Author Topic: Grrrrr ... Avast  (Read 675 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Grrrrr ... Avast
« on: May 30, 2018, 08:42:45 PM »
I've been using Avast anti-virus again, after having tried several of the alternatives and finding that I liked them even less than Avast. A few minutes ago, I went to my system tray (Windows 7) to click my icon for Notepad, and I sew a new icon there that I didn't recognize. Hover over it, and it said "Avast Secure Browser." WTF? Fired up Control Panel, and I found that, indeed, some time today Avast had installed a new browser they're pushing on my computer without asking me. Needless to say, it's gone now but I am NOT happy that Avast would unilaterally reach into my computer to install software I had not requested.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Calumus

• friend
Re: Grrrrr ... Avast
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 11:48:03 PM »
Kaspersky has a free av out now. I'd recommend that. If you're iffy about the Russia connection, go with bitdefender. I've never been a fan of Avast. It's always seemed a bit bloated, and nags more than I like.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 04:00:46 PM »
Kaspersky has a free av out now. I'd recommend that. If you're iffy about the Russia connection, go with bitdefender. I've never been a fan of Avast. It's always seemed a bit bloated, and nags more than I like.

I am more than a little "iffy" about Kaspersky and the Russian connection. If I wanted the KGB in my computer, I'd just call them up and invite them.

Tried Bitdefender. Did NOT like it -- at all. Don't recall exactly what I didn't like, but it lasted about three days on my primary computer.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 08:37:42 PM »
The only other free AV that's worth putting on a system is Avira; but if Bitdefender annoyed you, the daily pop ups in this one will drive you nuts. Eset is my other go to for paid AV. Watch newegg for sales and you can often get it for $20-$25 for a year.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 11:18:23 PM »
Yeah -- I tried Avira, too.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!