Author Topic: About that there global warming  (Read 3265 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: About that there global warming
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2018, 08:35:14 PM »
I've been to the Atacama Desert. Yes, it is arid, but it does see precipitation. The salt lakes ("salares" in Spanish) didn't create themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atacama_Desert

Although the almost total lack of precipitation is the most prominent characteristic of the Atacama Desert, exceptions may occur. In July 2011, an extreme Antarctic cold front broke through the rain shadow, bringing 80 cm (31 in) of snow to the plateau, stranding residents across the region, particularly in Bolivia, where many drivers became stuck in snow drifts and emergency crews became overtaxed with a large number of rescue calls.[16]

In 2012, the altiplano winter brought floods to San Pedro de Atacama.[17][18]

On 25 March 2015, heavy rainfall affected the southern part of the Atacama Desert.[19][20] Resulting floods triggered mudflows that affected the cities of Copiapo, Tierra Amarilla, Chanaral, and Diego de Almagro, causing the deaths of more than 100 people.

We spent three nights in San Pedro de Atacama. My step-daughter currently works there. Don't believe everything the global warming climate change acolytes tell you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2018, 09:05:23 AM »
My grandparents lived in Tucson, AZ.  They said floods were not uncommon.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 07:08:16 PM »
Let's not commit the same error that the global warming acolytes make:  Confusing short term variations with long term trends.

And even worse: Making predictions from short term variations.

And believing the underlying assumption that a warming of the planet is necessarily bad.  Oh, there's that.  Almost forgot.

Terry
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 07:38:53 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2018, 07:37:37 PM »
Let's not commit the same error that the global warming acolytes make:  Confusing short term variations with long term trends.

According to the experts we’re in an interglacial period.

So warming is normal, until cooling starts up again.

They’ve got all their bases all covered.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2018, 08:12:58 PM »
I heard something interesting today on NPR.

When looking at climate and weather, think of climate as your personality and weather as your mood for the day.

A season or two of cold winter in one region (they mentioned NE) doesn't the rest of the world is cooling, or a couple hot summers in another region doesn't mean the world is warming.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2018, 08:26:21 PM »
I heard something interesting today on NPR.

When looking at climate and weather, think of climate as your personality and weather as your mood for the day.

A season or two of cold winter in one region (they mentioned NE) doesn't the rest of the world is cooling, or a couple hot summers in another region doesn't mean the world is warming.

It means that if you are picking what data sites to feed to your computer model or have some time to fill on the evening news.

I am open to the idea of warming or AGW. Hard to imagine seven billion people have zero effect. I am also open to the idea that science by definition isn't ever settled, car on dioxide self regulates, and that the scare is just a power grab. Further, I think that our exit from the little ice age coincided with moves away from the particulate heavy fuels of the industrial revolution. So right about the time we kept good temp records we also had made an industrial winter of sorts.

And anyway, I am way more concerned with global cooling. The stresses that the maunder minimum put on European society drove a lot of the wars, emigration to here, and the potato famine.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2018, 09:28:01 PM »
If I was climate and weather I'd be one consistent ahole of a season.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2018, 10:32:57 PM »
One of the things about being 75 years old at this time in history, is that I have been an interested observer for a lot of stuff that has occurred over my life time.  I understand my lifetime is nothing but less than an instant in the grand scope of the history of the universe and the Erf.  But still, I can offer at least 65 or so years of observations.

When I was a kid, most people heated with coal and fuel oil.  We lived in a lot of smoke in the winter time.  We had a lot of snow in the winter and it was really cold most of the time.   In the summer it was warm to hot and muggy.  It rained periodically.  But having said that, over the years we had winters that were not so cold and snowy (Even when it was smoky from coal and fuel oil) and summers that were not so hot and warm and muggy.  Sometimes it didn't rain all that often and sometimes it rained frequently.  If I could make one unscientific observation for my neighborhood:  with all the smoke gone because of natural gas heat, it's easier to breath and it's not so stinky, except for the luddites who heat their homes with wood when natural gas is so cheap and efficient.  My conclusion is that weather today is sometimes the same as it was when I was a kid, and also variable as I observed over the years.

I've done a bit of reading about the climate and the over riding jist of what I read seems to indicate that weather is arbitrary at best.  At worst there have been cycles of really cold times and really hot times over long periods of time.  I wonder if a good deal of guess work is involved there.    In other words it's pretty hard even with the evidence that is available to trust what I hear about "climate change" and "global warming".  What I do seem to detect is a good bit of evidence that there are motives behind what is broadcast and one can be very suspicious of those motives when one looks into where the conclusions and reports are coming from.  

I one doesn't believe that most every thing has been politicized for one reason or another, one, in my view, is a fool.  
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:39:58 AM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2018, 08:36:38 AM »
As a non scientist and non statistician this is the way I see it:

Computer models aren’t reality.

Computer models continue to do a terrible job of predicting future climate conditions.

Computer models do a reasonably good job on local weather out to a week or so.

Probabilities aren’t reality.

When “scientists” use the term “high confidence” they are generally referring to probabilities, probably.

Models and probabilities aren’t reality, they are guesses, educated guesses based on not just what is known but what the scientists or statistician thinks about various unknowns.

