

If it ain't .50-70, it ain't *expletive deleted*it!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 01:18:20 PM »
Okay guys, I'm going to let you in on an inside scoop I have.  The Army is guaranteed to be adopting the 6.8 SPC wholesale.

Source: I bought a 6.5 Grendel a few years ago.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 02:17:40 PM »
Okay guys, I'm going to let you in on an inside scoop I have.  The Army is guaranteed to be adopting the 6.8 SPC wholesale.

Source: I bought a 6.5 Grendel a few years ago.
With a strong enough spring, you can make the SPC fit the Grendel chamber, can't you?

(With the resulting accordion pleats in the brass, case life for reloading might be a bit short.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 02:34:44 PM »

You're right.  I know because I built a .300Blk. 

I still have hope that the Army switches to 6.5CM for long range rifles.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 08:32:09 PM »
Didn't da goobermink just order 4 or 5 billion rounds of 5.56 a couple of years ago?  I seem to recall a thread on that in APS about it.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 08:35:34 PM »
The last one I heard was that some branch was adopting the 6.5 Creedmoor- which would be an even bigger deal.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 08:48:12 PM »
Well, at least that will penetrate a whole 0.010" of paper fiber at 1000 yards in a moderate wind.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:06:05 PM by 230RN »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 08:52:51 AM »
Will the .gov spend a lot of money to develop environmentally friendly "green" bullets they way they've been doing for 5.56?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 09:12:13 AM »
I have to admit, I always have to laugh when I read articles like this, with all of the breathy exhortations that this will FINALLY give our soldiers the Holy Grail of military equipment, THE ONE GUN, THE ONE AMMO, THE UNIVERSAL WEAPON SYSTEM!

The military has spent billions of dollars looking the one gun/ammo combination that will be all things and do all things.

The gun and ammo combined will be light, short, handy, low recoiling, easy to fire on automatic, AND powerful and long ranged at the same time.

Sigh.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 10:20:29 AM »
I will say I wouldn't mind 6.8 getting a nice little boost that would invite more parts and ammo availability at better prices. And 6.8 would seem well suited to keep the benefits of 5.56 while offering better punch.

But I'm also not going to hold my breath, not even a little bit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 10:59:43 AM »
I have to admit, I always have to laugh when I read articles like this, with all of the breathy exhortations that this will FINALLY give our soldiers the Holy Grail of military equipment, THE ONE GUN, THE ONE AMMO, THE UNIVERSAL WEAPON SYSTEM!

The military has spent billions of dollars looking the one gun/ammo combination that will be all things and do all things.

The gun and ammo combined will be light, short, handy, low recoiling, easy to fire on automatic, AND powerful and long ranged at the same time.

Sigh.

You forgot to include "one shot stop" in your list of qualities.  And that is where the "stifle a laugh" comment belongs IMO.  I have no issue with the military looking for more effective ammo, but that pipe dream has been around for a while and we never seem to quite get there.  Though I guess 5.56 does about as well as anything else.

I am curious about the benefits of 6.8 in a machine gun.  How much ammo capacity is available for the same weight and what is the change in effectiveness at range?  Also, is that ammo generally shipped loaded on belts so logistics would be similar?  How valuable is ammo compatibility with the other squad weapons?
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 11:31:48 AM »
They should just call it .270 Short and get it over with.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 11:33:40 AM »
"one shot stop."

That's where the powerful at long range comes in.

That's the biggest complaint about the 5.56 is that it lacks the ability to do much damage at longer ranges. Well duh.

The rational for the M16/5.56 combo was based largely on the US military experiences in World War II in that most combat was at ranges under 400 yards, where the 5.56 is still pretty effective.

But then, in the continuing quest for the HOLY UNIVERSAL WEAPON the military chopped almost 6 *expletive deleted*ing inches off the barrel length, and thus a shitpot load of velocity off the 5.56 bullet, resulting in huge hit on effective range. Still not a huge thing if your routinely engaging in combat at 400 yards or less, but then...

Gulf War I, then Gulf War II and Afghanistan where engagement ranges are often FAR past the 5.56's effective range.

Whut? You mean our HOLY UNIVERSAL WEAPON... is now LESS effective than the sandman's 7.62x39 at almost all distances? OMG!!!! We need squad designated marksmen with 7.62s!

I've never understood the military's reticence to use a blended weapons structure that would make units far more effective. That's sort of what they've got right now with the combination of 5.56 and 7.62 weapons.

But, logistics! Supply!

Yeah, it would make logistics and supply SLIGHTLY more complicated. But it would increase unit combat effectiveness significantly.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 03:15:35 PM »

Sigh.

Don't forget "environmentally conscious"
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 03:36:23 PM »
Then there was the enhanced penetration bs where an overstabilized round that didn't fragment or expand zipped right through the people it was supposed to be killing.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 07:48:40 AM »
Then there was the enhanced penetration bs where an overstabilized round that didn't fragment or expand zipped right through the people it was supposed to be killing.

Yep, that's what happens when you drop below the velocity threshold, which in current 5.56 ammo is about 2,300 fps. IIRC, that was right around 400, 500 yards with the old M2 configuration with a 20 inch barrel, with tumble ability enhanced by the slower 1:12 twist.

Chop 6 inches off the barrel, tighten the twist down to 1:7, and voila! MAJOR drop in effectiveness from the latest iteration of the Holy Universal Weapons System!

I read one complaint from a user in Afghanistan who said at ranges much over 200 meters you might as well just call in an air strike because terminal performance sucked so badly.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 12:45:53 PM »
Terry muffles mouth in a stage-whisper fashion.

Let alone the wind drift at longer range...  Of course that doesn't matter if you're just fire-hosing rounds downrange. Kentucky windage by full auto.

Terry stifles a laugh.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 12:59:51 PM by 230RN »

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2018, 02:48:17 PM »
Give everyone an M-79.

Problem solved!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2018, 10:20:28 PM »
Give everyone an M-79.

Problem solved!

Nah, Mk19.

Because *expletive deleted*ck you and everyone near you.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 09:04:05 AM »
Nah, Mk19.

MAGA.  Make America Grenade Again.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?