Author Topic: Roseanne Barr gets her show cancelled  (Read 3008 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Roseanne Barr gets her show cancelled
« on: May 29, 2018, 02:36:31 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Roseanne Barr gets her show cancelled
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 02:53:33 PM »
So I guess this is the comment that got everybody's knickers in a twist.

Valerie Jarrett, who is African-American and born in Iran, is like the "muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby."

I don't like Jarret. I "don't like" her a lot. But I have to admit that even I wouldn't have made the ape correlation in today's ultra sensitive PC clmate.
Instead of Planet of the Apes  I wonder if something less tied to anti-black racism would have gotten a less fiery response.
Maybe  "...is like the "muslim brotherhood & a maggot infested camel turd had a baby." might have been better received? Of course any politically motivated criticism of a "person of color" is automatically deemed to be racist.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 03:09:10 PM »
The deep state takes down another true patriot.  [tinfoil]
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 03:33:54 PM »
I'm shocked that Rosanne Barr would say something that would cause controversy!

I don't care if you insult politicians or their advisors or staff but comparing a black woman to an ape is a bit over the line.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 03:50:15 PM »
Was someone out there protesting this or is it just most of her bosses are a bunch of sensitive libs who can't handle criticism of President Obama or any of his people.  Yeah, it was in very poor taste, but it wasn't that bad.  I am sure she has said worse. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 03:57:39 PM »
Was someone out there protesting this or is it just most of her bosses are a bunch of sensitive libs who can't handle criticism of President Obama or any of his people.  Yeah, it was in very poor taste, but it wasn't that bad.  I am sure she has said worse. 

I would imagine every lib on twitter got their panties all twisted up and started complaining to ABC, whether they disagreed with her or not. So ABC yanked it but give it a couple of seasons and FOX will pick it up because it is a money maker and that is really all that matters in the long run. ;)

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 04:04:34 PM »

For the sake of argument I will concede that her show should have been canceled* (I'm not sure if it should have or not, but for argument's sake let's cancel it).

With that concession made, my question then is: Why are there literally dozens of shows on the air where the stars make the same or worse comments about anyone who isn't a progressive, and their shows remain on the air?

*And as far as the "cancel it" argument goes, is that really the "fair" thing to do? If one actor on a show is guilty of something, is the fair and progressive thing to do canceling the show and putting possibly hundreds of innocent people out of work?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 04:18:49 PM »
ABC may have been looking for an excuse to cancel the show after Barr came out as a Trump supporter.

She gave them one, wrapped in a bow.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 04:27:02 PM »
Then ironically, there is this:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/05/29/tone-deaf-msnbc-slammed-for-bringing-on-joy-reid-to-discuss-roseanne-barrs-social-media-slur.html

Not only was Joy Reid not fired for what she did, but they put her on air to talk about how bad Barr is.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 07:54:10 PM »
ABC may have been looking for an excuse to cancel the show after Barr came out as a Trump supporter.

She gave them one, wrapped in a bow.

This in spades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 08:15:30 PM »
I'm just enjoying the dumpster fire.

And one doesn't need to invoke racism to point out that Valerie Jarrett is a loathsome creature.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 09:53:42 AM »
Roseanne Barr is not a martyr. Her show was not cancelled from ABC because the network wanted to stick it to Trump supporters. Her show was cancelled because she tweeted something foolish and hateful.

This should come as no surprise to the Conservatives who have suddenly made Roseanne the face of their movement simply because her sitcom was friendly to the Trump movement.
Perhaps you remember her national anthem rendition at a San Diego Padres game when she howled her way through the song only to finish out by grabbing herself inappropriately and spitting.

But hey, at least she didn’t do something really obscene like take a knee.

I loved the old show, hadn't gotten around to watching the new show but she's been a nut for a very long time. I think anyone who took a few seconds to look at her past should have realize she wasn't someone you'd want on your 'team'.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 10:06:09 AM »
I loved the old show, hadn't gotten around to watching the new show but she's been a nut for a very long time. I think anyone who took a few seconds to look at her past should have realize she wasn't someone you'd want on your 'team'.

That's a very good point. It's not like she's new on the scene.  I recall many of us here (myself included) being outraged by many of her stunts and statements over the years. She's not a star anyone should want to hitch their wagon to.

