Author Topic: Thread locked on THR: Moderators are evil Stalinists  (Read 5470 times)

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
Thread locked on THR: Moderators are evil Stalinists
« on: January 29, 2007, 09:46:59 AM »
The following thread on THR was immediately locked down, EVEN THOUGH IT WAS GUN RELATED AND BROKE NO RULES.  The only reason given was that "we don't have a humor forum."   angry  Please read my original post and tell me what I did "wrong."  My thanks to Furious Styles for his sympathy. 

Even if my post was humorous, I don't see how that would have justified a clear violation of my right to free speech.  As it is, I am trying very hard to expand our penetration and market share, and would very much appreciate some help doing it.  It figures the Bush-drone moderators at THR don't want to help a small business they'd rather my store fold and all the money go to places like Wal-Mart that only sell cheap hunting guns.   angry

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=251461

Men-friendly gunstore, suggestions please.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just taken over the management of a gun store in a large metro area. Let's just say the previous management left a lot to be desired, and I've got to get the business back in shape.

I'm trying to attract the male market, which I think has been under-exploited with all the attention on female shooters lately. I'm looking for any suggestions to make my store more appealing and welcoming to guys.

I'm considering a name change, as the shop is currently called "She Shoots, She Scores!" Beyond that, we may need to scale back on the promotion of "Marksmanship Teas" and "Target Scrapbooking." Of course, we won't completely abandon those, as we value our female customers very highly. Also, we will be reducing our inventory of AR-15s and 9mm's, so we can also stock more masculine firearms. I'd appreciate any input on guns that would appeal to men shooters.

One of my ideas is to have a Superbowl Party at the store, with laser-equipped pistols we can use to dry-fire at the opposing team-members. Of course, I'll need to have my counter-guys brush up on their football knowledge, as they are more interested in show-tunes and such. I'll also be having some open-carry barbecues, so long as I can do so legally on the front sidewalk. Of course, my employees would rather go with fondu. 

Suggestions welcome, just please remember this is a family forum. Thanks!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: Thread locked on THR: Moderators are evil Stalinists
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 09:58:18 AM »
I recall another thread on THR long ago from someone claiming he weighed 300 lbs and needed advice on concealed carry for the nudist colony he was attending.  It was a joke, of course.  But that didnt stop the humor-impaired from opining about rectal holsters etc.
My mantra stands: I would never belong to any forum that would have me as a member.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Furious Styles

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 10:06:13 AM »
Yeah, and my reply was a flippin' classic, too!

sHOOTERS

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:20:28 AM »
I recall another thread on THR long ago from someone claiming he weighed 300 lbs and needed advice on concealed carry for the nudist colony he was attending.  It was a joke, of course.  But that didnt stop the humor-impaired from opining about rectal holsters etc.
I remember that thread.  It was hysterical. 

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 10:22:18 AM »
Even if my post was humorous, I don't see how that would have justified a clear violation of my right to free speech.

Well, that was your first mistake.  Who told you that you had a right to free speech on a privately-owned forum? (Seriously, you don't call the shots.)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 10:33:18 AM »
That post was mildly humorous, IMO.

Little different from some of the works of fiction they have let go on for uncounted pages.

You, however, touched on a subject one of the Mods is ah...a bit touchy.

[Insert disclaimer of your own discussing how the forum is owned by someone who can make their own rules, "free speech" principles do not apply, and so forth; so the humorless won't hector me for not paying homage to the aforementioned disclaimer.]
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 10:34:33 AM »
For folks that missed it, here's the Nudist Colony thread: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=19897

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 10:42:28 AM »
Seems the folks over at THR have grown more and more... something.  I can't put a finger on it but it seems that some of the mods have a tough time remaining objective, or at least applying an objective criteria to the way they police the forum.  They certainly are hair-trigger on the ban button all of a sudden.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 10:46:12 AM »

Even if my post was humorous, I don't see how that would have justified a clear violation of my right to free speech. 

Sorry- Nothing personal, but you're wrong.  This has nothing to do with Freedom of Speech.  It's a private forum.  You do not make the rules.

I will quote myself, because I think it gets the point accress that I am trying to make:

"Guys, and girls, it's not your site.  With the exception of ONE person, we are ALL guests.  If that ONE person wants to drop f bomb after f bomb, it's his house.  If he tells us we can't swear, then don't.  Where's the problem?  Are we that moronic that we can't handle this rule?  Is our vocabulary that simple?

Would you go into someone's house and put your feet on the coffee table after they ask you 100 times nicely not to?  Or do you claim to be protected by the 1st amendment?  THEN WHY DO IT HERE???"

