Author Topic: Advice for Progressives, by a Progressive  (Read 839 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Advice for Progressives, by a Progressive
« on: May 14, 2018, 12:01:00 PM »
I thought this was interesting.  A liberal professor wrote a NYT piece telling progressives that their doubling down on the smug, self-righteous stuff is not working. Something we've known all along, because even people who hate Trump hate that condescending attitude more. My guess is that the progressives will now triple down. In fact, I triple dog dare them.  =D

He of course tells them they are "right" but just not delivering the message well. Example:

It doesn’t help that our cultural mores are changing rapidly, and we rarely stop to consider this. Some liberals have gotten far out ahead of their fellow Americans but are nonetheless quick to criticize those who haven’t caught up with them.

So in many ways, he's demonstrating the same smugness that he's calling out. I still found it interesting that some of them are saying, "wait a minute..."

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2018/05/14/bingo-iowahawk-knows-exactly-how-the-resistance-will-greet-this-advice-for-defeating-trump/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/12/opinion/sunday/liberals-youre-not-as-smart-as-you-think-you-are.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Advice for Progressives, by a Progressive
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 12:06:06 PM »
In some ways I agree with the basic premise. It varies by what subject of course, but there are plenty where moving the general direction is anywhere from fine and dandy to an outright good thing. Tr problem often lies in the doubling down and running away with a good idea and going straight into loonyville. IE, rape culture/me too/etc. We sailed right past reasonable improvment to WTF.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 12:09:00 PM »
You'd think that 2016 would have been a wake up call for them on how people respond to their smug.

Fortunately, though, many of them aren't seeing it that way. They're convinced that they need to be even MORE smug, because nothing wins people over to your cause more than calling them troglodytes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 12:14:10 PM »
They are not even trying to sell their ideas to people who don't already agree.  IMO, many of them area assuming they are RIGHT and assume enough people agree and they will prevail.  Very little is done to explain why they think they are right. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 12:17:04 PM »
It doesn’t help that our cultural mores are changing rapidly, and we rarely stop to consider this. Some liberals have gotten far out ahead of their fellow Americans but are nonetheless quick to criticize those who haven’t caught up with them.

This is something that's been fascinating, and troubling to watch. Things that were acceptable, or even laudable, for decades of people's lives are now thought to be on par with the Holocaust. Things that were seen as evil for those same decades are now celebrated. And you're a terrible person if you don't "keep up" with what others decide for you. Because we now have it on good authority that the old authorities were wrong to be so authoritarian - so bake the cake, or else.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 02:05:44 PM »
This is something that's been fascinating, and troubling to watch. Things that were acceptable, or even laudable, for decades of people's lives are now thought to be on par with the Holocaust. Things that were seen as evil for those same decades are now celebrated. And you're a terrible person if you don't "keep up" with what others decide for you. Because we now have it on good authority that the old authorities were wrong to be so authoritarian - so bake the cake, or else.

I agree with everything you said, except the "fascinating" part.

It's like cultural rot is proceeding at an exponential pace now.

It's sickening.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 07:16:24 PM »
They are not even trying to sell their ideas to people who don't already agree.  IMO, many of them area assuming they are RIGHT and assume enough people agree and they will prevail.  Very little is done to explain why they think they are right. 

When you're right, you don't need to explain why. It should be obvious, to anyone with half a brain. Anyone who needs to have it explained doesn't deserve an explanation.

You deplorable troglodyte, you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design