Author Topic: Medicare for All!  (Read 19552 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: Medicare for All!
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 08:01:28 PM »
All of what you said above is true, except the last italicized part.  The reason our health care and health insurance system is so fubar is due directly to government interference.  And the most egregious damage was done in the last ten years, a direct result of ObamaCare.
Thinking that government run health care (read: socialized medicine) would be more efficient is shows a hopeless naivete.
All of that said, I believe socialized medicine is where we are headed.  It wouldn't surprise me if a Republican administration has a large hand in its implementation.  I wish the idiots in kongress would just get it over with.

You’re using a principle “government is inefficient” to shoot down real life evidence (where every single government healthcare system in the world, including Medicare in the US, is more efficient than ‘private’ care as described by mellestad.)

Like it’s all well and good to believe ideologically that the government is inefficient, but is there any evidence at all this applies to healthcare?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 08:03:18 PM »
You’re using a principle “government is inefficient” to shoot down real life evidence (where every single government healthcare system in the world, including Medicare in the US, is more efficient than ‘private’ care as described by mellestad.)

Like it’s all well and good to believe ideologically that the government is inefficient, but is there any evidence at all this applies to healthcare?

Not in your universe, perhaps.  In our universe, and in this country, the VA.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2018, 07:45:05 AM »
Not in your universe, perhaps.  In our universe, and in this country, the VA.

https://www.rand.org/news/press/2016/07/18.html

The Veterans Affairs health care system generally performs better than or similar to other health care systems on providing safe and effective care to patients, according to a new RAND Corporation study.

There’s anecdotes and principles, and then there’s evidence
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2018, 08:04:12 AM »
https://www.rand.org/news/press/2016/07/18.html

There’s anecdotes and principles, and then there’s evidenc

Sure, a RAND study that is contradicted by literally thousands of cases of veterans being ill served for years by the VA medical system, solid evidence for which can be found by even the most casual I-net search.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2018, 09:22:21 AM »
Sure, a RAND study that is contradicted by literally thousands of cases of veterans being ill served for years by the VA medical system, solid evidence for which can be found by even the most casual I-net search.

Got a link to that evidence?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2018, 11:11:22 AM »
Efficient or not, the federal government should not be selling or brokering goods or services to US citizen.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2018, 12:43:55 PM »
Efficient or not, the federal government should not be selling or brokering goods or services to US citizen.

Just replace 'selling' with 'providing a service' and it's the same as any other tax-funded thing the government does.

Perfect is the enemy of good. I'd rather have an imperfect system that treats healthcare like a "right" and pay for it through mass taxation than any form of what we have now, or what we had immediately before Obamacare.

This is coming from an ideological Libertarian, so I don't need convincing about the merits of a free market.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2018, 01:01:25 PM »
Perfect is the enemy of good. I'd rather have an imperfect system that treats healthcare like a "right" and pay for it through mass taxation than any form of what we have now, or what we had immediately before Obamacare.

That is an interesting 'right.'
Fits right in with the 'right to a living income', 'right to housing', and a 'right to eat.'
No worries, government can provide for all of these 'rights,' and it will only cost you your economic freedom, at least at first.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2018, 01:09:08 PM »
The Veterans Affairs health care system generally performs better than or similar to other health care systems on providing safe and effective care to patients, according to a new RAND Corporation study.

Allow me to offer a real life example of the VA Health Care system's lauded efficiency:

Back in December of 2017 I had a large number of open sores on both lower legs. They looked like I had been peppered in the shins by buckshot. I have previously posted about my experiences in trying to see a VA (and outside) dermatologist, so I won't repeat all that. But then we get to the clinical part.

After the attending dermatologist had seen me on an "urgent care" basis, I had a follow-up a week or two later with one of the residents. She prescribed two medications. One was a topical steroid, the other was Doxepin. The way my VA hospital works, you see the doctor. He/she doesn't hand you a prescription, they enter it into the computer. You have a choice: they will either mail the prescription(s) to your home, or you can proceed to the on-site pharmacy after your appointment, and pick up the medication(s) after waiting in line for a seemingly interminable time. I don't recall which option I chose, but that's not the point. The point is that, by the time you get the medication(s) with their accompanying literature explaining in excruciating detail all the horrible things that may happen to you when to use the medication as directed, you no longer have access to the doctor.

I got my meds and, because I'm "that guy," I proceeded to read the accompanying literature. It turned out that Doxepin isn't intended at all for use in dermatology. That wasn't even mentioned. Doxepin is a psychotropic, an anti-depressant. And among the side effects, as with most anti-depressant psychotropic drugs, are depression (worse than you started with -- a backfire), and suicidal thoughts. Buried deep in the fine print is the caution, "Discuss these potential side effects with your doctor."

