Author Topic: Tech recruiting follies.  (Read 1449 times)

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Tech recruiting follies.
« on: January 22, 2007, 09:21:08 PM »
Back in November I was contacted by an IT headhunter for a sysadmin position. I was fishing my resume around on some of the job boards to see what was out there; I had just left a decent (albeit contracted) position doing mid level tech support on a high-level operating system (Old Reliable) due to recalcitrance on the part of my contract manager to discuss the possibilities of sending any more money my way. I took a gig that paid nearly twice what I'd been doing out of spite, but left on excellent terms with the primary company.

Turns out the job I took that paid better was dull. Dull, like a sponge. Fixing stuck remote print queues and resetting locked account passwords and clearing full file systems in the middle of the night dull.

Hence, the resume fishing...and the nibble on the bait. We'll call him Ralph, with Third World Contractors Group, for purposes of discussion. Ralph emails me about his client, who I'll call Huge Predatory Company. Now HPC has a project in the works, and they've purchased about a hundred servers from the company I used to work for in support. Might be temp to perm, might be perm, who knows. No specifics on terms in the email, and to be honest, it's one of about 5 come-ons I get in any given week. 

I don't respond to the email.

A couple of days later, he calls my cellphone, as the number is on my resume, posted on the search site. Ralph gives me his pitch, sounds halfway decent, so I send him my formatted resume.  Still no mention of money, term of duration status.

A month passes. Mid December. Ralph calls; client wants to see me that week for an interview with 'the team' at Huge Predatory Company.  I arrange a time when I can drive out and meet them that does not interfere with my current obligation. Meeting goes well, for my part, although I get that odd feeling of something being amiss. Ralph follows up that afternoon- no feedback from HPC, but he'll let me know as soon as he knows something.

Forward to Late December. I take a nice offer on a more prestigious team back 'home' at Old Reliable. Start seamlessly, after giving proper notice, early in January. 

Last Friday, Ralph calls back. HPC wants to make me an offer: title, so-so money, fair benefits. That strange feeling I got from HPC comes back.  I thank him for the extension of the offer, but regretfully, I state, he's too late, that I've already accepted one that had come available in the absence of anything from TWCG and HPC.

Then it gets weird...
The phone line clicks and another party joins the call. The third party is 'HR Director at HPC', who evidently had been monitoring the conversation so far. It seems I have offended them by not jumping at the opportunity to accept the position. I explain that I've taken my current posiition and I'm quite content, and that there was no indication of a pending offer at any time until then. I thank them for their consideration and for the opportunity to interview, being that I am gracious and grateful as my Granmaw taught me to be, but that I have an obligation I must honor where I have none to them at this time.  The telephone conversation ends shortly thereafter and I follow up with a brief email to Ralph restating my flattery and appreciation, along with my regrets.

Today I received an email from Ralph in response. Names, as always and previously, are changed and/or redacted.

----
Mr. Aquaticus:

Thanks but always remember not to burn any bridges.

You were so unprofessional & unresponsive and it turned out to be so costly for you.

TWCG & HPC has decided they will never work with you in future as they chose to blacklist candidates who cannot respect their time.

I hope this will be a good beginning for you in 2007.

Good Luck.

Ralph
Sr. Technical Recruiter
Third World Contractors Group
-----------

Sorry for being long-winded, but the whole play struck me as amusing. Of course, I do tend to have an odd sense of humor.

Oh, but I love working in I.T.  grin

Regards,
Rabbit.

To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Tech recruiting follies.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 02:06:04 AM »
Please share the names of TWCG and HPC so we can all be sure to avoid them ourselves.

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 02:11:39 AM »
we had this fish on the line,
that was going to feed the whole family,
but the fish rabbited,
dang, that fish was a wise fox

laugh
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 03:01:34 AM »
It smells to me like HPC thinks you are in possession of proprietary information which they wish to acquire.

Go with your guts.  You don't need to be associated with that kind of ethic.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 03:53:45 AM »
Yes, something fishy there.  You did the right thing, Rabbit.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 05:22:09 AM »
They made no offer until it was too late.  Too bad for them that they can't make it happen in anything under  two months (~Mid Nov to Mid-Jan).  Maybe they ought to revamp thier hiring process rather than get all sore at a guy who too a better offer while they fiddled around.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 07:33:08 AM »
Something similar happened to me when I was dealing with recruiters as I finished up grad school . . . one in particular kept talking to me, and talking to me, but never made me an offer . . . until more than a MONTH after I'd graduated and was already in my new job!

And then he got upset that I didn't JUMP at the chance to join his organization.  rolleyes
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 07:57:55 AM »
Please share the names of TWCG and HPC so we can all be sure to avoid them ourselves.
2nd that.  Though if I were a betting man, I'd place wagers that HPC is a company in the Northwest, or goes by the moniker that denotes an EXTREMELY large number.

On the issue of unprofessionalism, TWCG is pretty bad, and the HR Drone at HPC listening in on your conversation without your knowledge and consent is unacceptable.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 09:12:17 AM »
And something tells me that there isn't really a blacklist... About 10 years ago, I took a job which I was told would entail network support, tech support, deskside, etc... Showed up, and got plunked into my chair. Got told that my job was to answer the phone, and when something wasn't working to take an order for a new piece of equipment. And that was it.