Models aren’t reality.

The certainty of man made catastrophic climate change that the .gov/ed/entertainment propaganda complex has instilled in people is frustrating. It’s the default presupposition and getting folks to examine let alone change a presupposition is near impossible.

I’m happy to stipulate that changing the chemical composition of our atmosphere is probably a bad idea.

I’m happy to stipulate that pumping billions of tons of particulate matter into our atmosphere probably has unintended bad consequences.

Somehow, if you are skeptical of the catastrophic climate change fear mongers you are branded as hating the planet and environment. You know people have been brainwashed when they can only boil the issue down into a simple binary choice.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2018, 10:05:33 AM »
I think a lot of things boil down to binary choices, just not always one choice or one question.

I agree with the last two posts though.  Regarding the former, my grandfather said he thought the weather moved in long cycles.  Occasionally I see things that point to him being right about that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2018, 10:32:46 AM »

I’m happy to stipulate that pumping billions of tons of particulate matter into our atmosphere probably has unintended bad consequences.

But didn't some pro-climate change group or agency just propose doing exactly that, within the past week or ten days, as a way of combatting man-caused climate change?

The irony is inescapable. When industry allows particulates to escape into the atmosphere as a byproduct of manufacturing or generation, it's bad. When "science" causes particulates to escape into the atmosphere as a product of some laboratory, it's good.

The science is settled. Yeah, right.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2018, 11:24:16 AM »
I don't quite know what to make of this, but I'll post the link so I can't be accused of hiding something.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6430691/Ocean-circulation-North-Atlantic-weakest-1-500-years-trigger-Ice-Age.html

The gist of this seems to be that changes in North Atlantic currents may herald another mini-ice age. Naturally, if we see a new ice age, it will be the result of global warming. (Honest -- I couldn't make this up.)

The research, co-led by Drs. Christelle Not and Benoit Thibodeau from the Department of Earth Sciences and the Swire Institute of Marine Science, The University of Hong Kong, is interpreted to be a direct consequence of global warming and associated melt of the Greenland Ice-Sheet.

230RN please take note: I am aware of the grammatical failing in the above, which actually says (but I don't think it means to say) that "The research ...  is interpreted to be a direct consequence of global warming and associated melt of the Greenland Ice-Sheet."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2018, 12:22:02 PM »
I don't quite know what to make of this, but I'll post the link so I can't be accused of hiding something.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6430691/Ocean-circulation-North-Atlantic-weakest-1-500-years-trigger-Ice-Age.html

The article is describing changes in climate and literally states "climate change is to blame."  Hmm, a changing climate is caused by a changing climate.  No!  Really?!?!?!?
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2018, 01:52:41 PM »
As a non scientist and non statistician this is the way I see it:

Computer models aren’t reality.

Computer models continue to do a terrible job of predicting future climate conditions.

Computer models do a reasonably good job on local weather out to a week or so.

Probabilities aren’t reality.

When “scientists” use the term “high confidence” they are generally referring to probabilities, probably.

Models and probabilities aren’t reality, they are guesses, educated guesses based on not just what is known but what the scientists or statistician thinks about various unknowns.

Models aren’t reality.

The certainty of man made catastrophic climate change that the .gov/ed/entertainment propaganda complex has instilled in people is frustrating. It’s the default presupposition and getting folks to examine let alone change a presupposition is near impossible.

I’m happy to stipulate that changing the chemical composition of our atmosphere is probably a bad idea.

Somehow, if you are skeptical of the catastrophic climate change fear mongers you are branded as hating the planet and environment. You know people have been brainwashed when they can only boil the issue down into a simple binary choice.

I wish I took more Stat classes instead of the just enough to graduate, but modeling is very good at predicting trends if you can use unbiased data. As AJ stated, you don't cherry pick the data you want.

Where modeling can fail is folks take the results and other trend results forget about correlation does not mean causation.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2018, 03:18:45 PM »
Hawkmoon:  OK, thanks.

Time for this again.  Not ten years.  Not 100 years, not a thousand years....

Four hundred thousand years:

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 01:40:21 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2018, 11:13:43 AM »
Man, I remember when Wired still wrote stories about computers and stuff. "No more ice". I'd like to see the 100 year climate event that will expose lakes that have been buried two miles deep in ice in the Antarctic for 15 million years. Idiots.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2018/11/30/on-fire-wired-science-has-the-hottest-of-global-warming-doomsday-predictions-for-todays-babies/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2018, 04:13:58 PM »
Alaska just had a major (7.2) earthquake. Start the countdown for how long it will take for some genius to blame in on man-made climate change.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2018, 06:28:25 PM »
Alaska just had a major (7.2) earthquake. Start the countdown for how long it will take for some genius to blame in on man-made climate change.

That already showed up on Twitchy. People were doing a combined Sarah Palin / global warming diss.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2018, 06:40:27 PM »
That already showed up on Twitchy. People were doing a combined Sarah Palin / global warming diss.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/11/30/proof-that-there-is-a-god-sarah-palins-post-earthquake-tweet-sends-haters-over-the-edge/

I like the one that mocked her by asking if it was "BIBLICAL RETRUBUTION" [sic].
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!