Author Topic: New Ford Ranger Will be $25K Base Price  (Read 797 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
New Ford Ranger Will be $25K Base Price
« on: August 14, 2018, 11:05:29 PM »
While I can see the new Ranger approaching F150 prices in the mid-range packages, $25K seems a bit high for base. I think you can still get a base F-150XL for around $27K, and an "XLT light" kinda package for around $500 more.

In a base truck at that price point, I think I'd rather have the F-150 with its bigger bed than the base Ranger. Though maybe the Ranger target audience won't be using it as a truck much, which, truth be told, is the same for a lot of F-150 owners. I've seen F-150 owners worry about getting a scratch in the bed like it was the hood of their Ferrari or something.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/08/14/2019-ford-ranger-priced-at-25395-order-books-opened.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: New Ford Ranger Will be $25K Base Price
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 11:43:12 AM »
I'm limping along with my old F250 waiting for the ranger debut before I decide which way to go.
I want to be able to park it in my garage and it has to be 4x4 but I no longer need the capacity of the 3/4 ton truck. And I want really good gas mileage. The 150 would work ok but the dealer assures me the Rangers will be priced a step under the 150. The only engine offered in the new ranger is a 2.3l Eco boost with a new 10 speed tranny. Expected mpg of 30 sounds pretty good with decent towing and power.
I also like fords new tech.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 11:56:59 AM »
I have an F-150.  I was considering getting one of the smaller pickups mainly because I don't need the max load and towing capability.  I thought the smaller truck might be easier to get around in and sits just as high. 

When I looked at the cost difference between loaded Toyota and Ford pickups, the full size ended up being about $10K higher than the loaded Toyota Tacoma.  I was leaning toward the Tacoma mainly due to reputation for reliability, but I do like the turbocharged engines Ford is building.  My last vehicle that was not a full size truck was a Chevy S-10 Blazer and it had a few (or more) issues. 

Other than that, the Ranger (at first glance) looks just like an F-150 with little or no styling difference.  Maybe I will see one in person soon and get a better look. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 12:03:34 PM »
I'm limping along with my old F250 waiting for the ranger debut before I decide which way to go.
I want to be able to park it in my garage and it has to be 4x4 but I no longer need the capacity of the 3/4 ton truck. And I want really good gas mileage. The 150 would work ok but the dealer assures me the Rangers will be priced a step under the 150. The only engine offered in the new ranger is a 2.3l Eco boost with a new 10 speed tranny. Expected mpg of 30 sounds pretty good with decent towing and power.
I also like fords new tech.

FWIW the Ranger (at least the Asia and aussie market ones this is based on) is a 3/4 ton truck.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 01:08:14 PM »
Still too much money for people that need a truck, whether Ranger or full size F150. I think we need a dual registration scheme, some sort or rural use vehicle that could by license be excluded from freeways and urban areas but in return be free from federal mandates that make cars expensive. Crash standards, airbags, onboard electronics all gone. 1990s level emissions equipment, no fuel standards that neccesitate complex engine modes, hybrids, etc. Just a truck. Put together like an 80s Nissan pickup.

My solution to this was made in 1983, but is only viable because I can rebuild the transmission that I need to rebuild currently. The pool of beaters is ever shrinking.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 02:50:11 PM »
Still too much money for people that need a truck, whether Ranger or full size F150. I think we need a dual registration scheme, some sort or rural use vehicle that could by license be excluded from freeways and urban areas but in return be free from federal mandates that make cars expensive. Crash standards, airbags, onboard electronics all gone. 1990s level emissions equipment, no fuel standards that neccesitate complex engine modes, hybrids, etc. Just a truck. Put together like an 80s Nissan pickup.

My solution to this was made in 1983, but is only viable because I can rebuild the transmission that I need to rebuild currently. The pool of beaters is ever shrinking.

As long as by "Rural Use" you mean not on public roads at all, you can do that.

I actually get what you are saying, but sometimes I think folks don't really understand what it would take to build a 1980's pickup today.

My first truck, in 1995, was an '82 Datsun extended cab 4x4.  Exactly the "basic" truck you are thinking about.  MSRP on that truck (according to cargurus.com) was $9,244 in 1982.  Inflation calculator (BLS.com) says that's $24,703.54 now.  So what a Ranger starts at. A 2019 Ranger SuperCab 4x4 XL, which seems to be the closest cross of my DLX Datsun* is $28,460 so a little more then the 80's pickup in real cost but not a ton.

Honestly, given that a Polaris Ranger 1000, which is a hopped up ATV (None of those pesky highway standards here), is $15,499 base price I don't know how much of an actual truck one could get for less then $20-$25k no matter how many standards they ignore.  I suspect that economies of scale have long since kicked in with street legal vehicles.

*It's hard to cross exactly on the models, DLX was a loaded truck in 1982, while XL is "stripped" now, but when actually looking at the equipment the XL has more stuff, so I feel the comparison is still good.  In 1982 the tach was optional.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 04:00:56 PM »
I had a "basic" truck once. It was a 1971 F100 with an AM radio, 6 cyl with manual tranny and a limited slip rear differential. Vinyl bench seat and rubber floor mat. I paid $900 for it (used) including the 2 spare rims with mounted studded snow tires.
It was a great truck and I drove it until I traded it for one of my favorite vehicles ever- a tank disguised as a 1974 Cherokee chief.
What we have here is failure to communicate.