Now remember -- this is the VA, which is dealing with a very high rate of veteran suicides. And remember thaat by the time the patient receives this information, he or she is far removed from the doctor. And trying to call your doctor, in the specialty clinics, is impossible. They're medical students from the nearby teaching hospital. They are only there on certain days, and when they're there they are hopelessly overbooked. Telephone contact is out of the question So what we have is dermatologists prescribing a psychotropic drug that is known to produce suicidal ideation as a side effect, for an off-label use, with NO discussion of the potential side effects, and no cautions about that other than the statements buried deep in a four- or five-page drug fact sheet from the pharmacy, which 99% of patients probably discard without every reading -- to a patient population known to have a higher than average problem with suicides.

What could possibly go wrong?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2018, 02:53:02 PM »
Just replace 'selling' with 'providing a service' and it's the same as any other tax-funded thing the government does.

This is coming from an ideological Libertarian, so I don't need convincing about the merits of a free market.

Please explain to me the concept of health care as a right.
What other rights are materially provided by government?
I have a right to Keep and bear arms but the government doesn't buy me a gun.
I have a right to a free press but the government doesn't provide me with a printing press.
"Healthcare" doesn't flow from the heavens like mana. It is the product of someone's skill, time and labor.
To demand healthcare as a right is to demand someone provide you their skill, time and labor.
The demand is for the government to provide healthcare. For the government to provide healthcare it must employ healthcare workers and pay them a wage. The government will decide what that wage will be. If Medicare is an example that wage will be considerably below going market value.
Dr. Feelgood spent 8-10 years becoming a doctor, maybe he paid for it with student loans or a trust fund or had lots of scholarships. He/she also worked very hard to become a doctor. Who gets to decide what his skill, time and labor is worth? With healthcare as a right will it be the (sort of) free market or a nameless faceless beaurocrat?

Then what happens if Dr. Feelgood and his peers decide their skill, time and labor is worth more than government will pay? Will the government force them to provide healthcare? Or will government figure out a way to ration a shrinking supply of healthcare.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2018, 04:42:40 PM »
I'm old enough to recall when your parents bought "Hospitalization coverage"  If something happened and you were hospitalized it paid the bills.  When you went to the doctor's office or he came to your house (yes, they did that then) you paid them in cash or maybe some other item you agreed on.  Farmers usually paid with eatable stuff.

When the unions began to get health care coverage for employees paid for by employers, hospitalization insurance evolved into the multifaceted thing it is now, and then the government got involved in '65 and things really started to change and the system became bloated and the hospitals started building fancy buildings and campii and all the attendant worker bees to do all the paperwork inter alia.  Good or bad?  Who knows. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Medicare for All!
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2018, 06:20:57 PM »
I'm old enough to recall when your parents bought "Hospitalization coverage"  If something happened and you were hospitalized it paid the bills.  When you went to the doctor's office or he came to your house (yes, they did that then) you paid them in cash or maybe some other item you agreed on.  Farmers usually paid with eatable stuff.

When the unions began to get health care coverage for employees paid for by employers, hospitalization insurance evolved into the multifaceted thing it is now, and then the government got involved in '65 and things really started to change and the system became bloated and the hospitals started building fancy buildings and campii and all the attendant worker bees to do all the paperwork inter alia.  Good or bad?  Who knows. 
The problem now is that we have such a bastardized hybrid system of socialized and "private" insurance that it's almost socialized medicine with private administration. And they're taxing me for other folks medical anyway.

I'm all for a private solution, I think it'd work best. But I'm also increasingly coming to the conclusion it's a pipe dream and modern America on both sides of the isle simply do not want and would not accept an actual private system. And I'm slowly getting to the point where I really don't think single payer could be any worse than the totally screwed bastardized system we have now, and for admittedly selfish reasons has the perks of not being bankrupt and the like if something major hits. And I can't think up many practical reasons I'd run into under single payer to fight whatever government office is administrating it, that I wouldn't have to likewise fight with my insurance company on anyway.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2018, 07:45:19 PM »
Got a link to that evidence?

Look for the evidence yourself.  It's plentiful, not hard to find.  I'm done supporting your latest batch of trolling.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2018, 11:12:20 PM »

Allow me to offer a real life example of the VA Health Care system's lauded efficiency:

Now remember -- this is the VA, which is dealing with a very high rate of veteran suicides. And remember thaat

That is a bad story - but one commonly told of the private system as well. It’s not like these things don’t happen at privately run places and that’s why statistical evidence is important to look at.