Next morning, instead of driving to the job, I drove to the shop, walked in, told the head honcho that I didn't like being lied to, and that I was outta there. Got the whole "you'll never work in this town again" bit... Yeah, right...

Blog under construction

client32

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 10:47:24 AM »
Timely post for me.

I am working on getting a new job, and having to talk to recruiters.  Today I got an email about a job.  They asked for my resume and some other info (relocate, citizen status, that type of thing).  I've exchanged emails a couple of times then I am sent a form requesting info so that they can fill out for the employer.

I had two big problems with the form.  One was that I have already given him every ounce of info that was requested on that form.  The second, and most disturbing, the form wants an SSN.  So now I am supposed to simply email my SSN to someone I have never met and cannot verify is actually looking to hire a person?

I sent a polite response that he already has my information aside from the SSN and I will not be emailing that seeing as it would be quite irresponsible.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 11:09:11 AM »
I once had an employer fly me across the country for an interview, and in that interview, tell me that the position was one where I'd be developing new software in C/C++ on Sun workstations running Unix.  It was for about 40% more money than I was making at the time.

So I took the job. 

Which turned out to be maintaining existing software that was written in FORTRAN IV, running on VAXen under VMS.  Also, the project was run by an...interesting chap who believed that "good software design" meant "reusing variables as much as possible so that any and all changes are brown-trousers risky".  Also there was no development or QA systems; all changes were live in the production system the very moment they were compiled.  Also they required that I attend three weeks' worth of classes (the classes cost about $3k per week) immediately upon starting, and then once I was done, tried to claim that unless I stayed with the company for a full year, I'd be billed for the tuition of those classes.

But the money was awesome while it lasted.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 11:11:15 AM »
The double-up is a classic headhunter tactic.  The person on the other line very likely was the headhunter's buddy playing the role of "PO'd human resource guy".  They try to bully you into signing.

I'm just stubborn enough that I'd call his bluff.  Call HPC and see if "Name Here" really is the HR director.  Then get them to transfer you.  You will probably get his/her assistant.  Let the assistant know who you are, what has transpired, and that you are concerned you were being mislead and could they please verify that the HR director was actually part of the call.  Of course, do so in a coversational manner, not accusatory or confrontational.  I'd bet a hamburger that they've never heard of you.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 03:15:27 PM »
what unprofessional ass's.
Unbelievable

I really do hate tech
and if I wasn't so addicted to the money and lack of hard physical labor, I'd........................

Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 06:24:59 PM »
**update**

I received an employment offer packet by UPS courier today. Weighs about 2 pounds- maybe 80 sheets of the usual forms, legalese, I-9, fingerprint cards (!), background check authorization, drug testing. Just like nothing had ever happened. Came from HPC's corporate office, on the letterhead of the corp HR guy, with his signature and business card. This was the guy who 'Ralph' brought on the phone. Enclosed is a UPS Courier envelope back-addressed to HPC and HR Guy's attention.

I wonder if a roadkilled skunk will fit in that bag?  I know a couple of pounds of bricks would.

Nah, I don't think I want to make a poor UPS drone's day miserable. At least it wouldn't be sitting in his truck in the summer, though.

Yes, I'm highly amused. No, I'm not mad.

On an even funnier note, I had 3 emails today from different people associated with my *former* contract management company I contracted through at Old Reliable.  Recall that I left Old Reliable on excellent terms (with them) when the contract manager wouldn't discuss pay with me.  3 weeks after I left O.R., a drone for Contract Manager called and asked if I'd consider working for O.R. (on the same team I left) for less than I was making when I took the higher paying job. After I regained my composure and quit giggling, I be 'splained what had caused my departure. and gave them my terms to return. They countered at about a dollar per hour more than I left there making, which was really enough to have kept me in the first place- what I was after then was a show of good faith. They 'presented me' back to my former team manager at Old Relaible, who, according to the drone, was "excited to have me back".  Later that week, the drone emailed and said they 'had no further interest in me'.

Harrrumph.

Harken back to early January in the spiel above.  I'm back at Old Reliable on the Advanced Support team, among other Elder Statesmen of the company, and, of course, loving every instant of it. My old team is glad I'm back, as they can look again to me to back them up.

Guess who called and emailed me today?  Yep. Former Drone, who didn't want to pony up that dollar... and two other associates with the same contractor in different offices. Seems they need someone for my old team at Old Reliable.

Ol' Br'er Rabbit, he be's in his Laffin' Place.

Regards,
Rabbit.

To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 06:32:58 PM »
< evil chuckle >  Sounds to me like those folks who keep contacting you need some lessons on just how to burn bridges behind them.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 08:31:03 AM »
Too bad you didn't have a recorder on the call.  You could copy the segment where the HR guy from HPC was a horses butt, then send it to him in the packet with a note say "listen to this again then tell me just why I should work for you."

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 03:40:25 PM »
Make stuff up
You know
Name:  Hillary Clinton
SS #:  123-45-6789

etc

Would be worth it.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave