Author Topic: The New Magnum PI  (Read 5122 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The New Magnum PI
« on: August 04, 2018, 10:46:47 PM »
I just read that CBS is debuting a Magnum PI reboot next month. Putting my old fuddy duddy pants on, and being a huge fan of the original, I do not approve. I should probably give it a chance, but they said they are doing a "crossover" thing with it and the new Hawaii Five-O (which I have also never seen). They have a young, female Higgins. Also, the preview stunts were a little over the top. I liked the more "real world" feel of the original.

Maybe it'll be a hit, but I'll stick with the original, which is still great after all these years. I could see maybe watching this new one if it was not Magnum PI, but rather some other action show.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/magnum-pi/268409/magnum-pi-reboot-release-date-trailer-and-news

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: The New Magnum PI
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 11:03:30 PM »
The little voice inside me suggests I check it out.   I like the Hawaii Five-O reboot and .... maybe .... I'll like Magnum.
Maybe not.   I don't know about the female Higgins. 

It won't hurt to check it out.   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 11:09:04 PM »
What should we reboot? The Fall Guy with a vaguely attractive Butch lesbian lead? Maybe Knight Rider where the car is a non binary genderfluid that thinks it's a horse?

I thin entertainment is dead, so at least leave the classics alone.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 11:12:57 PM »
They already tried a reboot of KNIGHT RIDER,  morphed into a Ford Mustang.  It was silly and lasted maybe half a season.
I don't care about FALL GUY, but wouldn't mind a reboot of THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN,  but they better do a nicer job than what they did in the dark and gloomy reboot fail of THE BIONIC WOMAN a few years back.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 11:24:53 PM »
They're just taking advantage of the old titles and plot lines. Sort of a show biz superstition.

Terry
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:49:13 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 12:01:44 AM »
It doesn't look good. But it may not be bad. What I don't like is that in the previews the car gets destroyed on two separate occasions. Did the Ferrari even get more than slightly damaged in the original series?

Also, while the original had action this one looks like it's going to be more focused on big stunts than on cases and the relationships between the three friends and Magnum and Higgins.

That is the stunts will come first and the rest will be be squeezed in just enough to set up the action rather than letting the plot drive the narrative and then having the action follow organically from that.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 12:15:58 AM »
Epic fail.  No mustache.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 08:12:56 AM »
Maybe Knight Rider where the car is a non binary genderfluid that thinks it's a horse

In a way they did...the remake from a few years ago had the Mustang KITT transforming into a van or pickup truck
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 09:09:52 AM »
It doesn't look good. But it may not be bad. What I don't like is that in the previews the car gets destroyed on two separate occasions. Did the Ferrari even get more than slightly damaged in the original series?

Also, while the original had action this one looks like it's going to be more focused on big stunts than on cases and the relationships between the three friends and Magnum and Higgins.

That is the stunts will come first and the rest will be be squeezed in just enough to set up the action rather than letting the plot drive the narrative and then having the action follow organically from that.

On the original, I think the Ferrari got destroyed maybe twice through the whole run. Most of the time it was little dings that had Magnum do his patent "cringe" expression, knowing what Higgens would say and do*. Plus the one off bullet holes in the Ferarri, as well as TC's helo.

I also agree on the focus. What I liked about the original were the relationships and minimal over the top action. You rarely saw any action movie acrobatics in fight scenes - it was usually a couple of punches or something, which you might expect in real life. That scene in the trailer with the new Magnum doing that jump from the Ferrari to the truck is like Legalos jumping on a mastodon in The Return of the King.

It's not that I don't watch and enjoy shows that do any of this stuff. It's, as I said, that I think I'd have a hard time watching this without constantly comparing to the excellent original. A whole new show with no Magnum connection? I'd likely tune out reality and watch it.

* In fact, I think one of the endearing things in the original was the whole Magnum child-like quality regarding the interactions with the stern parent Higgens. Magnum often worried more about what Higgens would do to him than what some armed criminal would do.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 11:31:49 AM »
I'm a pessimist.  Odds are it will be some sort of SJW dreck.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 11:49:39 AM »
I was a huge fan of the original.   Thursday nights on CBS were my favorite TV nights, other than Miami Vice on Friday.  I still watch the old Magnum.  All that said, I did watch the reboot of Five-O, and enjoyed the first couple of seasons.  I'll give the new one a few episodes to see how they do.  Hope they treat the theme song the same way they did the Five-O theme.  No real changes, just a new recording.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 12:43:51 PM »
Hope for the best, but expect the worst - that's pretty much my attitude toward the new Magnum, P.I. (Wonder if they'll ever have Tom Selleck do a cameo?)

The Hawaii Five-O reboot isn't entirely awful - only a few episodes really reeked. On the other hand, I sure won't miss the MacGyver reboot when it's cancelled.

