Author Topic: Windows alternatives  (Read 1401 times)

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
Windows alternatives
« on: May 08, 2005, 12:22:12 PM »
A friend is setting up an office computer. She will run Open Office instead of MS Office. My question is: do any Unix operation systems have capability to read and input Chinese (Mandarin) characters AND have graphical interfaces roughly similar to Windows XP? Mac OS X is excluded from consideration because it won't run on standard PC hardware, AFAIK.

Azrael256

• friend
Windows alternatives
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 01:15:57 PM »
Yes.  You should have no trouble with Unicode support in Linux.  For GUI, I prefer Gnome with the Metacity windowmanager.  It is very MacOS-like in its appearance, but it is very easy to use.  KDE is your other option.  I don't care for it, but it is a fine setup.

Wildalaska

• friend
Windows alternatives
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 09:54:47 PM »
we are using open office now at the shop instead of microsift, awesome piece of free software it is

WildtheoutcastAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

Pebcac

• friend
Windows alternatives
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 06:56:21 AM »
Try Ubuntu Linux.  www.ubuntulinux.org" target="_blank">www.ubuntulinux.org.  It has Mandarin support, and some screenshots are available here:  http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=206&slide=1.
Problem exists between computer and chair.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Windows alternatives
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 08:35:00 AM »
There are several good* linux distros out there:
Redhat/Fedora
Suse
Mandrake
knoppix

I have the most experience with Redhat/Fedora and every install I have done has given me the option of one, several or all language support.  I always choose "all."  I have never had a problem with displaying oriental characters as I have had with Windows.

There is a truckload of awesome software out there, free for the download.  The latest I have played with is tellico, a ctalog tool that will take your book's ISBN, search an online database, and populate the book data fields for you.  

* "good" defined as relatively easy to install & use.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cordex

• Administrator
Windows alternatives
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 06:44:21 AM »
For personal use with limited Linux experience I'd say Mandrake.  Red Hat has been good too, but I haven't played with their newest versions so I can't say for certain.  As I recall, Mandrake has decent Asian language support.

Debian is another good distro, but a tad harder to initially set up than Mandrake.