Author Topic: Thread locked on THR: Moderators are evil Stalinists  (Read 5468 times)

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Re: Thread locked on THR: Moderators are evil Stalinists
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2007, 11:47:59 AM »
Seems the folks over at THR have grown more and more... something.  I can't put a finger on it but it seems that some of the mods have a tough time remaining objective, or at least applying an objective criteria to the way they police the forum.  They certainly are hair-trigger on the ban button all of a sudden.

Brad

I am not sure about the hair trigger but there does seem to be something going on there of late. Could be just a phase the mods are going through.

THR is mild compared to some boards. And back before there was an Internet we had BBS's. Many of them were put up by teen aged male geeks who wielded power with the finesse of a bull.

If THR gets too restrictive the posters will move on.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2007, 11:50:06 AM »
And where do I buy the thing that automatically switches the guns for me?"

Yeah, the military really needs to look into that technology that lets you carry an anti-tank rocket, fifty reloads, shotgun and ammo, general-purpose machine gun and ammo, three long-guns with ammo, two subguns with ammo, three pistols with ammo, and a knife, and still allows you to instantly switch between any of them or your bare hands without dropping anything or having any trouble finding and reloading with the correct ammo for each piece. 

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2007, 12:21:29 PM »
"There are no criteria that need be met to enter."

Incorrect.

You must register, and in doing so you agree both to abide by the terms and conditions set down by the owner of the forum and to be bound by those terms and conditions.

If you don't like those terms and conditions, you're welcome to find another board where they're more to your liking.
I was waiting for just this response...

When the board stops abiding by the rules then all bets are off. It's not just me but many others who have noted the arbitrary and capricious way that the the mods at THR are enforcing the rules.

How can they expect the forum users to abide by the rules when they don't themselves...

Oh wait - raises hand - I know - I know.

Just like parents (or any other entity with authority) it's a DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO DEAL...

Does that about sum it up?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2007, 12:23:01 PM »
Time for Werewolf to start his own forum.  Hey, if GunKid can do it...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2007, 01:06:24 PM »
Time for Werewolf to start his own forum.  Hey, if GunKid can do it...

He is entitled to his opinion.

Truthfully I spend a lot less time there now compared to years past. I don't really even know why, I don't have a beef with the forum or how it is run.

It may be it is just bigger and filled with more people who don't understand the original vision.

For all practical purposes I am one of the original members of THR. When I joined I was relatively new to firearms and shooting. I lurked for years without posting, much of my philosophy about firearms and self defense was formulated from reading threads at THR.

I think the reason I spend less time there is because most of my questions are answered. I also have this place to BS with folks of like mind about firearms but different ideas and interests in other areas. So THR has fulfilled its main function for me, I can get the gunfolk camaraderie here.

Just looked, member since 12-25-02, member#785

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2007, 03:23:24 PM »
"When the board stops abiding by the rules then all bets are off."

Who are you to determine if the "rules" as you INTERPRET them are being broken?

You've just given us a wonderous example of one of the major problems in American society today -- Sense of Entitlement.

Hint for you, just because you're sucking oxygen doesn't mean that anyone, least of all the owners/moderators of an internet posting board whose services you receive for free, owes you anything.

It's an amazing show of hubris on your part to even dream that they do.

For God's sake, be a man, not a purling, whining little bitch. If you don't like how a board is being run, don't try to claim some right to ownership over it.

Either take your problems to the owner of the board or his designated representatives, leave that board and find one that is more nurturing to your badly overdeveloped sense of entitlement, or found your own board when you can make, and interpret, your rules as you see fit.

Just stop being a punk-ass little wimp crybaby because not everyone sees fit to cater to your every whim.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2007, 03:27:15 PM »
At least I can still make fun of Gewher 98

Well, if you're gonna do it, at least spell it right.

And don't forget, turnabout is fair play.

I just retired after 20 years flying WC-135 and B-52. The VA just issued my my combat disability rating this week.  I have a keenly developed sense of humor after that.  My wing commander reminded us all, "It's funny if just one person laughs."  So bring it on, the worst they could do is ban me...  Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2007, 03:27:44 PM »
Jeez Irwin, quit sugercoating and just say what you really feel.

grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2007, 04:35:55 PM »
1. Why not email or PM me with the question? The original thread seemed inoffensive to me, but I don't watch over the moderators unless someone complains.

2. THR mission and procedures have been under discussion lately. They will be clarified later this week.

3. We are not Stalinists. More like a mix of Pilisudski and Kemal.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2007, 05:27:19 PM »
THR mission and procedures have been under discussion lately. They will be clarified later this week.
Uh oh, that can't be good. Wink
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Furious Styles

« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2007, 07:51:48 PM »
THR mission and procedures have been under discussion lately. They will be clarified later this week.
Uh oh, that can't be good. Wink

Feast your eyes: http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=251835