Author Topic: Yo, Oklahoma, What Up?  (Read 889 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Yo, Oklahoma, What Up?
« on: May 11, 2018, 09:25:47 PM »
Looks like the OK gov vetoed their constitutional carry bill. She's a Republican who claims to be pro-gun, so the part of the story I zoomed in on was:

The bureau of investigation, which issues handgun licenses, had said the bill would cost the agency about $4.7 million annually and result in the loss of about 60 full-time positions.

So it's all about revenue?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/05/11/oklahoma-governor-vetoes-gun-carry-bill-in-defeat-for-nra.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Yo, Oklahoma, What Up?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 10:52:55 PM »
I didn't really expect her to sign it. Just another big .gov Rino.
It does annoy me that the state permit is considered a revenue source. As originally implemented the fees were supposed to fund the permit process, not create a beuarocratic revenue source.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 11:23:58 PM »
I didn't really expect her to sign it. Just another big .gov Rino.
It does annoy me that the state permit is considered a revenue source. As originally implemented the fees were supposed to fund the permit process, not create a beuarocratic revenue source.

Yep.  I'm having some Friday whiskey too.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 11:27:09 PM »
Rum and beer. :)

Burrocratic is what I meant.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 11:38:03 PM »
Not burritocentric?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 12:34:41 AM »
Not burritocentric?

MMMmmmm...  Burritos!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 05:09:56 AM »
Supposedly she waited until the legislature session ended so they couldn't override the Veto as well. Apparently it passed with enough votes that it would have been easily overridden, but now that the session ended they have to start over or something. Or at least that is what I read somewhere.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 09:23:46 AM »

That's always the original (and proper) purpose of a fee associated with a permit or license. And governments can't seem to remember that for very long. In this case, it seems the permit process has grown to a level that requires a certain number of people to run it. If Oklahoma is like my state, the people behind the process are union members, which means if the permit is eliminated and their raison d'etre evaporates, the state can't just up and lay them off. So the permit becomes self-perpetuating, not because it serves a valid purpose but because the state has all those workers who must be retained and paid.

I'm an architect. When I first got my license in 1974, it cost $25 a year. Since there's no such thing as a national license to practice architecture, there were a LOT of architects from other states who held licenses here just in case they ever got a project here. (I did the same -- for many years I maintained active licenses in California and Maine along with my home state license.)

In the late 70s or very early 80s, the state was (as always) cash-strapped, so they raised professional licensing fees on all professions -- doctors, lawyers, architects, engineers, hairdressers ... every profession. They didn't raise the fee just a little. They didn't even "just" double it. They went from $25 a year to $150 a year. And the first thing that happened was that thousands of out-of-state professionals who were willing to pay $25 a year to keep the license "just in case" took a hard look and said, "Ya know, I've had this license for 20 years and I've never used it -- I guess I really don't need it." So all those out-of-staters -- in all the professions -- just let their licenses lapse, and the net gain for my state from the obscene e fee increase was virtually zero.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design