Author Topic: Did the FBI have a mole in the Trump campaign?  (Read 966 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Did the FBI have a mole in the Trump campaign?
« on: May 10, 2018, 11:16:11 PM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/about-that-fbi-source-1525992611

That's the WSJ link but unless you're a subscriber you can't read it, for that I'm linking to Zerohedge which I don't usually like to do but it's an important story.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-05-10/wsj-fbi-hid-mole-trump-campaign

Is this unprecedented? Does this violate any laws? I've not heard of a federal LE agency planting a mole in a campaign before.

It is certainly concerning.

How bad can this backfire on the FBI and the people who allowed this to happen or even knew about it or received information from the mole?

What would it mean if this information was going to the Clinton campaign?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Did the FBI have a mole in the Trump campaign?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 12:00:15 AM »
If it's not illegal it damned sure should be.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 08:24:18 AM »
What would it mean if this information was going to the Clinton campaign?

That Clinton's such an abominable candidate, that she can't win even when she cheats?

Oh, wait. That's no difference from now.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 09:19:21 AM »
When government agencies refer to sources, they mean people who appear to be average citizens but use their profession or contacts to spy for the agency. Ergo, we might take this to mean that the FBI secretly had a person on the payroll who used his or her non-FBI credentials to interact in some capacity with the Trump campaign.

I guess if she has a name maybe she's got more info that could make a stronger case for this being a mole but it seems like this is making a pretty big leap based off an assumption. Would they necessarily use a different word (informant?) for someone who was not planted by the FBI?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 10:28:12 AM »
I guess if she has a name maybe she's got more info that could make a stronger case for this being a mole but it seems like this is making a pretty big leap based off an assumption. Would they necessarily use a different word (informant?) for someone who was not planted by the FBI?
Is there a difference?  Playing word games doesn't make this better.  Why would the FBI be establishing an informant within a Presidential Campaign?  They knew there was no credible evidence for illegal activity, same as the using the courts to tap phones of campaign officials.  I think the likelihood that information was passed to Obama administration people and then to the Hilary campaign is pretty good.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 10:33:10 AM »
Is there a difference?  Playing word games doesn't make this better.  Why would the FBI be establishing an informant within a Presidential Campaign?  
There is a huge difference.

Let’s unpack a couple of things, starting with the “spying” allegation. Does “source” exclusively mean someone planted within an organization, or can it mean a member of an organization who decides to inform on it on their own? Strassel assumes the former, but the latter also makes sense. The difference is more than just rhetorical; it’s the difference between planting a spy and reacting to a whistleblower. If the FBI or CIA sent an agent to infiltrate an American political campaign, that would be an unconscionable intrusion into domestic electoral functioning. If, on the other hand, someone who worked on the campaign went to them and passed along information because they felt that serious wrongdoing was afoot, that’s a significantly different situation — still a bit fraught, but not the same thing as spying.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 08:56:25 PM »
I've read a lot of articles re. an FBI informant that was planted in the Trump campaign ... I think it was Carter Page who had a history of working for the FBI ...

:cool:

This author has a different opinion than most and really knows his stuff ...

Some people have called Page and/or Papadopoulos “moles”, but that’s really not what it appears they were.  The better description is “tools”.   Once Stefan Halper dirtied them up, they gave the appearance of being involved in a vast Russian conspiracy.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2018/05/11/the-insurance-policy-the-ec-the-2016-fbi-counterintel-operation-and-the-mysterious-informant-who-originated-brennans-ec/
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce