Author Topic: Woman leaves son in car  (Read 978 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Woman leaves son in car
« on: August 27, 2018, 07:33:53 PM »
Not what you might think. Quit suburb in Virginia, in March. Busybody alerts the police.
https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/parenting/a22724843/kim-brooks-son-legal-battle/
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Woman leaves son in car
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 07:59:59 PM »
George Orwell would be so proud of what we've done to America .... Land of the free .... home of the brave.   Yessir. [barf]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 10:30:53 PM »
In the months that followed, I pieced together what had happened. A stranger saw me leave my son in the car or came upon him after I’d gone into the store. They recorded him playing his game. They recorded my license plate. They recorded me driving away. At some point they called the police. Someone must have filed a complaint. But what kind of complaint? Had I endangered my child? Had I broken a law? It didn’t seem to matter. All that mattered was that someone thought they had seen a child in danger and had said something — not to me, but to the authorities.

What was the danger?

As soon as I returned home, I spoke with a lawyer, who did his best to persuade the police that I was a good mom who’d had a momentary lapse in judgment, with no history of abuse or neglect. The police wouldn’t tell him whether they planned to press charges — I’d just have to wait and see. And so that was what I did.

What lapse in judgment?

Virginia, like most states, has few guidelines about how closely parents are expected to supervise their children. As a result, I was charged not with leaving my son in the car, but with the misdemeanor of contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

How does leaving a 4-year old playing with his toys in any way contribute to delinquency?

The inmates are running the asylum. But ... we already knew that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 09:22:33 AM »
I'll admit: there have been several times I've seen a child left alone in a car, and planted myself nearby to keep an eye on things. But never felt the need to call the police
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 09:53:38 AM »
What was the danger?

What lapse in judgment?

How does leaving a 4-year old playing with his toys in any way contribute to delinquency?

Word is, she left a Pop-tart in the car. The kid was just finishing the trigger assembly when the authorities arrived.

Scary stuff.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 11:25:43 AM »
Word is, she left a Pop-tart in the car. The kid was just finishing the trigger assembly when the authorities arrived.

Scary stuff.

:rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 11:43:44 AM »
I'll admit: there have been several times I've seen a child left alone in a car, and planted myself nearby to keep an eye on things. But never felt the need to call the police

You're just not vindictive enough.
"It's good, though..."