I'm half-expecting some network genius to do a politically correct reboot of Bonanza . . . perhaps starring the cast of the most recent Ghostbusters movie.

[popcorn]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 12:48:36 PM »
In before Terry: that is 'Legolas'.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »
(Wonder if they'll ever have Tom Selleck do a cameo?)

I read another article where Selleck said he he wishes them well, but he won't be participating in any way, including cameos.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 12:55:20 PM »

I think I'm going too start just doing stuff like that on purpose instead of by accident. :)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 01:08:13 PM »
HankB remarked,

I'm half-expecting some network genius to do a politically correct reboot of Bonanza . . .

Oh, right, where Hop Sing is the business manager of the Ponderosa Foundation for Habitat for Humanity and Ecologically Sound Stewardship.  Gotcha.

I had no referent, so u're welcome to the win.

I think I'm going too <ahem, koff-koff> start just doing stuff like that on purpose instead of by accident. :)

Hey, I'm not the only correctologist here, you know.  fistful and Hawkmoon are also Grammar Guidance Counselors, among others.

Hmmm... should I have capitalized fistful?

"To the BatStyle Manual, Robin!"

"Holy Spellcheck, Batman!  Why not just put Hawkmoon first?"

"Excellent thinking, Boy Wonder !"

Terry, 230RN

Edited to correct "hod" to "had."
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 02:04:30 PM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 01:44:04 PM »
<ahem, koff-koff>

on porpose instead of by accident. :)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 01:54:15 PM »
^ I knew dat. Hence the "<>."  Sort of an "I know that was deliberate, but I didn't want you to think I missed it."  I could have  used a sic but I didn't think of it until now.

Oh, I almost forgot, pursuant to my previous remarks:

REF:
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_(Bruce_Wayne)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 07:17:45 AM »
I saw the TV trailer for it.

Higgins is a very hot blond woman....

Ah. Perdita Weeks. Ok, TURBO HOT blond woman.

Other than that, it looked absolutely awful.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 08:52:30 AM »
HankB remarked,

Oh, right, where Hop Sing is the business manager of the Ponderosa Foundation for Habitat for Humanity and Ecologically Sound Stewardship.  Gotcha.

I had no referent, so u're welcome to the win.

Hey, I'm not the only correctologist here, you know.  fistful and Hawkmoon are also Grammar Guidance Counselors, among others.

Hmmm... should I have capitalized fistful?

"To the BatStyle Manual, Robin!"

"Holy Spellcheck, Batman!  Why not just put Hawkmoon first?"

"Excellent thinking, Boy Wonder !"

Terry, 230RN

Edited to correct "hod" to "had."

How dare you people not capitalize my name?! What unmitigated disrespect! Well, I never...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 08:53:06 AM »
I always liked the way his whole place was his man cave in the original series, before man cave was even a term.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2018, 09:22:30 AM »
I always liked the way his whole place was his man cave in the original series, before man cave was even a term.

Yeah, me too. Also how it was part of that dichotomy between the honorable soldier and the man who never quite grew up. I used to love the scenes in there where they would show him getting excited about making PB&Js before watching some old movie, or else like the time Higgins barged in while Magnum was looking for something he had lost in the mess of the man cave, and they show him popping up wearing a gorilla mask, which he evidently stumbled on and then put on as he continued looking for his lost item.

I guess I liked scenes like that partially because they were something I would do (have done) so I related.  :laugh:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 09:37:31 AM »
Ha. I can see now why Tom Selleck refuses to support the new show. It apparently debuted, and the first thing that happened was some group is already complaining that it is not diverse enough and that they need to fire the Hispanic playing Magnum and hire a Hawaiian. Producers respond by listing all the LGBTQHJGFHGLDJG people they have on the show instead of saying FOAD. The real Magnum would have said FOAD. The real Higgins would have just said, "OH. MY. GOD!" :laugh:

Side note: I recently splurged on the DVD set of the complete series. I'm really enjoying watching the entire original again. Though I forgot how often Magnum walks around with his finger on the trigger of his 1911.  :laugh:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2018, 10:34:08 AM »
I'm going to give it a couple of episodes to see if it's any good, but to be perfectly honest, I don't think it's going to be worth watching.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2018, 11:59:33 AM »
Ha. I can see now why Tom Selleck refuses to support the new show. It apparently debuted, and the first thing that happened was some group is already complaining that it is not diverse enough and that they need to fire the Hispanic playing Magnum and hire a Hawaiian. Producers respond by listing all the LGBTQHJGFHGLDJG people they have on the show instead of saying FOAD. The real Magnum would have said FOAD. The real Higgins would have just said, "OH. MY. GOD!" :laugh:

Side note: I recently splurged on the DVD set of the complete series. I'm really enjoying watching the entire original again. Though I forgot how often Magnum walks around with his finger on the trigger of his 1911.  :laugh:

Not. Good. News.   :mad: