Author Topic: $4Million dollar pothole- where else but Chicago.  (Read 1480 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
$4Million dollar pothole- where else but Chicago.
« on: July 24, 2018, 12:18:27 PM »
https://www.bnd.com/news/state/illinois/article215412010.html
So a motorcyclist hits a pothole, is thrown from his bike and struck by another vehicle and dies. Chicago settles with family for $4 million. Seems like it would be cheaper to fix potholes but the broken city is plagued with potholes and various other hazards. Seems like Chicago is always broke but always settling lawsuits with big piles of cash for all kinds of things.
Also this:
https://www.bnd.com/news/business/article215347345.html
Police chase fleeing felon causing him to strike and kill 2 innocents for another $3 million...

I wish I lived in a state with no Chicago in it.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: $4Million dollar pothole- where else but Chicago.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 12:23:23 PM »
Are police / govt liable for people hurt (by the criminal) in those high speed chases?  Have there been court decisions applying to this?  This comes up in Hollywood stuff a lot, but I am curious what happens in reality.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 12:27:57 PM »
I'm betting the insurance pays most of it... But the insurance bill must be astronomical anyway.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 12:39:02 PM »
One way or another, the taxpayers are covering it.
Chicago has a huge problem with the mayor and AG and pandering top police admin blaming police patrol officers for everything bad that happens to the "community". The criminals have no accountability and are often released with charges downgraded to misdemeanors. Patrol officers are not motivated to enforce or chase or apprehend or heaven forbid drawing a weapon on some of these fools.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 01:04:28 PM »
"Chicago has a huge problem with the mayor and AG and pandering top police admin blaming police patrol officers for everything bad that happens to the "community"."

Don't forget law-abiding gun owners! We're worse than Hitler!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 01:17:28 PM »
I wonder how many of these awards are structured payouts.  You know, $10 a month for a billion dollars.  Then when Chicago defaults on all bonds and debts, they're off the hook for the remaining sum.

Are structured settlements like insurance claims payouts?  Not taxable income for the payee because they're "compensation for a loss," and therefore not taxable?

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 02:06:25 PM »
I had a coworker 20 years back who hit a water shutoff with his motorcycle and woke up in a hospital.
A road crew was doing some sort of maintenance and failed to push the water valve back down to street level.
The city billed him around $200 for the fire dept to hose his blood off the pavement.

I don't remember if he even got a settlement, maybe enough to pay part of his medical bills...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 02:51:46 PM »
I wish I lived in a state with no Chicago in it.

Yep-o.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 04:17:44 PM »
My problem is some of these settlements are far beyond actual damages even counting medical.  Makes me wonder if some of these are sort of payments to friendly trial lawyers. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 04:56:18 PM »
My problem is some of these settlements are far beyond actual damages even counting medical.  Makes me wonder if some of these are sort of payments to friendly trial lawyers.  

Don't the lawyers typically get 1/3 of the payout anyway as their "fee"?

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 06:25:15 PM »
In Connecticut, it's almost impossible to get the state to pay out on a pothole claim of any kind, though I've not heard of a case where they were sued for wrongful death because of one.

Outside of that, they'll deny your claim for just about any reason.  Didn't see it?  You were driving too fast or following too close to the vehicle in front of you.  Did the state receive prior notice of the pothole within the last three weeks?  If not, tough.  Raining too hard to see the hazard?  You were driving too fast.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 11:38:27 PM »
In Connecticut, it's almost impossible to get the state to pay out on a pothole claim of any kind, though I've not heard of a case where they were sued for wrongful death because of one.

Outside of that, they'll deny your claim for just about any reason.  Didn't see it?  You were driving too fast or following too close to the vehicle in front of you.  Did the state receive prior notice of the pothole within the last three weeks?  If not, tough.  Raining too hard to see the hazard?  You were driving too fast.
That is the sort of default response I would expect, not "hey, here is a$4 Million".  The guy died, but still that is a lot of money.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 01:08:57 AM »
I wonder how many of these awards are structured payouts.  You know, $10 a month for a billion dollars.  Then when Chicago defaults on all bonds and debts, they're off the hook for the remaining sum.

Are structured settlements like insurance claims payouts?  Not taxable income for the payee because they're "compensation for a loss," and therefore not taxable?

It depends.  Some may be non-taxable, while other parts of the settlement may be taxable.   This will make it clear a s mud.* 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/lawsuitesawardssettlements.pdf

If you claim some or all of your settlement as non-taxable or deductible, you most likely will end up in front of an examiner (at least initially) to justify how and why you structured your return as you did.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 11:05:15 AM »
It depends.  Some may be non-taxable, while other parts of the settlement may be taxable.   This will make it clear as mud.  

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/lawsuitesawardssettlements.pdf

:O

Wow.  Thirty six pages.  That sure wasn't a yes or no question, was it?

Thanks for the effort in digging that up.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 01:49:09 PM »
When ya get lawyers/courts involved, this is what you get.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!