One day at a time.

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 12:08:09 PM »
For those fascists who don't care about the right to free speech:

I guess you didn't bother to read my original post in the locked thread, did you? 

smiley

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 12:37:30 PM »
Yeah, I did read the original post, and it was humorous in a male chauvinistic sort of way.  Fascist?  I don't think so, cruise the forum here, at THR, TFL, and TRP and check my history. Mr. Ex-ma Hole hit the nail on the head, and I'm still curious who told you that you have the 1st Amendment protected right to free speech on a privately-owned internet forum. You can, of course, whine and bitch about it on another forum if they let you, but it's rather bad form to do that whining and bitching on a sister forum owned by the same people with the same moderators.  Self-critiquing, that is...   

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 12:45:45 PM »
Great.   rolleyes  Everybody's such freedom-loving libertarians until all of the sudden an owner of a private business wants some advice from his potential customers.  At that point, you all just assume I'm joking and shut down my thread.  And all I'm trying to do is bring men into the shooting sports, where they are under-represented.  Well, if I can't express myself on THR, what are my options?  I don't think the first ammendment reads "You have a right to free speech as long as you own an internet forum"   rolleyes angry

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 12:47:55 PM »
Seems the folks over at THR have grown more and more... something.

Thing is, if a place keeps banning all the longtime contributors and people who actually have discussions, it ends up with a "last updated" date of two years ago, a few spam posts, and rolling tumbleweeds.

It's happened to a lot of forums, it can happen to that one.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 01:06:05 PM »
Was it a joke or not? 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 01:19:18 PM »
Was it a joke or not?

Yeah, what he said.  Because now I'm having a hard time figuring out whether it was a tongue-in-cheek response to the other thread on THR about bringing more women into gun shops, or hardcore Jimmy Kimmel/Adam Carolla Man Show material...

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 01:19:54 PM »
Well, if I can't express myself on THR, what are my options?  I don't think the first ammendment reads "You have a right to free speech as long as you own an internet forum"   rolleyes angry

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Where does this say it applies to anything other than the government?
Don

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 01:37:09 PM »
The reason the First Amendment exists is to guarantee that "Congress...shall make no law...".  The rights it recognizes are there only to serve as a reminder of what government cannot restrict.

It is a clamp-down on the government's ability to restrict your speach. Current popular belief and usage to the contrary, the First Amendment says nothing about a person or people specifying what may or may not be appropriate within context of their private gathering or forum.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 01:44:56 PM »
Okay.

All straight guys here who have never lusted after models from Mike Dillon's catalog, please reply.

We're waiting...

Blog under construction

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 01:51:47 PM »
Okay.

All straight guys here who have never lusted after models from Mike Dillon's catalog, please reply.

One here. Seriously.
Andy

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 02:00:54 PM »
Another here.  But then, I've never seen the catalog.
Don

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 02:01:51 PM »
Quote from: Furious Styles
sHOOTERS

Love it!

My suggestion is "The Bull's hit"

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 02:05:35 PM »
Cosine, we gotta talk. Either about honesty, or about a nice appointment with an eye doctor before you go to the range again...

I mean, hey, I'm sure even Pope John Paul went to confession - and if he was a gun nut, well...

Blog under construction

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 02:09:14 PM »
Cosine, we gotta talk. Either about honesty, or about a nice appointment with an eye doctor before you go to the range again...

I mean, hey, I'm sure even Pope John Paul went to confession - and if he was a gun nut, well...

It's a matter of the will. It can be done.
Andy

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 02:09:15 PM »
Bigot!  Don't the lesbians have a right to answer your question?  But you would deny them their rights!

cheesy

OK, OK, the whole thing is a farce.  Man, it IS funny to see how many people I can rope in with that stuff.  I wish it weren't so easy, but there are just too many sad people who are serious about their right to post anything they want on Oleg's forums.  

laugh  laugh  laugh  Suckers!   angel

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2007, 02:18:29 PM »
While the whole thing is a farce, it's far too close to the truth to be believed.

I love it when someone invokes the Constitution, but either doesn't understand, or doesn't give a damn about, the Constitution, and then gets all huffy when it's pointed out that rights are a two-way street, not simply a magnificient font that pours forth on them, and them alone.

By virtue of the fact that you're breathing doesn't mean that your rights are absolute, that nothing and no one has any ability or right to restrain your actions, activities, or words.

That's a patently childish attitude, but one that's shared by a frightening number of people.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.