Author Topic: The Catholic church now opposes the death penalty  (Read 5535 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Re: The Catholic church now opposes the death penalty
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2018, 09:49:21 PM »
freakzoid said,

"I always have to go back and copy/paste the quote if I need to. I wonder if there is some way to have it automatically do this."

There is, but I think "they" tried to fix the problem of nested quotes, where by the time two or three quotes appeared within a quote, the horizontal width of the first quote was, like, only 5 or 6 letters wide and was essentially unreadable.

Terry

Yes. The quote function used to grab everything, if memory serves. That was changed, because people were quoting quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations of quotations.

I like the new way. People should quote what they're responding to, and not just quote the entire thread.

Yes, people were "nesting" quotes to the point it got out hand.  This is why we can't have nice things.

So true.

Indeed.

I concur.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2018, 12:45:09 AM »
More nice things can always be made to disappear....

:police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2018, 07:48:29 AM »
OK, summing up the church's position on three seminal issues...

Abortion -- Against

Death Penalty -- Against

Child Sodomy -- Tacitly against, in practice for.

Yeah, I'm going to run right out and sign up to be a mackerel snapper...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2018, 01:11:13 PM »
OK, summing up the church's position on three seminal issues...

Abortion -- Against

Death Penalty -- Against

Child Sodomy -- Tacitly against, in practice for.

Yeah, I'm going to run right out and sign up to be a mackerel snapper...

MORE PEDANTRY ALERT!!

Tacitly and in practice are kinda the same thing.

Shockingly, one of my above off-the-cuff comments was incorrect. It turns out Father Frankie has ruffled some conservative Catholic feathers by saying the death penalty is an attack on human dignity - something that apparently contradicts what previous popes have said. And I'm presuming all of these comments are of oh-so-infallible ex cathedra type. Uh-oh.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2018, 02:31:13 PM »

I'm not opposed to the concept of capital punishment.  But the justice system has proven itself too fallible to be trusted with such power.

The landmark Brady Case with respect to exculpatory evidence:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brady_disclosure

Following Brady, the prosecutor must disclose evidence or information that would prove the innocence of the defendant or would enable the defense to more effectively impeach the credibility of government witnesses. Evidence that would serve to reduce the defendant's sentence must also be disclosed by the prosecution. In practice this doctrine has often proved difficult to enforce. Some states have established their own laws to try to strengthen enforcement against prosecutorial misconduct in this area.

I found that in a discussion of the release of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, the boxer who had been convicted of murder.  In this case, "only" life in prison was involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubin_Carter

Three years later, Carter's attorneys filed a petition for a writ of habeas corpus in federal court. In 1985, Judge Haddon Lee Sarokin of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey granted the writ, noting that the prosecution had been "predicated upon an appeal to racism rather than reason, and concealment rather than disclosure," and set aside the convictions.[26] Carter, 48 years old, was freed without bail in November 1985.

Terry

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:47:20 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.