Author Topic: Man from Huntington Beach sued for proposing 2A ban.  (Read 1091 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Man from Huntington Beach sued for proposing 2A ban.
« on: May 14, 2018, 01:15:14 AM »
http://www.newsweek.com/huntington-beach-lawsuit-gun-control-daniel-horgan-assault-weapons-ban-923580
Man from Huntington Beach went around collecting signatures in order to get a ballet up that would require “all semi-automatic and automatic guns and rifles be turned in to the City of Huntington Beach Police Department by Jan. 1, 2019.”; are rifles not guns now?
Article is poorly written. Says he did it to only gauge interest in placing it on the November ballet. But then goes on to say that he only got 600 of the 12,000 needed in order to have it places, implying that it wasn't merely to "gauge interest" but is actually a requirement to do in order to have it placed. Also says he only got the 600, far far short of the required amount, by June 2nd but it's not even June yet.
I'm surprised the City Council allowed the lawsuit to go through. I've never heard of anyone being sued for proposing something. Is this a legitimate tactic we can use?
Something I find hilarious is that he says he has become the victim of harassment, and his proof is that he found some of the petitions returned to him with such horrible things like "Eat poo snowflake" and the 2A written' on them. And one was apparently returned with BB holes in them. The horror! :rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Man from Huntington Beach sued for proposing 2A ban.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 08:58:29 AM »
...are rifles not guns now?

Not in military lore.

Says he did it to only gauge interest in placing it on the November ballet. But then goes on to say that he only got 600 of the 12,000 needed in order to have it places, implying that it wasn't merely to "gauge interest" but is actually a requirement to do in order to have it placed.

It's possible he was only trying to find out how many people would support his idea. Then again, he could be saying that to save face. If anything, he at least knows that he needs to try a different approach.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:12:51 AM »
1.  People, or cities in this case, can file suit against anyone for any reason.  That doesn't mean the lawsuit will go anywhere, though.

2.  The city is being stupid here.  They are wasting time and money on an action that didn't happen.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 05:10:05 PM »
http://www.newsweek.com/huntington-beach-lawsuit-gun-control-daniel-horgan-assault-weapons-ban-923580
Man from Huntington Beach went around collecting signatures in order to get a ballet up

Good for him.  I'm all in favor of supporting the arts.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 11:52:21 PM »
Good for him.  I'm all in favor of supporting the arts.

:laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 08:18:48 AM »
Based on what is discussed in the article I guessing he's more PITA activista than they're letting on. The city lawsuit could easily be focused on a long history of time-wasting, not just this one incident.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 11:08:23 PM »
Ah, the city isn't wasting much money, if any, on this lawsuit.  I'm sure they have a staff of attorneys on the payroll.  Might as well get them to do something for that money.  And, it is an interesting tactic by the city seeking declaratory and injunctive relief.  Plain Engllish, they are seeking to have the guy' s proposal declared unlawful/unconstitutional, and asking that he be ordered to not file petitions again.  Not something we can use as citizens in a similar manner, but it's an interesting take on the issue.

Funny that he can mail out petitions.  Around here, every signature has to be witnessed, and the person collecting the signatures must sign under oath that the signatures are legit.  Cuts down on petition fraud.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 12:27:04 PM »
Ah, the city isn't wasting much money, if any, on this lawsuit.  I'm sure they have a staff of attorneys on the payroll.  Might as well get them to do something for that money.  And, it is an interesting tactic by the city seeking declaratory and injunctive relief.  Plain Engllish, they are seeking to have the guy' s proposal declared unlawful/unconstitutional, and asking that he be ordered to not file petitions again.  Not something we can use as citizens in a similar manner, but it's an interesting take on the issue.

Funny that he can mail out petitions.  Around here, every signature has to be witnessed, and the person collecting the signatures must sign under oath that the signatures are legit.  Cuts down on petition fraud.

It is California, after all.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.