Author Topic: I weep for my country  (Read 1517 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
I weep for my country
« on: August 07, 2018, 01:12:37 AM »
https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=11196

This is stuff I was taught in 8th grade (or was it 7th grade?) Social Studies.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: I weep for my country
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 06:26:01 AM »
 [tinfoil]
I kind of think it's deliberate. Much easier to take something away if they don't even know they have it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:12:28 AM »
True, but there are also people who know all about the 1st Amendment and still argue for abridgement of free speech, attack religious freedoms, and don't even understand peaceful assembly or redress of grievances.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 06:21:00 PM »
US Constitution, Amendment I: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

There IS no mention of "separation of church and state" ANYWHERE in the US Constitution! These is NOTHING there that says you can't mention God, ANYWHERE. What it does is forbid the government from establishing an official religion, but also prohibits government actions that unduly favor one religion over another. It also prohibits the government from unduly preferring religion over non-religion, or non-religion over religion. PERIOD.
The rest simply says Congress can't restrict Speech, the Press, prevent you from gathering together and if the federal government is exceeding the authority granted to it under the constitution, the people have a right to formally complain and the government must respond.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/first_amendment

Here is a link to Supreme Court notable cases dealing with the First Amendment, Obscenity and Indecency. Miller v. California, 413 U.S. 15, 93 S.Ct. 2607, 37 L.Ed.2d. 419 (1973) is where the court mapped out a three part test for what is obscene. "First, the average person, applying contemporary community standards, must find that the work, taken as a whole, appeals to prurient interests; second, that it depicts or describes, in a patently offensive way, sexual conduct as defined by state law; and third, that the work, taken as a whole, lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value."

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/censorshipfirstamendmentissues/courtcases

Notable First Amendment Court Cases:
This page contains summaries of frequently cited First Amendment cases. Arranged by topic, they cover case law issued by a variety of courts: the Supreme Court of the United States, the Court of Appeals of different Federal circuits, the District Court of several Federal districts, as well as the highest court of several states and particular appellate courts of action.
ALA.ORG

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 07:26:56 PM »
US Constitution, Amendment I: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

There IS no mention of "separation of church and state" ANYWHERE in the US Constitution! These is NOTHING there that says you can't mention God, ANYWHERE. What it does is forbid the government from establishing an official religion, but also prohibits government actions that unduly favor one religion over another. It also prohibits the government from unduly preferring religion over non-religion, or non-religion over religion. PERIOD.
The rest simply says Congress can't restrict Speech, the Press, prevent you from gathering together and if the federal government is exceeding the authority granted to it under the constitution, the people have a right to formally complain and the government must respond.

Here is a link to Supreme Court notable cases dealing with the First Amendment, Obscenity and Indecency. Miller v. California, 413 U.S. 15, 93 S.Ct. 2607, 37 L.Ed.2d. 419 (1973) is where the court mapped out a three part test for what is obscene. "First, the average person, applying contemporary community standards, must find that the work, taken as a whole, appeals to prurient interests; second, that it depicts or describes, in a patently offensive way, sexual conduct as defined by state law; and third, that the work, taken as a whole, lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value."

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/censorshipfirstamendmentissues/courtcases

Notable First Amendment Court Cases:ALA.ORG

..........But you can't yell Fire!!!.....and... Stuff!!!

:laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 09:05:22 PM »
I would be curious what the results of the same survey would be in previous years and decades.  I really doubt this is recent and there have always been people who forgot most of what they learned in school the day after they graduated.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 09:34:59 PM »
[snip]

Notice that the right to petition .gov flows right into the Amendment II, the right to arms.  I don't think that's an accident.  I read 2A as a continuation of 1A, because otherwise why would they listen to those grievances?  THAT's what's necessary to secure a free state.
"It's good, though..."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 09:36:02 PM »
I would be curious to see results from other schools, and especially other colleges in the universities. With all of the emphasis on STEM education, I wonder if civics/history suffers as a result.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 04:42:14 PM »

Notable First Amendment Court Cases:ALA.ORG

The "Separation of Church and State" is in a letter Jefferson wrote to a Baptist Church.

