Author Topic: The front fell off.... window edition  (Read 518 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
The front fell off.... window edition
« on: October 09, 2018, 11:12:50 AM »
Last night at about 10PM we hear a loud thump.  Everyone is upstairs getting ready for bed.  I am looking around trying to figure out what the noise was and go into the boy's bedroom.  It's really breezy.  Low and behold....  the entire window fell out of the house and was laying in the lawn.  Luckily it didn't break.

I pushed it back into place and secured it with a couple of drywall screws.

We already have new windows on order, because most of the windows in the house have blown seals between the panes and are the original windows in the house (1998).  They are just past the 20 year Andersen warranty.

How did this happen?  The dumb ass who built the house (an architect no less which does not equal carpenter) installed remodel windows in new construction (no flange screwed in under the siding) and then did not secure them in any fashion.  The only thing holding them in place the last 20 years was the wood trim inside and the vinyl siding on the outside.  I spot checked a couple of others and I can wiggle the frames around so it is all of them installed this way.  

Today I am going to check out if I have any siding damage to deal with, luckily I have some leftover in the garage if there is.   And caulk the hell out of it to weather seal it until the new windows are in.

I hate the people who built this house.  Though I guess this will make replacement a lot easier.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 12:07:02 PM by 41magsnub »

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: The front fell off.... window edition
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 11:31:50 AM »
Sometimes houses just make you stand back, wonder, and feel dread over the stupid *expletive deleted*it you haven't found yet....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 12:35:44 PM »
Windows failing and exposing your system to security threats is a known problem.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 12:44:21 PM »
Sometimes houses just make you stand back, wonder, and feel dread over the stupid *expletive deleted*it you haven't found yet....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I've wondered that, and still keep finding more stupid *expletive deleted*it that I couldn't have even conceptualized before.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 01:36:54 PM »
Andersen's been pushing their lifetime guarantee a lot on TV.  I wonder if it might  pay to zing them on it despite their then-20-year guarantee.

So put on your command voice (or maybe your victim voice) and give them a call on it.

After all, as I always say, "If you don't ask for it, you won't get it."

Works for women, too.  But that's another story.

Terry

ETA:  This isn't the commercial I'm thinking of, with their infra-red thermometer bit, but it might be good ammo for you.  You might also check back with Warren (Reply #2) about the security threat for more history on the problem.

https://youtu.be/znbLGUm7rnU (2 min)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 02:11:32 PM »
I worked part time as maintenance at a small hotel: you would not believe some of the craziness I've seen (and sometimes, been responsible for). Anymore, if I wasn't present for the construction of a building, I brace for stupidity
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 02:43:54 PM »
I bet the expression on your face as you wiggled the windows to and fro was priceless.  One of those 'If I didn't see the stupidity with my own eyes, I would not have believed it' looks.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 03:01:26 PM »
Makes me feel extra secure in my house. Never noticed the windows had movement though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 03:41:08 PM »
I bet the expression on your face as you wiggled the windows to and fro was priceless.  One of those 'If I didn't see the stupidity with my own eyes, I would not have believed it' looks.

All I could do was laugh.  If the window had broken I would have been a lot more upset.  I guess I am going to do a lap of the house and stick some screws in each window frame.  At least I don't need to worry about making it pretty.  We have maybe a month until the new windows will be in.