Author Topic: Make Yourself at Home, Mr Lion  (Read 4935 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dm1333

• friend
Re: Make Yourself at Home, Mr Lion
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 05:29:33 PM »
After entering the home, the cat was startled by Taylor's roommate, who screamed upon seeing the mountain lion. This prompted the wild animal to hide behind the sofa, where it snoozed for several hours.

Taylor made a noise to wake the feline, but then “gazed lovingly into her eyes, and communicated using feline-speak eye blinking to calm her,” she wrote.

“It was amazing to realize that this worked. I gazed lovingly then blinked hard and then she did it back,” Taylor continued, adding that the cat then went back to sleep. “She clearly felt safe and she showed no inclination to leave."

The Oregon woman then used a drum to encourage the lion to exit the home.

“She roused and knew just what to do.... walking out through the open doors, through the yard, across the creek, and through the empty field behind us exactly as we had shown her,” said Taylor, adding she has “extensive experience working with energy and animals."

“It was a perfect ending to a blessed encounter that could have been dangerous if approached from a lower frequency,” she continued. “May she stay safely in the hills to enjoy a long life as a wild and healthy lion.”

One of these days that lady is going to turn herself into a ginormous cat turd.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 05:43:05 PM »
"It was a perfect ending to a blessed encounter that could have been dangerous if approached from a lower frequency.”

Well, OK, but I think it would be critical to know what frequency you were using and how you selected it.  I hope it wasn't in one of the Extra class or government bands.  I can't transmit in those.

We, too, have at least one lion wandering around here occasionally, so I guess you can understand why I need to know:

"What frequency for lions?"

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 05:58:08 PM »
Maybe Kenneth knows.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 06:00:50 PM »
              "What frequency for lions?"

I am not sure a single frequency would suffice when communicating with such a magnificent creature. I personally would opt for the harmonious blending of frequencies produced by Mr. 220 Swift. ;)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 09:24:29 PM »
I had several thoughts about this "blessed encounter," but I see y'all have anticipated me and saved me the trouble of commenting.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 09:38:03 PM »

One of these days that lady is going to turn herself into a ginormous cat turd.

Treadwellified.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 07:59:07 PM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

BobR

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 08:15:38 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/07/26/colorado-man-spots-4-mountain-lions-lurking-on-porch-it-blew-my-mind.html

Apparently mountain lions are losing their fear of people.

I don't know, this is the time of year the males from last year get kicked out of the house because of the new ones taking up residence so they are out looking for food and stuff. We had a picture from here a few years ago that showed 8 immature males hanging out together.

bob

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 11:17:48 PM »
The mountain lion must have thought it had found the purrrrrrrfect  home. [tinfoil] [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 11:52:08 PM »
Taylor continued, adding that the cat then went back to sleep. “She clearly felt safe and she showed no inclination to leave."

Sure.  She had just eaten the nasty little kid from down the block.  And his dog.  Burp. Zzz-z-z-z-z-z.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 06:02:14 AM »
Maybe Kenneth knows.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one!

As an idiotic sometimes handler of dangerous wildlife, I can honestly say that this woman is nuts!
All the feel-good psychobabble does not negate the stupidity of...
1) leaving a back door open.
2) recognizing that a Wild Animal Apex Predator is in an enclosed environment with someone throwing frequencies at it.
3) failing to realize that if that big cat "felt safe and showed no inclination to leave" it probably considers the home its territory and knows where to come back to should it be injured or starved and needs somewhere "safe" to snack on hippy chicks.

If it was me, I would've closed that back door, taught that cat whose house it was, gone to the hospital, gone to the pet store for an XXXL litter box, and settled down with my new pet.  =)
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 07:18:33 AM »
LadySmith remarked,

Quote from: Warren on July 24, 2018, 03:58:08 PM

Maybe Kenneth knows.

Good one!

I did not "get" that one.  Who's Kenneth?  21st century Pop culture?

:old:

LadySmith added:

If it was me, I would've closed that back door, taught that cat whose house it was, gone to the hospital, gone to the pet store for an XXXL litter box, and settled down with my new pet.

:rofl:  Wimp.  A couple of Band-Aids (TM) should suffice.  And don't forget to bring enough chair.

Terry, 230RN

Pic credit in properties
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 07:45:02 AM by 230RN »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 02:02:11 PM »
Find a mountain lion in the house?

I'd be contacting both a professional cleaning service and a taxidermist promptly, as I'd have need of both.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 04:56:27 PM »
Kenneth = assault on Dan Rather.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2018, 06:22:38 PM »
Kenneth = assault on Dan Rather.

???   ???   ???

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2018, 06:33:45 PM »
And people wonder how come I put "REFs" in my posts.

And, for those of you who will suggest this, it should not be incumbent on your readers to look stuff up in Gargle or whatever search engine they use.  Especially if there are no other parameters with which to filter the search.  32 million hits on "Kenneth."

Nor should the writer assume the reader has the same information-set as himself.

Yes, I'm angry.

[ar15]

Snarl.

Good thing the name Treadwell is known to me, or I'd not know what "Treadwellified" meant without being a mind reader and I'd be ragging on that, too.

If your purpose is to communicate something in your head, then dammit to hell, COMMUNICATE !

Terry

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 06:47:37 PM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2018, 06:40:59 PM »
And people wonder how come I put "REFs" in my posts.

For Kenneth, I'm pretty sure you mean REM.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2018, 06:59:12 PM »
For Kenneth, I'm pretty sure you mean REM.

I'm sure that was very clever and witty, Ben.

Gratuitous :rofl:.

Since I don't get the REM reference.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2018, 07:03:09 PM »
Wow. That lady was nucking futs....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2018, 07:28:18 PM »
I may be the only person here who was watching CBS news in October 1986 and therefore actually remembers 'What's the frequency, Kenneth?", but putting 'kenneth assault on dan rather' as I listed above into Google should answer all your questions.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2018, 08:15:29 PM »
I repeat, one's readers shouldn't have to Google.  How presumptuous. And Warren mentioned it first.  October 1986?  You've got to be kidding.  All I remember from then is that I was coming out of a divorce.

I've vented enough on this.  Take it or leave it.

Oh, except I wouldn't consider a .220 Swift as a proper cartridge for mountain lions.  Especially indoors.  It would probably break your windows.

Google it. :D

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2018, 08:33:17 PM »
I repeat, one's readers shouldn't have to Google.  How presumptuous. And Warren mentioned it first.  October 1986?  You've got to be kidding.  All I remember from then is that I was coming out of a divorce.

He's right, you know.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2018, 08:59:09 PM »
He's right, you know.

Nope. If every poster had to reference things in their posts to ensure EVERYONE here wouldn't have to look things up, no one would bother posting. Because nearly every post would be twice as long and filled with footnotes, because everyone here has some area -- cultural, scientific, or otherwise that they're not familiar with. To ask everyone to write based on the lowest common denominator, or trying to guess what the lowest common denominator is, would be ridiculous.

I've seen things posted here that I thought were obscure. I looked them up. I've seen things posted here that everyone but me seems to get. I've looked them up. Sometimes I've rolled my eyes at nonsense, sometimes I've learned something new. Or something old.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2018, 09:08:51 PM »

I've vented enough on this.  Take it or leave it.

Oh, except I wouldn't consider a .220 Swift as a proper cartridge for mountain lions.  Especially indoors.  It would probably break your windows.

Google it. :D

You are probably right, a 22 mag to the brain pan would suffice and wouldn't produce nearly a big of a pressure spike. ;)

bob