Author Topic: A question on basement jacks  (Read 2431 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: A question on basement jacks
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2018, 06:16:23 PM »
You don't need to worry about expansion and contraction.

A piece of vinyl flooring would be fine. You could even paint the concrete with Drylok.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2018, 09:01:29 PM »
This reminds me: I need to replace the pieces of galvanized tubing with proper jacks that the previous owner used to hold up the main beam in my barn :facepalm:

Did you buy your house from KD ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 10:32:05 PM »
Did you buy your house from KD ??

Like I'd waste money on galvanized?  Hell, we rarely even put primer on anything unless the customer specifically requested it.

(Or one of the crews muffed a dimension, scabbed in a piece, and did such a good job on the welds and cleanup that a coat of paint would hide it completely.  We had a couple of guys that were good enough they couldn't even find their own repairs sometimes.)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2018, 09:00:54 AM »
If you're really worried about cracking the basement floor, you have a couple of options for distributing the load.

1. Get a scrap piece of 1/2" plate steel, 12 to 18 inches square. You'd be looking at between 20 and 30 pounds per each piece. Put down a piece of vinyl sheet on the floor, put the plate steel on top of the vinyl, and there's your pad.

2. This might be even better if you have areas where you get standing water in the basement, and the stuff is easier to get. Get a pressure treated 4x4 and some end-cut treatment. Cut it in 1 or 2 foot lengths, and bolt them together. Put end cut treatment on the whole mess (not just the cut ends). Put the vinyl on the floor, the wood block on top, and there's your pad. You can even attach the column base to the wood with a couple of lags.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2018, 11:45:28 AM »

2. This might be even better if you have areas where you get standing water in the basement, and the stuff is easier to get. Get a pressure treated 4x4 and some end-cut treatment. Cut it in 1 or 2 foot lengths, and bolt them together. Put end cut treatment on the whole mess (not just the cut ends). Put the vinyl on the floor, the wood block on top, and there's your pad. You can even attach the column base to the wood with a couple of lags.

Not better, especially not if there's standing water. First, the green CCA (Chlorinated Copper Arsenate) pressure treatment we used to get is not longer available, and the replacement (naturally) isn't as good. Second, even CCA doesn't last as long as it's claimed. Back around 1990 my mother had a landcape timer retaining wall (two actually) built to hold back the earth flanking a walkout basement door. The timbers were claimed to last fifty years. It's now 28 years later, and the timbers are basically a memory.

In 1999 I built a landscape timber raised garden for an old friend from high school. I stopped by her house a few days ago to try to help her with a computer issue. The timbers are half gone, and the ones that remain probably won't last another year.

If water is present, the best choice is going to be concrete with an admixture -- latex or epoxy. Sakrete would be fine, mixed using latex rather than water for the mix, and using a high-strength water-cement ratio.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2018, 11:51:44 AM »
If there's long-term standing water in a basement there are bigger problems that need to be solved first before -- such as the mold loading that's going to accompany it.

From Fistful's post, though, it seems that the water incursion is incidental, not chronic.

In that case, pressure treated 4x4s will work just fine as they will dry out.

But, there needs to be a waterproof barrier between the wood and the concrete floor, otherwise the wood will rot a LOT faster.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2018, 08:34:28 PM »
If you're really worried about water, check and see if aluminum is available in your area. Obviously you'll need thicker stock, but the supplier should be able to hook you up with someone experienced in engineering for aluminum.