Even APS has numerous tales of the insanity and pain of dealing with private health companies and trying to get care. On a population level the evidence is clear that it costs more and the results for people are no better to have private medicine

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2018, 11:14:33 PM »

The constitution is not a suicide pact. Never mind that the founding fathers were absolutely not free market capitalists - the selling point of capitalism is that it makes life better. Turning around that proposition and saying we should all endure poorer healthcare for the sake of capitalism mistakes the entire purpose of markets.

Theyre supposed to serve humans, not the other way around.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2018, 11:27:03 PM »
The constitution is not a suicide pact. Never mind that the founding fathers were absolutely not free market capitalists - the selling point of capitalism is that it makes life better. Turning around that proposition and saying we should all endure poorer healthcare for the sake of capitalism mistakes the entire purpose of markets.

"The Constitution is not a suicide pact"  is one of the greatest cliches used to justify ignoring it that has ever been developed.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2018, 02:58:01 AM »
The problem is the people using the services are not the ones paying the bills.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2018, 05:32:30 AM »
The problem is the people using the services are not the ones paying the bills.

How to fix that with appropriate investment in medicine?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2018, 08:07:06 AM »
Turning around that proposition and saying we should all endure poorer healthcare for the sake of capitalism mistakes the entire purpose of markets.

We do not have poor healthcare.  We have excellent healthcare at a sometimes high price for some people.  It is simple supply and demand.  Everyone wants cheap healthcare and wants someone else to pay for it, but there is a limited availability of providers.  You want cheaper prices for everyone?  Lower the demand or increase the supply.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2018, 08:16:40 AM »
Don't tell me "well, other countries do it!" or "just like Medicare!"

You do realize that you're sounding like a flat earther, anti-vaxxor, young-earth creationist here, right?  

"Convince me, but you're not allowed to use any of the common evidence points!" - IE nothing I say can convince you.

How about this?  Prove that other countries that have effective universal health coverage are somehow vastly more efficient than the US government.

Sure, we can use the VA as an example.  It's messed up.  So aren't all the other single payer systems.  They're just less FUBAR than our system, which I view as a careful combination of the WORST aspects of public and private healthcare.  Or we could use medicare, medicaid, tricare, etc...  Starting to see the picture?

We and the government end up paying for all of it eventually.  We're not saving any money by not providing care.  If nothing else, because people eventually get sick enough that they lose their job and end up on medicaid anyways.  Now, just with a much more advanced and expensive illness.

How would it save money primarily?  By ending the cold-war between "insurance" companies providing health service plans(I dislike calling it insurance), and medical providers.  Right now, the fight that the medical plan providers are engaged in to pay as little as they can get away with the providers to get the money they need consumes about 20% of your medical dollars.  Many providers have more billing employees than they do nurses and doctors.  

I mean, I'd prefer a privatized and deregulated(largely) medical system, hell, just moving back to regular insurance and doing something such that people care about their medical bills and can exert pressure to save money would help.  But I don't see that happening.

Also much of what Boomhauer said above. People calling the ambulance because they sneezed is a big problem. It's brought up locally here all the time, because people do that to circumvent the three hour wait in the emergency room (filled with an 80% population of non-emergencies). I don't believe "free" government insurance would end that. It's a cultural problem. In fact, I believe it would increase if everyone was guaranteed a free ambulance ride to cutting in front of the line and getting immediate health care.

Okay, this is a uniquely USA problem for the most part.  Why?  Because in the other nations they can get an appointment with a PCM quicker, and it is actually cheaper than the emergency room.

The thing with people getting an ambulance because they sneezed is exaggerated, and generally only used by those who aren't going to pay anyways!  This creates a negative feedback because we have mandated that emergency rooms see everybody, and those costs have to be spread over those who will actually pay.  Thus the sky-high charges if you can/will actually pay.  The poor?  Just declare bankruptcy occasionally.

This is a very good point. Most of your posts have been very good.  For every bad story about the VA, there are multiple ones about private insurance.

Amy - I agree with what you say.  In the USA, the way it typically works is that you go get health care.  "Your" insurance pays for it.  However, who's paying your insurance?  Not you, not mostly.  Your work is paying for the insurance.  Or maybe the government.  I wouldn't be surprised if the government is paying for the healthcare of over 50% of people right now.  Children, retired people, government employees, veterans, people on welfare, etc...  It adds up.