The phrase "separation between church & state" is generally traced to a January 1, 1802, letter by Thomas Jefferson, addressed to the Danbury Baptist Association in Connecticut, and published in a Massachusetts newspaper. Jefferson wrote,

I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof', thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."[1]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 06:10:09 PM »

I don't see "separation of church and state" in the Constitution, but I don't see most of the rest of that in there, either. All I see is, no establishing a religion, and no prohibiting the free exercise of religion.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 01:18:51 PM »

I don't see "separation of church and state" in the Constitution, but I don't see most of the rest of that in there, either. All I see is, no establishing a religion, and no prohibiting the free exercise of religion.

You just haven't been trained to perceive the auras and penumbras included in the Constitution.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 03:22:11 PM »

You are also using old archaic word definitions of the past.  You need to embrace the NewSpeak of the Future when you interpret Living Documents such as the Constitution. 

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 04:02:25 PM »
You just haven't been trained to perceive the auras and penumbras included in the Constitution which make it a "living document," subject to the shifting whims of public opinion.

There, that's better.

Well, my first reaction ro the OP was "Oh, Columbia University." Then "Midtown Manhattan."  Then "New York City."

Enough said.  Case closed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 04:16:37 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 02:32:45 AM »
This is interesting

[attachment deleted by admin]
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 06:22:52 PM »
Well, I have a special problem there.  With the proper screen resolution and the fact that I enlarge my screen to 200% for viewability at four feet, the usual word-wrapping for text doesn't work for images.  I have to copy the image to Paint and then usually have to enlarge it.  Poor little special me <snif-snif>.

I just thought if there was a textual source for that, it would be nice for poor little special me <snif-snif>, especially for highlighting and copying.

But it's not the first time poor little special me had to hand-transcribe text for posting and other purposes.

I used to have a fairly good optical scanner for rendering images to text, but my scanner broke.  Poor little me.

<special> Terry <snif>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 06:35:44 PM by 230RN »

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 09:16:08 PM »
Well, I have a special problem there.  With the proper screen resolution and the fact that I enlarge my screen to 200% for viewability at four feet, the usual word-wrapping for text doesn't work for images.  I have to copy the image to Paint and then usually have to enlarge it.  Poor little special me <snif-snif>.

I just thought if there was a textual source for that, it would be nice for poor little special me <snif-snif>, especially for highlighting and copying.

But it's not the first time poor little special me had to hand-transcribe text for posting and other purposes.

I used to have a fairly good optical scanner for rendering images to text, but my scanner broke.  Poor little me.

<special> Terry <snif>

https://archive.is/yAryk  ;)

Don't worry it doesn't lead to any of the sites that use greentext.

EDIT: I just realized what forum it actually was, lol. Not even 4chan wanted to link that place.  :rofl:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:14:15 PM by CypherNinja »
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 10:10:52 PM »

<special> Terry <snif>

Maybe I'm wierd, but when I clicked on it, it grew to a very legibel size.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 10:57:23 PM »

Ummm -- just [single] click on the image, and it enlarges itself to a nicely readable size. Click again and it reverts to being a thumnail.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2018, 12:03:51 AM »
^ If you're talking about HeroHog's thumbnail, I know about clicking on it to enlarge it.  What I'm saying is that it still chops off the right side of the text image and there's no horizontal scroll bar to move the image around.  Same thing happens with large regular images, of course.

Special problem, and I found special solutions ([1]copy to Paint, [2]reduce my screen enlargement to 150% and use stronger glasses), so no big deal.    There must be some kind of scrolling option buried somewhere I never found.

See attachment for screen shot of a sample of what I mean.  Note no horizontal scroll bar and 200% screen enlargement.

The main thing was I was wondering if there was a quotable text source instead of an image.  No, so that's that.

Terry

Say, what was the topic anyhow?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 12:18:54 AM by 230RN »

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2018, 12:14:18 AM »
^ If you're talking about HeroHog's thumbnail, I know about clicking on it to enlarge it.  What I'm saying is that it still chops off the right side of the text image and there's no horizontal scroll bar to move the image around.  Same thing happens with large regular images, of course.

Not for me.  What's your screen resolution?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2018, 12:53:14 AM »
^ If you're talking about HeroHog's thumbnail, I know about clicking on it to enlarge it.  What I'm saying is that it still chops off the right side of the text image and there's no horizontal scroll bar to move the image around.  Same thing happens with large regular images, of course.

Interesting. Not on my screen.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2018, 12:58:06 AM »
You might find this chrome plugin handy:  https://projectnaptha.com

It automatically finds text in images and makes it selectable.  Works surprising well.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2018, 10:35:20 AM »
Ok, That's just COOL! Thanks Nick1911!
MOLON LABE!