Author Topic: #4 buckshot at Cabela's  (Read 1353 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
#4 buckshot at Cabela's
« on: September 03, 2018, 11:43:30 AM »
I feel like a trip to Cabela's today is in order.  Does anyone have a particular favorite load of 12 gauge # 4 buckshot that is available at Cabela's?  This will be for the 'bump in the night' Ithaca 37.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: #4 buckshot at Cabela's
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 10:42:45 PM »
Why do you like #4?  

Just curious.  I never had a defense shotgun until recently.  Primary Arms had a sale on the Mossberg Maverick 88 for about $189 so I bought one.  Most of the ammo variety available is in 00 Buck.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 07:19:18 AM »
I prefer the Remington myself, but I think any major brand is going to be fine.

I also prefer No. 4 buckshot, but I keep 5 rounds of S&B roll crimped 00 buck in a carrier on the shotgun. The roll crimp gives it room for 3 extra pellets in a load -- 12 as opposed to 9 in a standard load with a folded crimp.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ammo-12-gauge-sellier-and-bellot-2-3-4-00-buck-12-pellets-lead-1180-fps-10-round-box-21188-754908533084.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=117573

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 09:52:40 PM »
Based on my reading, I think #4 buckshot offers a good mix between stopping power and risk of overpenetration in the scenarios that I would be using it.  A bit of a moot point right now, insofar as the local Cabela's had absolutely no 12 gauge # 4 buckshot on the shelves.  Cases and cases of birdshot, several boxes of Herters defense load (O buck plus one large ball) and a few boxes of Olin 00 military buckshot.   Similar slim pickings on the 20 gauge and .410 shelves as well.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 10:18:19 PM »
I like Federal reduced recoil and/or LE military. Pretty much the same. At seven yards out of my no choke 870 it is minute of bad guy. In fact every minute, spread is all over a standard torso target.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 03:43:32 AM »
At seven yards ... spread is all over a standard torso target.

That seems like an excessive spread.  I think you should be able to get a better group than that, if you want.

Federal Flight Control gets good reviews from the shotgun guys I know.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 07:19:03 AM »
Try Walmart. They often have No 4 on the shelves. That's where I got my last box.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 08:57:33 AM »
Nada at my local WalMart and LGS.  So I just picked up a few boxes of this from Midway based on reviews and that it was in stock:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019749778/remington-ultimate-defense-buckshot-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-reduced-recoil-4-buckshot-21-pellets

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 09:52:24 AM »
I like Federal reduced recoil and/or LE military. Pretty much the same. At seven yards out of my no choke 870 it is minute of bad guy. In fact every minute, spread is all over a standard torso target.

My Police 870 shoots minute of pie plate at 15 yards with Fed reduced recoil 00.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 11:16:59 AM »
That seems like an excessive spread.  I think you should be able to get a better group than that, if you want.

Federal Flight Control gets good reviews from the shotgun guys I know.

That's what slugs or the 8 round turkey choked 870 are for. :D. I have primarily become a slug guy and the first choice in shotguns is the Ithaca cop trade in with rifle sights.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 11:34:47 AM »

He's using #4, not 00.

Out of an 18" cylinder bore barrel that's about the spread I recall getting with #4 (roughly 14-16"). With 00 I could cover the spread with my hand. Caveat Emptor... It was an impromptu test, and was many years ago, but I'm reasonably sure my memory is accurate.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 11:49:54 AM »
He's using #4, not 00.

Out of an 18" cylinder bore barrel that's about the spread I recall getting with #4 (roughly 14-16"). With 00 I could cover the spread with my hand. Caveat Emptor... It was an impromptu test, and was many years ago, but I'm reasonably sure my memory is accurate.

Brad

That makes sense.  Much grass.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 03:00:21 AM »
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 07:25:23 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.