Ideally, you'd go in and pay yourself.  Then you'd have the incentive to conserve.  But we have a lot of people who would die if that were the case, because their medical bills are vastly higher than average.  So you still need insurance.  But we don't have insurance now, we have coverage plans that are the equivalent of your auto insurance covering routine maintenance of your car.

Quote from: Fly320s
We do not have poor healthcare.  We have excellent healthcare at a sometimes high price for some people.  It is simple supply and demand.  Everyone wants cheap healthcare and wants someone else to pay for it, but there is a limited availability of providers.  You want cheaper prices for everyone?  Lower the demand or increase the supply.

We have healthcare no better than nations with single payer, at something approaching 200% of the cost. 

Cheaper prices for everyone?  Get rid of the cruft somehow.  We could save 20% merely by eliminating the fighting between providers and insurance companies.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2018, 08:42:30 AM »
It is not a fact that we can never have private health insurance again.

That is what is called a proposition.

Plenty of folks disagree with that proposition.

Hopefully Trump will get his turn at this knotty problem. He has a way of cutting through self limiting conventional “wisdom”.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »
The Obamacare website was a couple of billion and didn't work.  I'm not holding my breath on the government suddenly becoming competent at running the rest of the healthcare industry when it can't even manage web development.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »

Amy - I agree with what you say.  In the USA, the way it typically works is that you go get health care.  "Your" insurance pays for it.  However, who's paying your insurance?  Not you, not mostly.  Your work is paying for the insurance.  Or maybe the government.  I wouldn't be surprised if the government is paying for the healthcare of over 50% of people right now.  Children, retired people, government employees, veterans, people on welfare, etc...  It adds up.

Reality check:

Medicare (for retired people) pays for a very basic level of health care. Anyone I know on Medicare also pays for a Medicare supplement plan. The year I had my heart surgery I had a fairly basic supplemental plan, and the operation for follow-up still cost me a big chunk of change. The next year I charged to a supplement plan that pays more and has a lower annual deductible, but costs me quite a bit more every month.

I'm also a Vietnam veteran and I get some of my health care through the VA. When I first signed on with the VA, their system didn't talk to Social Security/Medicare or private insurance. Now they do -- the cost of my VA care goes against my Medicare just as a visit to a private (non-VA) hospital would.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2018, 01:09:42 PM »
Reality check:

Medicare (for retired people) pays for a very basic level of health care. Anyone I know on Medicare also pays for a Medicare supplement plan.

Good point. I think my dad's supplement is like $600/mo. for the most basic supplement that Anthem, offers.  I can't get him to go to the doctor for anything, so he never really uses the "supplemental services". It's mostly for catastrophic care if that's needed, but of course the supplement, due to ACA, is for a lot more than catastrophic care. He just has to suck that extra stuff up for the catastrophic coverage, because relying solely on Medicare for that would have him bankrupt pretty darn quickly.

It seems Medicare, and in CA MediCal, mostly benefit people with no real assets. If you are elderly and own your home or have other assets, you're kinda stuck with the supplement to protect yourself financially.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2018, 01:39:44 PM »
To follow up on Hawkmoon's point, We don't have to look at other countries.  We have  perfectly good examples of what US Government run healthcare looks like.

VA Care:  Been beat to death many times, and while some studies say you it's not bad, true, they still do things like give a bunch of folks HIV by accident, and the backlog to be seen is still measured in years.

TriCare:  The gov run system to care for Active Duty troops and their families was so bad they hired a private company to run it.  And TriCare, while you will eventually get care is notorious among soldiers for long wait times, byzantine rules for referrals to see the provider you actually need, not enough providers at whichever facility you are at, and ER's chocked full of folks with colds.

Medicare: Doesn't provide enough care to meet the needs of it's members.  Requires at least one (prescription coverage) and usually two extra, private insurance plans to provide what most folks consider "OK" health care.  Also in an effort to remain solvent engages in price fixing that is leading providers to refuse it's members care totally, unless they have cash.

Medicaid:  I confess I don't know much about this programs effectiveness, but I know of no one that sings it's praises and considers it a good alternative to "private" insurance.

As one of the VAST majority of Americans that enjoys fast access to really very good healthcare (it is expensive, true, but it is available, and really quite good care) I'd like to see the proponents of a Single Payer government run system work well for it's members at anything approaching the efficiencies they claim they will get before I turn loose of my expensive private care.

Before you come in here trying to sell the benefits of "Medicare for All" make Medicare work for ANY, without supplements.  To my Congress critters I say: "Don't try to sell me on how good it might be.  Make one of your existing systems good, and SHOW me how good it is."