Author Topic: Android help needed  (Read 411 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Android help needed
« on: October 05, 2018, 09:28:49 PM »
I installed a nice word processing app on a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 tablet. The big problem is that the fonts I'm most likely to encounter (including the ubiquitous Times New Roman) don't exist on the tablet. The word processor allows for importing fonts, and I have them on a USB stick with a microUSB connector ... but I can't figure out how to copy the font files off the stick to the tablet. I've tried four different file manager apps, and none of them seem to offer any way to copy files. (One of them doesn't even recognize the memory stick.)

Are there any Android gurus around who can help me figure this out?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Android help needed
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 09:34:59 PM »
copy to, then from Google Drive?

That's what I do when I want some particular file on my tablet.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 10:30:23 PM »
Or email the file to yourself, then download from there.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 10:40:43 PM »
copy to, then from Google Drive?

That's what I do when I want some particular file on my tablet.

Update: I got it done, more by accident than by design. I stumbled onto getting my desktop PC to see the tablet via USB cable, and I was able to copy the font files over from there. But I'm still terribly disappointed at just how useless the Android "file manager" apps have all been. Can anyone recommend one that actually allows to, you know, like ... manage your files? Of the four I tried, not one seems to allow moving or copying files from one place to another. How can they call themselves "file managers" when they don't allow you to manage your files? There's more to managing a file than being able to tap it and hope it'll open.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 09:45:38 AM »
I don't use any file managers. I just plug my phone into the computer when I pull pictures off.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 12:12:43 PM »
Android (or, at least, Samsung's flavor of Android) appears to distinguish between photos and video, and other types of files.