That said, one still has to wonder why her show was immediately canceled while say, "The View" continues on the same network. If they applied outrage equally, they would not just have fired Joy Behar long ago, but would also have canceled "The View". Instead, Behar gets to continue saying disgusting stuff not just on social media, but also as a representative of ABC on one of their shows.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 10:17:10 AM »
Why do I suspect that had she been one of "the resistance" she could have gotten away with absolute murder and not have had her show cancelled.

What, she set a gay cross dressing illegal immigrant homosexual on fire in Times Square?

It's OK, she hates the Trump so she's forgiven.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 10:45:08 AM »
Ditto to Dittohead's post #11.  And to his quote recalling the Anthem issue  Roseanne Barr instigated.

No one could see this coming? [tinfoil]

She's been a tendentious personality of a long time.

Yeah,  we are all living in The Land of the Snowflakes now.   But it IS NOT a First Amendment issue,  ABC isn't the government repressing free speech,  it's a corporation that decides what to broadcast on the merits they deem worthy.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 04:28:52 PM »
I never considered Rosanne as part of my team.  I think it just got under the skin of the TV executives when it was reported that she was pro-trump.  The good ratings of the show prevented them from canceling it then.  This just gave them an excuse.  They are a monster company so they can absorb the loss of cutting a highly rated show. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 11:55:02 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 01:12:52 AM »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 02:04:48 AM »
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/29/roseanne-canceled-sitcom-family-reflected-trump-vo/

Read to the end

Yet some say there is a double standard in the entertainment industry when it comes to offensive speech.

Radio host Clay Travis wondered why Mr. Olbermann continues to be employed by ESPN, which also is owned by Disney, despite his habit of going on profanity-laced Twitter tirades directed at Mr. Trump. Mr. Travis said Disney has treated “very similar speech dissimilarly based on whether or not it agrees with the content.”

“If you are a left-winger, you can say whatever you want and you have no punishment for anything you say,” Mr. Travis said on Fox Sports Radio’s “Outkick the Coverage.” “The moment you are conservative and you say anything, you get fired.”

Greg Gutfeld, co-host of Fox News’ “The Five,” said ABC was justified in canceling “Roseanne.” But he also wondered why Joy Reid, who apologized for writing homophobic articles on her now-defunct blog, continues to have a show on MSNBC.

“Joy Reid has got an amazing second chance going right now after a paper trail of homophobia,” Mr. Gutfeld said.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 02:12:32 AM »
Funny thing is if you read what she actually wrote, she is comparing her to the movie itself, or movie series with no word on if it's the remake or original. So I guess it depends on if you like the movie or not if the comment is a bad thing. [popcorn]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 02:57:53 PM »
Meanwhile, calling the President's daughter a "feckless *wow such a strong word to use, check your anger at the door*" is a-ok:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trumps-press-secretary-says-samantha-bees-comment-about-ivanka-trump-was-disgusting/ar-AAy4AW3?li=BBnb7Kz

Different standards for The Left.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 03:54:03 PM »
I don't really care.  I am tired of the constant drum beat to fire anyone who says anything that is mildly offensive.  If the show's ratings remained high, I don't see why ABC should care. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 08:54:44 PM »
I don't know how accurate the reporting is, but  I read that ABC consulted with Michelle Obama on what to do regarding Barr.

Meanwhile, related to Angel Eye's post, this Samantha Bee is getting all kinds of support for what she said, and the "Hollywood elite" are apparently mad that she apologized.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 09:27:27 PM »
I don't know how accurate the reporting is, but  I read that ABC consulted with Michelle Obama on what to do regarding Barr.

Meanwhile, related to Angel Eye's post, this Samantha Bee is getting all kinds of support for what she said, and the "Hollywood elite effete" are apparently mad that she apologized.

More descriptive, no?

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 10:20:59 PM »
Meanwhile, related to Angel Eye's post, this Samantha Bee is getting all kinds of support for what she said, and the "Hollywood elite" are apparently mad that she apologized.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/two-advertisers-suspend-full-frontal-232818495.html

Auto Trader and State Farm have suspended advertising on Bee's show.